Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: A Call to Arms! WargameGeek.com should be born! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ezekiel Henshaw
United States
California
flag msg tools
I think it's a great idea,but why make a new site when we everything we need right here?

I guess I am with you but I'm a Admin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenBear wrote:
I see that the domain is held...but why no site? How difficult can it be to set up a WargameGeek.com based on the existing template. I'd be happy to help admin...

We need a home of our own.

Who's with me?!

Considering I like wargames and nonwargames I rather like having both on this site. There's already Consimworld for those who want their wargames unadulterated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
Who's with me?!

I must disagree.

We need to turn more BoardGameGeeks into WargameGeeks.

We can do that more effectively by working within the BGG framework.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezekiel Henshaw
United States
California
flag msg tools
I change my mind dude,there is just no point in making a new website when BGG has everything in one.

Pete:Alot of people who come here are not interested wargames.making it a all-wargame site will make BGG lose alot of visitors.Remember,Wargames are 1 out of many genres of board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kostek
United States
Camano Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sorry to rain on your parade, but I'm very happy w/ BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezekiel Henshaw
United States
California
flag msg tools
Remember when Tide of Iron came out?I did like how they edited the geek for the game but I fine with BGG the way it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenBear wrote:
CommanderZeke wrote:
I think it's a great idea,but why make a new site when we everything we need right here?

I guess because I have come to realise...I'm a Wargamer not so much a boardgamer! I don't pay attention to most of the game posts here and simply think that there is enough demand to have a site dedicated to wargaming alone.

WargameGeek.com

Why Not?!

we are not like the others....

There's more content here than anyone can keep up with. Just ignore the parts you don't like.
I'm no fan of train games, for example, but I'm sure there's lot of stuff about them here. It's just invisible to me because I pay it no mind.
If all you're interested in is wargames than merely keep your spotlight on those. You're going to have to be selective anyway. Even in wargaming there's an awful lot to keep up on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well they're not called Wargamegeek but the two sites I use to focus solely on wargames are:

Web-Grognards at http://www.grognard.com/
Consim World at http://www.consimworld.com/

For content, BGG is perfect just the way it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezekiel Henshaw
United States
California
flag msg tools
wargamer55 wrote:
GreenBear wrote:
CommanderZeke wrote:

I guess because I have come to realise...I'm a Wargamer not so much a boardgamer! I don't pay attention to most of the game posts here and simply think that there is enough demand to have a site dedicated to wargaming alone.

WargameGeek.com

Why Not?!

we are not like the others....

There's more content here than anyone can keep up with. Just ignore the parts you don't like.
I'm no fan of train games, for example, but I'm sure there's lot of stuff about them here. It's just invisible to me because I pay it no mine.
If all you're interested in is wargames than merely keep your spotlight on those. You're going to have to be selective anyway. Even in wargaming there's an awful lot to keep up on.

He's right,except for the main page,I've never seen a non-wargame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I much prefer using BGG. The software on BGG is very useful for keeping track of variants, game play, external links and images for board and miniature wargaming as well. (I've uploaded about 30 game entries, most of which were miniatures or wargames.) I can certainly sympathize that a person who's interested in only wargames might not want to wade through all the other posts. Perhaps the BGG admins might be interested in creating such a filter, but I'd be concerned that you might miss some traffic of interest. I assume you're already on Consim World?

The only reason why I would be interested in seeing wargames and miniatures games in a separate site would be if there was an overall improvement in manageability and traffic. If it's judged to be better for the stability of the BGG site for the admins to offload wargames and minis games to a separate domain/database, then I'm all for it, but I even then, I would still like to be interested in searching across both sites. Otherwise, we may end up arguing where a game belongs (e.g., is Hellas, Memoir '44, etc. a wargame?).

Kent
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wargamer55 wrote:
GreenBear wrote:
I see that the domain is held...but why no site? How difficult can it be to set up a WargameGeek.com based on the existing template. I'd be happy to help admin...

Who's with me?!

Considering I like wargames and nonwargames I rather like having both on this site. There's already Consimworld for those who want their wargames unadulterated.

Yup.

I'll never understand the apparent need for people to segregate themselves into different groups that have no interaction.

What's wrong with having all the wargame and euro/amerigame content in one place, here? Draws more visitors to ALL content that way, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:

Quote:
Who's with me?!

I must disagree.

We need to turn more BoardGameGeeks into WargameGeeks.

And that's a VERY valid argument!

While Twilight Struggle is a borderline case, Tide of Iron and Hammer of the Scots are both very definitely pure wargames (although maybe simplified in some areas). Would either have been as wildly popular as they have been (a GMT game that needed THREE reprints in the span of only a couple years?) if not for the cross-pollination of interests from having them here on BGG, alongside otherwise 'familiar' Euroes?

Somehow, I doubt it.

And anything that brings NEW blood into the hobby, I'll never argue with.

But taking our toys and sitting in the corner with them on our own...isn't going to do a lot to bring new gamers to the light!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt Mulder wrote:
Well they're not called Wargamegeek but the two sites I use to focus solely on wargames are:

I agree ! I ignore most of the non wargame stuff here but I still love the place.If we secede it might feel like a ghost town.Pete is right!I think we are getting a small but steady amount of new wargamers(future grognards?)by exposing the rest of the geeks to our games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt Mulder wrote:

I think those are all we really need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
XanderF wrote:
wargamer55 wrote:
GreenBear wrote:

Who's with me?!

Yup.

I'll never understand the apparent need for people to segregate themselves into different groups that have no interaction.

What's wrong with having all the wargame and euro/amerigame content in one place, here? Draws more visitors to ALL content that way, anyway.

Xander, I have the same philosophy as you - why can't we all just get along... ohh... Dunbar's Number: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunbars_number

I'm not sure this applies here, but I think we've been feeling it over the past years as BGG grows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenBear wrote:
How difficult can it be to set up a WargameGeek.com based on the existing template.

It must not be very easy, RPGgeek has been in the works for awhile it seems...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I love BGG! And I would love a site that is "BGG-like" yet is focused on wargames! (Build it, they will come). I know that you have had a site for sometime, maybe this is your calling to get 'the thing up and running'!

I'll visit your BGG Wargames, AND BGG with equal fervor!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
pete belli wrote:

Quote:
Who's with me?!

I must disagree.

Exactly. Moreover, there's so much crossover: there's a healthy trend to bring elements of euros into wargames, to make euros with wargame elements or that cover military themes; lots of us have wargames and euros in our collections — in fact, I got into Euros through wargames.

(But then, I've always wondered why we don't have RPGs, or why the puzzles got deleted.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree in theory, but I wonder if the growning number of wargamers could sustain a new site. If it were to replace consimworld I would be all for, but if it were to detract from BGG, that would be very sad. I think having a forum dedicated to discussing the variety of wargames would be great, but I think it is very important not segregate the community, so if it was possible to maintain BGG and have another site, it would be great, if not both sites would be poorer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezekiel Henshaw
United States
California
flag msg tools
This whole Thread is B.S.

Like they are actually gonna make a Wargame Geek.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris reichl

Appleton
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think BGG is just fine. At least other games are discussed, even lite-war games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CommanderZeke wrote:

You are right, "They are not ~ going to actually make a Wargame Geek" but Brummbar 44 might...

One man's ceiling is another man's floor. So why walk on his parade?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Roach
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
I don’t think this is a bad thread and I appreciate Mr. Brumbar’s enthusiasm.

Like Brumbar, I don’t really play, nor actually own any “Euros.” However, I like the community here at BGG and I think that to divide it up as such, would take away from it; BGG is sort of a gaming fellowship. It’s also good to expose people who have different interest to other types of games and hopefully, some Euro/family type gamers will take an interest in historical Consims by having folks like us around.

-Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CommanderZeke wrote:

CommanderZeke, you've been on BGG for two days, and you're already throwing dirt? Looking at your profile, you have a game design in the works, and you throw dirt.

Perhaps, you might consider, playing nice. BGG is a pretty friendly place. One of the most friendly in the cyber-universe. Treat it as such, and you'll find Welcome mats rolling out for you.

Treat it otherwise, and well, the place can become fairly rowdy, in a manner that is would not be considered so friendly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think BGG works well as is with the mix of boardgames. That said, I am very much looking forward to RPGgeek (if it ever happens).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.