Subject: Looking for a certain type of board game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cactus god
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone,

I'm relatively new to the board game scene. My friends and I started last December thanks to a whim I had one day to pick up Shadows over Camelot, Last Night on Earth, Settlers of Catan, and Arkham Horror. I've noticed that my family and friends enjoy playing a game like Camelot because of the traitor aspect, you are always sort of suspecting one another and that fear looming over everybody makes it fun.

I've been looking around, and I haven't really seen any games of that sort. I actually just picked up Fury of Dracula because of the interesting hiding and deduction aspect of the game. I feel this mechanic is somewhat similar and may indeed capture their attention.

So, basically, my question is: What kind of games are out there that cast the same sort of ambience over the party you're playing with? (Just so you guys know, I generally have 5 or 6 people around at any given time who are interested in jumping in, so games that allow large numbers of people are preferred)

I really appreciate any ideas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom O'K
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Never fear; I is here.
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to try Saboteur. It's a light, fun card game that accommodates many players, and some players are secretly sabotaging the others (like the traitor in Shadows over Camelot).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
"Werewolf" is probably the game you're looking for. Though many would say that even 6 or 7 people isn't a large enough group.

You might also like "Bang!". Maybe "Intrige" or "Conspiracy".

"Betrayal at House on the Hill" just might be up your alley, though the identity of the betrayer is public knowledge, so you don't have that sort of "Who's the traitor" suspense...

As a two-player game, "Mr. Jack" could be ideal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mac
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also E.T.I.: Estimated Time to Invasion in which all people are working together the entire game to stop an alien invasion. The fun part, as you've guessed, is that one of them is actually the alien player incognito.

And Fury of Dracula is a great game, but don't believe anyone who tells you it plays in 2 hours! I don't know where I read that, but it's not always true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I somewhat get what you are looking for... and these may have some of that "tense" feel to them although they go about achieving that in different ways of course:

2 player "tension games":

Mr. Jack
Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation

Co-operative "angst" games:

Descent: Journeys in the Dark
Fury of Dracula
Lord of the Rings
Pandemic
Saboteur

A backstabbing "can I trust my enemy this time around" game:

Game of Thrones, A

Fun and highly thematic games:

Galaxy Trucker
Bang!
Fearsome Floors
Ca$h 'n Gun$
Werewolf or Werewolves of Miller's Hollow

Hopefully that's helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Diplomacy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.