♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
I have a Johnny Cash song, "The Man Comes Around," stuck in my head. It's a good song, so I'm not complaining. I do, however, have a question about one of the lines in the song:

Quote:
The virgins are all trimming their wicks.

I don't deny that I have a dirty mind, so I'm not going to share the first thing that comes to mind when I hear this, but given that the song is overtly religious in nature, it makes me feel a little icky to think that in context to the overall song. Since it IS an overtly religious song, and since it begins and ends with Cash reciting Bible scripture, I figure this is in reference to something I never learned in Sunday school.

So, can someone enlighten me? What's the source and/or meaning of that line?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortunately for you I know the Internet, and this is explained all over the God damned place. Try Matthew 25, and the story of the 10 virgins. Or don't, I never read it, and it didn't make that song either better or worse for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Hinkle
United States
Twinsburg
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't believe in the existence of Johnny Cash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Yes, I thought of Google, but both Gary and Deborah Heidenreich called a "No Work Friday," and I'm trying to contribute to the trickle of discussion in Chit Chat today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Crawford
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a reference to preparing for the coming of a bridegroom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, now we can chat about the efficacy of trying to turn a bunch of board game geeks into a replacement for Google. There's enough to chat about merely by pointing out the possible double entendre regarding wick trimming. Perhaps now we can have the real discussion you clearly were after--who here supports clitorectomy on religious grounds?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
How about we chat about the fact that ChipChuck finally lost that NEWUSER badge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
Great, now we can chat about the efficacy of trying to turn a bunch of board game geeks into a replacement for Google. There's enough to chat about merely by pointing out the possible double entendre regarding wick trimming. Perhaps now we can have the real discussion you clearly were after--who here supports clitorectomy on religious grounds?

Hey, I had a cliterectomy set when I was a kid. I played with it far more than Lego.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
mb
Blott wrote:
How about we chat about the fact that ChipChuck finally lost that NEWUSER badge

Since I don't have delete privileges for the thread, that's probably for the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Debora Heidenreich
United States
Unspecified
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Funny, I am almost done reading his autobiography, interesting stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Quote:
For those of you who know the Bible

I know it, but only in the biblical sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:
MisterCranky wrote:

Hey, I had a cliterectomy set when I was a kid. I played with it far more than Lego.

The kit or the...never mind. I don't want to know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave wrote:
Quote:

Remind me to never, ever, borrow your Bible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anye Freer
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I went and read the parable out of curiosity, and then read the commentary, but I have to say... it makes no sense.

Why on earth do you need a lamp so badly just to do the horizontal tango? Methinks the shy young virgins are better off in the dark lest they be scared by Bulging Bridegroom Manhood.

I would think all they need to be ready is a bed and some lube... (with 10 girls to service, the bridegroom probably doesn't have time to make it good for them...)

(Sorry, either Jesus was having an off day when he told that one or the translators were on crack...some of the other parables are a lot better.)

No offense intended to those for who consider the parable holy scripture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
mb
dietevil wrote:
Why on earth do you need a lamp so badly just to do the horizontal tango?

I would think all they need to be ready is a bed and some lube.

Maybe that's why the oil is so important in the parable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mr.Baggins wrote:
Dave wrote:
Quote:

Remind me to never, ever, borrow your Bible.

Like I would ever lend it to you, or anyone else for that matter! We've got a good thing going. Sure, it likes to pretend that I'm Brad Pitt when we get to Song of Solomon, and sometimes I think about Women In Love during Exodus, but you need a little of that to keep things healthy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anye Freer
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruprecht wrote:
dietevil wrote:

(Sorry, either Jesus was having an off day when he told that one or the translators were on crack...some of the other parables are a lot better.)

Seems pretty obvious this is a reference to an ancient Jewish custom. So whether or not the English translators were on crack, the initial audience understood it very well.

I don't think having 10 wives is an ancient Jewish custom...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anye Freer
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruprecht wrote:
dietevil wrote:
Ruprecht wrote:
dietevil wrote:

Seems pretty obvious this is a reference to an ancient Jewish custom. So whether or not the English translators were on crack, the initial audience understood it very well.

Maybe you're interpreting that part incorrectly. It was written a helluva long time ago.

Hence back to translators being on crack... the story I read doesn't say there are 10 different bridegrooms, it refers to just one.

Jewish polygamy in Jesus' time would have been primarily limited to marrying your brother's wife after he died, not buying 10-for-1 at the community bake sale
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
dietevil wrote:
Ruprecht wrote:
dietevil wrote:
Ruprecht wrote:
dietevil wrote:

Maybe you're interpreting that part incorrectly. It was written a helluva long time ago.

Hence back to translators being on crack... the story I read doesn't say there are 10 different bridegrooms, it refers to just one.

Jewish polygamy in Jesus' time would have been primarily limited to marrying your brother's wife after he died, not buying 10-for-1 at the community bake sale

The virgins in the parable aren't those to be wedded to the bridegroom, but rather they are probably more akin to today's "bridesmaids", or something similar. They were just attenders to the wedding, not participants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
So, the scriptural significance is pretty stark: keep your ducks in a row, 'cos the world might end tomorrow and you don't wanna get caught with your pants down (a horrid mixed metaphor, I know, but I like the picture it paints). But what's the meaning of the signifier?

Looking up this stuff doesn't return a lot of real historical context, as to whether there was a tradition of keeping lamps on wedding nights or such. I'm inclined to think it's meant to represent general gender roles. Even on their wedding night, it's the job of women to maintain the home and make it comfortable and ready for their husband, who gets to stay out late drinking.

Interesting that the parable addresses plural marriage. Not a lot of that in the NT. This might be the only mention of it by Jesus himself... The parable definitely tells that the virgins were brides: "...they that were ready went in with him to the marriage..." The idea that it's about bridesmaids is a later bit of apologia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I admit I'm not an expert on those customs, so you may be right. It doesn't seem to fit with what I *DO* know about the custom of the time, though.

This page discusses it a little. http://gardenofpraise.com/bibl53s.htm

Not being an expert, I can't speak for the "accuracy" of it though. Maybe "bridesmaid" isn't really the right term, but "friend of the bride" may be more appropriate.

Otherwise, the parable makes a little less sense in that the bridegroom says he doesn't know them; either he's just a jerk, or they weren't people he knew.

Plus, to my limited knowledge of Jewish custom of the time, if they were brides-to-be, they probably wouldn't have been in one gathering, but would probably have been accompanied by family. (Though I could be very wrong).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny... when I was a kid, the parable made sense. "Be prepared", in a nutshell.

Now, you've made me read it again. And all I can think of is that the moral seems to be "don't share and look out for number one". Not very christian.

Plus, in the context of the parable, the groom does seem to be kind of a jerk. No, scratch that, a real jerk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Mr.Baggins wrote:
Plus, in the context of the parable, the groom does seem to be kind of a jerk. No, scratch that, a real jerk.
That seems to sum up a lot of the bible, actually. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain Coconut wrote:
Mr.Baggins wrote:
That seems to sum up a lot of the bible, actually. devil

I would guess, though, that in the full cultural context, it probably is less that way than it might otherwise seem.

IE, if the oil isn't enough to share, sharing would just leave both parties out to dry, but would equate the message of "you can't share personal salvation".

Without context, though, it does seem pretty wonky.

Should this thread get moved? Not that it's a bad thread, but it's starting to delve into the non-Chit-Chat realm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.