Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Shaw
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group has played Blackbeard a couple of times last week. For our 3rd game last night, I have incorporated the following house rules and we have found it quite fun. We really had to agonizing over fight or flee decisions a few times in the last game. This is our personal preference, feedbacks appreciated as usual.
(Sidenote: I have not played the old AH Blackbeard)

The rule is expanded based on BROG and Neil's recent remarks.

Warship and KC Encounter Expanded

1. Warships may intercept Pirates when the Pirate action is
* Find, Loot or Converting a Merchant Ship

KC may intercept Pirate when the Pirate action is
* Move
* Attack Port

2. The AP Action by the non-pirate player immediately stops whatever action it is the pirate is undertaking. Whether or not that Pirate action may continue depends on what happens to the Warship/KC vs. Pirate encounter.

3. Sequence of actions for encounters

.. a) Pirate player announces fight or flee

.. b) Warship/KC announces pursuit or hold
.... i. If Pirate flees and Warship/KC holds, encounter is over, Pirate forfeits action.
.... ii. If Pirate flees and is successful (per interception check), encounter is over, Pirate forfeits action.

.. Priate may surrender to KC using Letter of Marque now.

.. c) Involuntary Combat: when Pirate player fails to flee
.... i. For Warship, AP player may play an Event card with a numerical Action point (not Diamond) and add to the Warship's combat rating (counted for Pirate's NP gain).
.... ii. combat check
.... iii. If Pirate wins, Pirate suffers 1 dmg, +1 VP to AP player, Pirate continues with action, the Warship/KC is eliminated per rule.
.... iv. If Pirate loses,
.......... Warship: Pirate suffers x dmg (die difference), +x VP to AP player, Pirate forfeits action.
.......... KC: Pirate is eliminated, compute VP gains for Pirate and AP player.

.. d) Voluntary Combat: when Pirate player announcing fight (this is a double combat)
.... i. For Warship, AP player may play an Event card with a numerical Action point (not Diamond) and add to the Warship's combat rating (counted for Pirate's NP gain).
.... ii. Combat check
.... iii. If Pirate wins, Pirate suffers 1 dmg, +1 VP to AP player. If Pirate loses, Pirate suffers x dmg (die difference), +x VP to AP player. Pirate forfeits action, encounter ends.
.... iv. Combat check
.... v. If Pirate wins, Pirate suffers 1 dmg and gain NP, +1 VP to AP player, Pirate continues with action, Warship/KC is eliminated per rule.
.... vi. If Pirate loses,
.......... Warship: Pirate suffers x dmg (difference of roll), +x VP to AP player, Pirate forfeits action.

Sorry about the formatting. I'm still learning the posting rope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jshtnt wrote:
Our group has played Blackbeard a couple of times last week. For our 3rd game last night, I have incorporated the following house rules and we have found it quite fun. We really had to agonizing over fight or flee decisions a few times in the last game. This is our personal preference, feedbacks appreciated as usual.
(Sidenote: I have not played the old AH Blackbeard)

The rule is expanded based on BORG and Neil's recent remarks.

Warship and KC Encounter Expanded

1. Warships may intercept Pirates when the Pirate action is

KC may intercept Pirate when the Pirate action is
* Move
* Attack Port

2. The AP Action by the non-pirate player immediately stops whatever action it is the pirate is undertaking. Whether or not that Pirate action may continue depends on what happens to the Warship/KC vs. Pirate encounter.

3. Sequence of actions for encounters

.. a) Pirate player announces fight or flee

.. b) Warship/KC announces pursuit or hold
.... i. If Pirate flees and Warship/KC holds, encounter is over, Pirate forfeits action.
.... ii. If Pirate flees and is successful (per interception check), encounter is over, Pirate forfeits action.

.. Priate may surrender to KC using Letter of Marque now.

.. c) Involuntary Combat: when Pirate player fails to flee
.... ii. combat check
.... iii. If Pirate wins, Pirate suffers 1 dmg, +1 VP to AP player, Pirate continues with action.
.... iv. If Pirate loses,
.......... Warship: Pirate suffers x dmg (die difference), +x VP to AP player, Pirate forfeits action.

.. d) Voluntary Combat: when Pirate player announcing fight
.... ii. Combat check
.... iii. If Pirate wins, Pirate suffers 1 dmg, +1 VP to AP player. If Pirate loses,
.......... Warship: Pirate suffers x dmg (die difference), +x VP to AP player.
.... iv. Combat check
.... v. If Pirate wins, Pirate suffers 1 dmg, +1 VP to AP player, Pirate continues with action.
.... vi. If Pirate loses,
.......... Warship: Pirate suffers x dmg (difference of roll), +x VP to AP player, Pirate forfeits action.

Sorry about the formatting. I'm still learning the posting rope.

Some notes:
1. Warships may intercept Attack Port actions.

2. It is your 3.b.2 that is one of the current points of controversy.

3. The idea of the KC or Warship holding is interested, but may simple not be historical. "We won't be doing our job today. It looks like he has Heavy Guns."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Shaw
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedbacks.

Quote:
1. Warships may intercept Attack Port actions.

I missed that one, good call.

Quote:
2. It is your 3.b.2 that is one of the current points of controversy.

Yes I understand BORG is still contemplating on this unofficial "official" update.

Quote:
3. The idea of the KC or Warship holding is interested, but may simple not be historical. "We won't be doing our job today. It looks like he has Heavy Guns."

We primarily made the variant to make Warship/KC interesting in the game while preserving BROG's design in spirit. Although not generally the case, historically, warship captains sometimes prefer guard action over pursuit when the odds are against them (e.g. waiting for reinforcement, or avoid straying too far from merchant ships and fall into a decoy trap).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way. It is "BROG" not "BORG". You will not be assimilated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Shaw
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hahaha ... laugh that explains my sense of trepidation earlier. Edited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Englehart
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So do I understand correctly: In your variant the Pirate does not receive notoriety for defeating a Warship or KC?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Shaw
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes the Pirate does. I'll edit it in.

There are essentially two changes to the rules:

1) Pirate announcing fight or flee, then Warship/KC announcing pursuit or hold.

2) In voluntary combat (i.e. Pirate decides to fight), the combat is two rounds and the Pirate must win both. Although the KC does not eliminate the Pirate if the Pirate loses in 1st round.

What our group experienced in our last game (2nd time with this variant) is that "Warship then KC" combo is now a fairly effective strategy against strong Pirates. So we tend to retire our strong Pirates if possible and sloop had advantage in fleeing KCs in Warship+KC combo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Randall
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Interesting house rules - thanks for posting them.

Richard and I will be talking this week about what we hope is "the final solution" to this and a few other things. I'll probably be posting the results within a week, asking for comments from everyone interested. We want to make one set of official fixes, then get the Living Rules together, and then let the game be played with everything in place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Englehart
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just so I'm sure I understand:

A) The Pirate can choose to run. If so the AP can choose to have the Warship pursue.

If the Pirate fails to escape, a round of combat ensues.

If the Pirate wins, he takes 1 hit, no Notoriety, and is allowed to complete his action. The Warship stays On Station and the AP Player gets 1 VP.

B) The Pirate can choose to stand and fight. If so, he will have to fight two rounds of combat.

If he wins the first round, he takes 1 hit and the AP takes 1 VP.
If he wins the second round, the Warship is removed from play and the Pirate takes the Notoriety and is allowed to complete his action. The Pirate still takes 1 hit and the AP gets 1 VP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Shaw
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
A) The Pirate can choose to run. If so the AP can choose to have the Warship pursue.

If the Pirate fails to escape, a round of combat ensues.

If the Pirate wins, he takes 1 hit, no Notoriety, and is allowed to complete his action. The Warship stays On Station and the AP Player gets 1 VP.

If the Pirate wins in an involuntary combat, the Warship/KC is eliminated as usual. I'll edit it in for clarification. thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.