Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon "that sci-fi guy"
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the first time that my wife and I have played Fjords together. She's not a gamer but we've recently been playing a few more games and she's been willing to try a few Eurogames (e.g. Carcassonne) and some of the kosmos 2-player games (Jambo, Odin's Ravens, Balloon Cup, Lost Cities) that I've borrowed from friends which is great. I manage to get a hold of a copy of Fjords and we have a go.

I tell her that it involves spatial awareness and planning ahead. I explain the rules to her (having only played it once or twice myself and won each time), and she's doing her best not to roll her eyes; there's a definite lack of enthusiasm there.

Anyway we get going:

1st game: During this game I'm explaining to her why you would put you pieces in certain places and how you need to block your opponent's progress in order to claim more hexes. I get a couple of peninsulas to myself and she claims much of the centre area. So with a fair bit of help from me, it's a close finish (I have 5 left, she 6). It wasn't too bad she admits and agrees to play again.

2nd game: This one is much closer - she is catching on and can see further ahead, knowing how the two phases of the game work. I do myself no favours in forgetting to put out my forth farm. We end in a tie (5 pieces left each). I can almost see the flicker in her eye as she agrees to a deciding game but had no idea what was coming next.

3rd game: (We don't usually get this far - 3 games! so this is a good sign)
I'm eager to get out my four huts this time so I start early and put one out with my second hex. I'm not really sure what happened but before I new it she had her four huts out, all on their way to claiming substantial peninsulas, whilst my three (yes despite my early start my fourth one was hastily placed last minute in an unhelpful position) weren't going to claim much for me at all. In the second phase it becomes clear that she had been listening well in the first two games because she effectively blocked of any progress I might have made in claiming fields (I’ve never seen her so ruthless). In the end each of my farms claimed a couple of fields close by and that was it. Those peninsulas of hers were all the difference, and she used all her pieces whilst I had 11 left!!

All she could say after that display of astute tactical prowess was "I just try to spread them (the farms) out".

So there you have it - my wife's new-found spatial awareness. All I can say is next time we're driving somewhere and she's got the map and navigating I'll have much higher expectations, cause I'm on to her - she's been hiding this skill VERY adeptly for many years!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom franklin
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you're quite the lucky man. i finally got my wife to agree to play fjords with me last weekend and, after beating me pretty soundly in two straight games, she announced she didn't like the game.

turns out she didn't like the puzzle/board-building aspect of the game, the lack of aggressive play ("it would have been better if i could have fire-bombed some of your land") nor all of the 'action' taking place in the last minute or two of the game.

drats. cry

tiggers wrote:
... it's a close finish (I have 5 left, she 6).

i'll caution you to do an initial count of the number of pieces each color has. my numbers were uneven in the first game i bought!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon "that sci-fi guy"
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the game but it's not for everyone. I'm sure there are plenty of other games your wife will enjoy playing.

As for the pieces, it's not my game so it didn't occur to me that there may not be the correct number there. If there is the wrong number there I suppose it's possible that I also lost the very first game she played!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott McGill
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good one Simon!

It's great to hear about her getting involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon,

Great to here that Fjords went down well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fergus Hadley
United Kingdom
leeds
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fivecats wrote:
"it would have been better if i could have fire-bombed some of your land"

What's the point of playing a game featuring fjords without also including vikings to pillage the other player's lands...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom franklin
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
voidstate wrote:
fivecats wrote:
"it would have been better if i could have fire-bombed some of your land"

What's the point of playing a game featuring fjords without also including vikings to pillage the other player's lands...

I've actually developed two additional tiles for Fjords: The Dragon and The Marauding Hoard. Both do exactly that.

(I've play tested them with a friend well over 40 times and we both agree that with an expanded set of Fjords tiles, these two greatly improve the game for us. I'll write the tiles up and post them to BGG... eventually)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fergus Hadley
United Kingdom
leeds
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fivecats wrote:
(I've play tested them with a friend well over 40 times and we both agree that with an expanded set of Fjords tiles, these two greatly improve the game for us. I'll write the tiles up and post them to BGG... eventually)

Tha t sounds awesome. Post them, post them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.