Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a simple but engaging euro-style game that plays well with three. I have Settlers, and think it's great with four but not-so-much with three, and I'm in search of a game to fill that void. I know TTR plays with 2-5, but is this one of those games that only shines when 4 or 5 are playing?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's good with any number of players, but in different ways. A 2-player game can become more of a chess match, while a 5-player game is pretty chaotic. We usually play with 3 actually, since that's how many we have, and it's a lot of fun. Although we play Settlers a lot with 3 also and think that's great, so take that for what you will. If you'll be playing a LOT with 2 or 3, I'd recommend eventually getting the Switzerland expansion, as that's designed for only 2-3. Once you have both you could pull out the base game if you have 4 or 5 and Switzerland if you have 2 or 3, while still sometimes playing the base game with 2 or 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a thread around here about someone making a more challenging TtR game by taking out most of the western tickets - that would be an option if you don't find a normal 3 person game cutthroat enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I think it's good with any number of players, but in different ways. A 2-player game can become more of a chess match, while a 5-player game is pretty chaotic. We usually play with 3 actually, since that's how many we have, and it's a lot of fun. Although we play Settlers a lot with 3 also and think that's great, so take that for what you will.

Okay, thanks for the information. I've only played Settlers with 3 a few times, so perhaps I ought to give it more chances. I still found it good, but it just didn't seem as interesting and competitive as it is with four.

I've never played TTR, but am aware of its good reputation. I'm 90% sure it'll be my next purchase.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
There was a thread around here about someone making a more challenging TtR game by taking out most of the western tickets - that would be an option if you don't find a normal 3 person game cutthroat enough.

I'll have to check that out when I get the game. My main concern was whether TTR needs more players to be a great game, or if it's equally good with any number. Most games change when you add or take away players, but it seems that some need a certain number for optimal fun. I feel that way about Settlers, but am apparently in the minority with regards to that (judging by several replies I've had here on the Geek.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
The very clever rules about double routes between cities (the players can only claim one of them in a 2-3 player game, but can use both in 4-5 player games) means that this plays equally well with all numbers of players. 3 is tighter than 2 and 5 is tighter than 4, but many prefer a less competitive game. Still, I bet there's plenty who would say their favorite number for TtR is 3. I agree with puck71 that the Switzerland expansion is great with 2 or 3, but it's also a more competitive and meaner game. You'll need the base set anyway, so it's probably best to start with TtR and then add Switzerland if you want something better suited for gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it best with 3 or 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
I like it best with 3 or 5.

I like it best with 3. Too much random inadvertent blocking with 5. With 3, it tends to be much more deliberate. It's a very tight game, and generally very cutthroat.

I also think 2 is the second best number, as even with more room on the board, the players can go directly after each other. As cutthroat as with 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thies Kolln
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Settlers better with 4 than 3, I think you'll prefer TtR with 3. I also vastly prefer Settlers with 4 rather than 3. With 4 it is tight and competitive, but with 3 it just feels as if there is too much open space. Because of the double routes which can't be used with 2 or 3 players, TtR has more competition for space with 3 than with 2. With 4 the ability to use the double routes eases up the tightness of the board, which increases again with a 5th player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like TtR enough that it would work with any number of players. I appreciate the variety in having a more calculating game with 2-3p and more chaotic games with 4-5p. Actually, since my first game of TtR was with the 1910 expansion (Ticket to Ride: USA 1910), I prefer all of my TtR games with that expansion for the large print cards, the destination tickets that are more detailed, the 15pt Globetrotter bonus, and more emphasis on destination tickets towards winning. Again, keep in mind that for 2-3p, the double, side-by-side routes are only open to be claimed once while in a 4-5p game, up to 2 different players may claim that "same" route. Certainly changes ones planning and tactics.

As for Settlers Of Catan, I also enjoy that with any # of players. Since the board size is the same for both a 3p and 4p game, In a 3p game, things are less crowded making for an easier time for you to expand, but then your opponents also have that advantage. In a 4p game, you can fare better if you're better about getting more successful trades, which works for you since you now have one extra trading partner
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
For two or three, I concur that for 2-3 players that Switzerland is best, but then you have to buy a base game (either TTR or TTR:E) too. Some would disagree with me, who like a less cut-throat game and less ticket drawing. I think the 'Big Cities' variant from the 1910 expansion is the best way to play 2-3 players on the US map.

No worries - everyone should own TTR. Buy the base game of your choice, try it out, look to TTR:1910 or Switzerland if you want something a little different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What a cascade of useful replies. Thanks to all.

After reading all these ringing endorsements of 3-player TtR, I've definitely made up my mind to give it a try. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be disappointed, as I'll be getting it specifically for 3 (although by all accounts it's excellent with any number.)

thanks again everybody!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TtR is pretty tight with 3, since double routes cannot be used. It's more tight with 3 than with 2 or 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott McGill
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best with 3 or 5, though I like it with any number...

Best with 3 or 5 because of the tightness of the board in those games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Storm
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most skill = 2 player then 4 player then 3 player then 5 player.

Most fun = Either 2 Player if you consider skill=fun, or 5 Player if you consdier chaos=fun.

I prefer 2 or 4, but 3 Player is fine.

Don't listen to people that say Swiss map is best with 2-3 because it was designed for just 2-3 players. Swiss plays "different" than the original USA TtR, and is no way "better" than the original. In fact Swiss is good 2 player but isn't that balanced for 3 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonas havreglid
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I definately think that 4 or 5 players is the way to go with Ticket to Ride. By making the double routes single ones the game's balance gets strange.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chumchu2 wrote:
I definately think that 4 or 5 players is the way to go with Ticket to Ride. By making the double routes single ones the game's balance gets strange.

Um. Very wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mills
United States
Avon
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve,
TTR is a great game with three players. I think it may actually be best with three, though it scales very well from 2-5. I have played it with 2, 3, 4, and 5 players and enjoyed it every time. Hope the info helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.