Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got a $25 gift card for Barnes & Noble, and I know they sell games, but I don't know what to get. For one thing, the games are much more expensive there compared to other game sources. I don't mind spending extra (over the $25) for a game, but I have no idea what to get. I started browsing their online store, but there are a lot of crappy games to sift through.

And are there any promo codes out there that I could use to save a little more?

Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
World Cup time!!!! All work in the morning will include the tv being on Fox or Telemundo. :)
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Bohnanza they have it for $20 online and with your gift card it should cover cost and shipping. It is almost half as much at most online retailers, but still it would be free for you. I had a B&N giftcard and had nothing but trouble, so I wish you the best. The game is at http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.asp?WRD=bohan....
I hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Inks
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina (NC)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David Gemmel, great writer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
I used my last one on a book by David Hume and the most recent issue of Dissent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Benjamin
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've purchase Ingenious at B&N; can't go wrong with this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob D
United States
Largo
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see you don't have Carcassonne: The Tower. It's not the best of the expansions it seems...but it's the only one available through B&N online. I'm not sure why that's the only expansion they carry, but it is what it is. So if you've got a gift card burning a hole in your pocket and you like Carc a lot, why not pick up this expansion?

They also have a few of the Catan expansions, although you'll have to shell out a bit more to get those. I'm not sure if it would be worth it with shipping. I think they have Cities & Knights and Seafarers, plus the 5-6 player expansions.

I see you have the Ingenious travel edition. If you really like the game and see yourself wanting to play it with more than 2 than this might be your chance to snap up the regular version.

Other than that the pickings look real slim. If you can hold onto the card you might do better to hold onto it until November. They seem to beef up their game selection around Christmas every year both online and in the store.

Either way, you're much more likely to find something worthwhile to get online than you are in the store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The T-shirt game is a good party game choice. Arcadia and Pillars of the Earth are regularly at my B&N. Also Amazing Labyrinth is a good adult/kid choice.

Or you could buy Hobby Games: The 100 Best it's an excellent book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
put it in the math trade and put thirty dollar games on your want list
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M King
United States
Wilder
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fullerbd wrote:

Or you could buy Hobby Games: The 100 Best it's an excellent book.

I second this suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom franklin
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
my wife and i were just at our local B&N tonight. while there we found "The Book of Games: Strategy, Tactics and History" by Jack Botermans. it's a good look at games throughout history, with boards, rules and strategy for each game.

it lists for $29.95 but has a 20% off sticker on it. (with an extra 10% if you're a B&N member)

(we bought it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
I put B&N gift cards into two math trades this year. You could talk to the recipients and see what they got with them.

Alternatively you could put the gift card into a math trade, like I did. ;-)

However, I can't let you walk away without shilling an actual book: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Space-Childs-Mother-Goose/F...

(I have no connection with this book other than having been corrupted by it as a child.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
May I pass along my congratulations for your great interdimensional breakthrough. I am sure, in the miserable annals of the Earth, you will be duly enshrined. -- Lord John Whorfin
mbmbmbmbmb
I thrifted a game a few weeks ago that had a bonus of a B&N gift card with nearly $25 left on it. I used a 25% off web coupon and picked up a copy of Ingenious.

The coupons seem to turn up with some frequency - keep an eye out for them and stretch your gift card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.