tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian
Denmark
København
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh damn, someone send this man a royalty check. It sounds like he's being ripped off by the EVIL EMPIRE of GMT games! How dare they pick on the little man like this!

I have an awesome idea for a new game though. It will have cards, a map and pieces representing soldiers, and I'll call it, "Advanced Corp Leader." The EVIL EMPIRE will truly reward me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Who in the hell are "THEY"? GMT?!?!? WOW! Don't injure yourself with THIS stretch...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Zimmerman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Did anyone see my website I tried to get going a few years back? Boardgamenerd.com? Yeah, I thought not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric hess
United States
La Selva Beach (Santa Cruz)
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How long ago did you pitch this entirely original idea of pairing card games with Avalon Hill styled games? Somewhere around 1994 or more recently?

Was your game called "By the People"? Or maybe "We are For the People"? "We Four People"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry, the LSD wears off in 8 hours or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Never even IMAGINED designing a game, so I'm definitely not bitter about THAT...

Go back and read your original post, please. You sound far from "honored". And what DID you want from the post? You mentioned you expected no royalty check or pat on the back. I guess I'm puzzled as to the intent of posting this to begin with.

No hostility here. Just curiousity...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, Matt, it's not uncommon for similar ideas to independently materialize at around the same time. And if you poke around, you might find that what seems like an original idea actually appeared earlier somewhere else. I think we sometimes even encounter an idea and forget we encountered it. Then, when the idea pops back into our heads, it seems like inspiration instead of just recollection.

Anyway, people often see game ideas they had, or even pitched, appear a little later somewhere else. It's rare that the idea actually came from them. That's how ideas are.

Anyway, this thread has, indeed, turned needlessly harsh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei Jen Seah
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think most people here got a bit offended because the tone of the original post came across as insinuating that Chad and team had somehow "stolen" this idea from him.

I suppose at the end of the day it's all about how you interpret words, but if there's one thing I learnt about the internet, it's that if there are 2 possible ways to interpret something, assume that the majority of people will always interpret it in the worst possible way
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My question to you is, "Have you actually played CC: E?" and if so, "Is it really like your game?" and if so, "How close is your 'game' and CC:E?"

Give us some greater point from which to gather insight to your thread, otherwise it is rather threadbare...

This: **It had a tiny map, cards with dice on them representing units and the name: CORPS COMMANDER. Your welcome guys.** doesn't quite pitch a compelling argument.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Ng
United States
Dayton
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Or give us a free copy of Corps Commander and we decide for ourselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MiracleMat wrote:
Thank you guys for the more rationale replies to my rant. I would appreciate those with negativity to just stay away.

It is entirely possible that similar ideas were conceived simultaneously and considering the powerhouse of games and talent that comes out of GMT, I wouldn't be surprised if this was in the works for a while, even before I pitched it.

I would be thrilled to find out out that they actually designed a game based on my idea. Immediately after I wrote this thread (before reading any responses) I wrote an email to GMT, asking politely if they were inspired by my idea and shoe-horned in an inquiry as to whether or not they are looking for more ideas.

MiracleMat wrote:

I would be thrilled to find out out that they actually designed a game based on my idea.

If you are thinking that 'they' at GMT may have pulled your idea from your experience at GAMA,I would tend to doubt it. I met Chad at a convention in 2005. He had been working at his idea for over a year. I loved his idea and told him I would buy two copies if he could get it published. I suggested that he talk to the guys at GMT, or some other company.

He had already begun the process of pitching his idea to a publisher, ultimately GMT did publish his game.

Given that you have a creative streak, and you have taken a design to GAMA and then dropped it, my suggestion is to get the creative juices flowing, once again, and pitch your game again, then follow up!

Chad is a powerhouse of creative game creation. He had been working on CC:E for sometime. Since this game, he has designed two others, and is working on a completely new design.

GMT ~ they ~ did not take your design. Chad did not take your design. It seems that you took your design, then left it at the altar. Fire up those game design juices and pound out another game.

Also, a map, your map design, is not enough of an argument. What does/ did your game play like? What other features does it have? I think you may find resistance because CC: E is one of the most popular games, (in games played), in the wargame realm.

Then to come along and find your Thread, it seems to demean the publisher, and in ways, the designer as well. This is, for the most part, not particularly well recieved in the general BGG community.

Asking those 'with negativity' to just stay away, again steps on the toes of having a well rounded discourse on issues, or concerns that you are bringing up in a public forum. To ask for only those who agree with the side that you prefer is a bit, 'On the Far Side' of reason.

The phone, the light bulb, the pyramids, the airplane, the cell phone, etc., were all being worked on by multiple people simultaneously. Sometimes without knowing others were also doing so, sometimes with knowing that others were doing so. Do consider that your idea, was not only your own, even when you were working on it, and that others found a similar source of inspiration of and beyond your own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Curtis Anderson wrote:
Actually, Matt, it's not uncommon for similar ideas to independently materialize at around the same time.

In this case, it's not even remotely similar. A division-level game with odds-based CRT is anything like a squad-level game with attack strength based on firepower compared to defender's morale?? Come on. I can point to 50 wargames published in the last five years that are more similar to this guy's game than Combat Commander is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Ng
United States
Dayton
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
To OP:
What about the cards and game mechanics?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian
Denmark
København
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...but guys! Didn't you hear his REVOLUTIONARY idea? It was totally stolen! We're just jealous because we've never "made it" as designers, I know I am! It's just a shame that horrible GMT steals these great ideas from such hard working and dedicated folk.

I'm not defending Combat Commander for any reason, other than this has to be one of the dumbest things I've heard here on the geek, and that's REALLY saying something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beyak
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
Combat Commander gets your blood flowing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt,

I was involved with the play testing of CC from the beginning, and let me assure you now, no one from GMT approached Chad with any idea for this game let alone a similar idea. Chad did not attend GAMA and did not steal your idea. Chad had been working on this game for years and it had morphed several times into what is now CC. When he finally got it to a marketable state HE approached GMT with his idea. I think that is generally how GMT works too. They don't throw out ideas to the game designer asking them create a game around this or that. They don't need to. So, no need to feel honored.

I think the hostility we see in this thread is a result of folks seeing you trying to take some credit for a game they enjoy and you really have no evidence to support that. Your map, although very nice, is not really very good evidence that someone stole your idea.

I agreed with Will when he said you ought to get your creative juices flowing and design your game. Go ahead and pitch it to GMT or some other publisher. Hey, play CC too! It might give you a few ideas you can borrow for your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt:

Did your game have tanks in it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we need an option to give "Thumbs DOWN" to a thread. Must admit that I felt very hostile when I read the original smarmy, self-satisfied post. Feel like going 'ad hominem' but I try to resist those impulses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Barratt
United Kingdom
Royal Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last time I wrote an idea down on paper and gave it away, I never got it back. Three years later, Microsoft Word for Windows!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Borat Sagdiyev
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The best thing to do with threads like this is to ignore them or report them to a moderator (I've just done the latter).

What this guy is suggesting is plain ridiculous. The only reasonable explanation that I can find is that he doesn't know very much about games' design in particular (where are those wonderful games of yours, matt? I don't seem to find a single one of them in BGG) or creative development in general.

Btw, the map in matt's gallery looks exactly as a really bad copy of Panzerblitz, but doesn't have much to do with any of the CC:E maps have been published. Apart from the hex grid, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MBarratt wrote:
Last time I wrote an idea down on paper and gave it away, I never got it back. Three years later, Microsoft Word for Windows!

So, now we know who to blame!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Borat Sagdiyev
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the comments might have been nasty.

But the OP's message was not only unnecessarily sarcastic ("I guess they liked my idea...") but a simple and plain libel, as all the evidence that he has offered so far to support his case is just ridiculous.

On the other hand, I don't think that feeling strongly enough about something allows you to insinuate that other people have been dishonest and smear their names for free. That is entirelly uncalled for, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Borat Sagdiyev
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MiracleMat wrote:

I wish I could re-word the original post which many of you took wrong (this will generate a dozen more hostile replies, no doubt).

Maybe you should do that. It's as easy as editing your first post and the title of this thread.

Quote:

You people seem to come from a country or part of the world where lies and deceit are a way of life. My heart goes out to you.

That sounds kind of funny coming from somebody that insinuated that somebody had taken for free his idea.

Quote:

My experiences up until now on BGG and in the gaming world in general have been almost nothing but goodwill and generosity.

That's also my experience.

Maybe your first post (and, above all, the title of this thread) was not so nice and goodwilling in the first place.

And maybe that's the main reason why this thread has become so hostile. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Yes, there was armor in my game.

Well, this right here is enough evidence for me that the games are not related. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.