Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well maybe wasn't actually the weirdest Power Grid game of all time, but I've played 300 times, and I have never seen a game go like this.

Mike, Victor, and I sat down to play on the Central Europe map. The areas we chose were Austria, Czech, and Slovakia. With only one "no nuke" zone, the special nuke rule never had an effect.

Victor took Plant 03, I took Plant 04, Mike took Plant 05. Mike built three cities, Wien, Bratislava, and Trnava. His logic was that this was the cheapest part of the board, and he wanted to save money. In a three player game, losing turn order on the second round isn't a bad idea, because you know no plant higher than 13 can come up. Mike took Prague and I took some city in Slovakia. Second round, Victor took 09, Mike took 10, and I took 08. I chose the 08 because I like to be last in the turn order until I get a good plant. But there were no good plants. 12 and 17 and 19 had already come up. Plant 27 had gone off to Step 3 (where a three city plant is thoroughly useless).

Then the plant market clogged worse than I have ever seen it clog before. Over the next four rounds we each took one plant total. We had three plant phases where one person bought a plant, and one that was completely passed out. After six plant rounds, my friend Mike in California called me on my cell phone. I told him we were into the sixth round and I had 04, 08, and 16 (six cities worth). Worse, I was only going to power three cities that turn. He thought I was losing, but I explained that I wasn't. Victor had 03, 09, and 11 (four cities worth); Mike in Washington had 05, 10, and 12 (five cities worth). I had powered five cities the turn before, but I was powering only three cites that turn because by the time I got to buy fuel, three coal would have cost me €21 to collect only €20. In Central Europe, where you get one more coal per turn than the regular maps, coal was running short in Step 1! With Victor burning three oil and Mike running two hybrids, oil was at €7 also.

Victor bought Plant 14. That's normally crazy this deep into the game, but garbage was the cheapest commodity, plus he had Vienna. I just stood pat waiting for a plant. Victor triggered Step 2, building more cities than he could power, and this time it was a mistake. I just sat back waiting, and eventually I landed Plant 25. Coal was expensive, but powering five cites was worth it. Victor got Plants 21 & 31 and built to 12 cities. Big mistake. He collected a lot of money for two turns, but the Step 3 coal squeeze hit while Victor was leading. Mike and I bought out all the coal and oil, and Victor was screwed. I just stayed at ten cities, forgoing a little cash each turn, but maintaining position. Victor bought two plants to get out of the coal squeeze, but that cost him his cash advantage and more. I built seven cities to end the game.

I like fuel depletion games. The Central Europe map is expensive, so players are usually slower to build cities, and this keeps so much fuel from being burned. Normally I associate such fuel depletion with the cheap maps (Benelux, Northern Italy, and Eastern USA), but it can happen in Central Europe too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
Well maybe wasn't actually the weirdest Power Grid game of all time, but I've played 300 times, and I have never seen a game go like this.

Mike, Victor, and I sat down to play on the Central Europe map. The areas we chose were Austria, Czech, and Slovakia. With only one "no nuke" zone, the special nuke rule never had an effect.

Victor took Plant 03, I took Plant 04, Mike took Plant 05. Mike built three cities, Wien, Bratislava, and Trnava. His logic was that this was the cheapest part of the board, and he wanted to save money. In a three player game, losing turn order on the second round isn't a bad idea, because you know no plant higher than 13 can come up. Mike took Prague and I took some city in Slovakia. Second round, Victor took 09, Mike took 10, and I took 08. I chose the 08 because I like to be last in the turn order until I get a good plant. But there were no good plants. 12 and 17 and 19 had already come up. Plant 27 had gone off to Step 3 (where a three city plant is thoroughly useless).

Then the plant market clogged worse than I have ever seen it clog before. Over the next four rounds we each took one plant total. We had three plant phases where one person bought a plant, and one that was completely passed out. After six plant rounds, my friend Mike in California called me on my cell phone. I told him we were into the sixth round and I had 04, 08, and 16 (six cities worth). Worse, I was only going to power three cities that turn. He thought I was losing, but I explained that I wasn't. Victor had 03, 09, and 11 (four cities worth); Mike in Washington had 05, 10, and 12 (five cities worth). I had powered five cities the turn before, but I was powering only three cites that turn because by the time I got to buy fuel, three coal would have cost me €21 to collect only €20. In Central Europe, where you get one more coal per turn than the regular maps, coal was running short in Step 1! With Victor burning three oil and Mike running two hybrids, oil was at €7 also.

Victor bought Plant 14. That's normally crazy this deep into the game, but garbage was the cheapest commodity, plus he had Vienna. I just stood pat waiting for a plant. Victor triggered Step 2, building more cities than he could power, and this time it was a mistake. I just sat back waiting, and eventually I landed Plant 25. Coal was expensive, but powering five cites was worth it. Victor got Plants 21 & 31 and built to 12 cities. Big mistake. He collected a lot of money for two turns, but the Step 3 coal squeeze hit while Victor was leading. Mike and I bought out all the coal and oil, and Victor was screwed. I just stayed at ten cities, forgoing a little cash each turn, but maintaining position. Victor bought two plants to get out of the coal squeeze, but that cost him his cash advantage and more. I built seven cities to end the game.

I like fuel depletion games. The Central Europe map is expensive, so players are usually slower to build cities, and this keeps so much fuel from being burned. Normally I associate such fuel depletion with the cheap maps (Benelux, Northern Italy, and Eastern USA), but it can happen in Central Europe too.

Awesome report, love those odd games. This was weirder than when I forgot the step 3 card!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Porter
United States
Winder
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:

Awesome report, love those odd games. This was weirder than when I forgot the step 3 card!

That made me lol!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.