B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just noticed the 'number of players' poll (which is a great addition, and I suspect it's on all the games?) and found it interesting that 2 and 4 player games are 'highly recommended' but 3 player games are 'not so much'.

Is this a skew against sample size (meaning people just haven't played that much 3 player), or the feeling that 4 really is better than 3 when you have more than 2.

I also kind of wonder what will happen when RftG:GS comes out, and if that will skew the numbers further.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Cheung
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, note that the results are 2 and 4 players are both rated as "best" and 3 players is recommended. None of the player values are not recommended (other than 1 and more than 4) So it's not so much that players don't like 3 player, but that their favorite number of players is 2 or 4. 2 player vs 3/4 I can see pretty easily, since 2 player advanced has quite a different feel with the double action card choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect what we're seeing here is that there is a group that rate it best with 2 and recommended with 3 or 4, and a group that rate it best with 4 and recommended with 3 or 2. Thus 2 and 4 graduate to Best status while 3 is the perennial bridesmaid.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheamus Parkes
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or there are other people like me who voted 2&4 best with 3 only okay. It's really quite simple:

I like 4 roles chosen per turn. In the 2&4 player version, you choose 4 roles. 3 roles per turn in 3 player seems slow.

Thats my opinion of course
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played it twice with three, so I've a very small sample.

But I thought that the game was at its most challenging with three. You can't as easily predict what roles are coming out as you can with four, and it's not the sprint to the finish that you havewith two either. Instead - perhaps because it's slower - each decision felt even more important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This gets me to wondering...

What is the average/mean/median number of TURNS PLAYED based on number of players, and does that correlate to an average/mean/median number of PHASES PLAYED.

In 3 player, you get a max of 3 phases per turn... so presumably, fewer total phases played, unless there are more phases due to increased jockeying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryszard Chojnowski
Poland
Brzeg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recently started noting all the statistical data when we play RftG, so here's some info.

We mostly play with three players and the game flows very fast. Usually it takes 12-13 turns at the most, so it is on par with 4-player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
byronczimmer wrote:
I just noticed the 'number of players' poll (which is a great addition, and I suspect it's on all the games?) and found it interesting that 2 and 4 player games are 'highly recommended' but 3 player games are 'not so much'.

Is this a skew against sample size (meaning people just haven't played that much 3 player), or the feeling that 4 really is better than 3 when you have more than 2.

As others have noted, I think it's a group that prefers the game with two crossed with a group that prefers the game with four.

FWIW, I'm equally happy playing with 2, 3, or 4...

Quote:
I also kind of wonder what will happen when RftG:GS comes out, and if that will skew the numbers further.

...or 5. (I find that with 6, it becomes more difficult to track what's going on; still enjoyable, but I like the game a bit less that way.)

(I haven't played the game solo, but am of the general opinion that solo gaming isn't interesting.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there's a natural divide between people who prefer 2-player games (so they are going to rate the game high with 2) and players who prefer games with lots of players (who are going to rate the game high with 4, and many of them would probably even rather play with 5). Even if the game worked equally well with 2, 3, or 4 players, I would expect to see the least enthusiasm for the 3-player game. I bet this is a tendency that you can see across all games rated on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Surya Van Lierde is pure Eurosnoot and proud of it!
Belgium
Michelbeke
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play it most with 3, I like it a lot with 2 and 4 too, and don't really have a preference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Korneliussen
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
Octavian wrote:
I suspect what we're seeing here is that there is a group that rate it best with 2 and recommended with 3 or 4, and a group that rate it best with 4 and recommended with 3 or 2. Thus 2 and 4 graduate to Best status while 3 is the perennial bridesmaid.

Why, I believe you are right. Perhaps you should have used Condorcet voting here as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

It shouldn't change, as the expansion will have its own entry.
The base game is still only playable with 2-4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll play with any number, but I think there is more game there with 3 players, then 4 and least with 2p. Being able to play 2 roles per turn is TOO strong, in my opinion, and makes the VP engines too easy to do. Its more interesting if you have to deduce/guess what someone else will do and try to benefit. When you can choose everything you need, its less challenging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Bowling
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
Was it for this my life I sought? Maybe so, Maybe not.
mbmbmbmbmb
It is funny, cause I put it best with 3 and recommend with 2 & 4. There are two many roles chosen with 2 & 4 and I believe this makes it more like multi-player solitaire. With only 3 roles being chosen, I really have tough decisions and what I think other people are going to do and what I need to do myself. To me the subtle player interaction with this game is great and it is really highlighted in the 3 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.