Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have tought of a variant where the Anti-air module works differently.

Rule Problems with AA module

- The module is just too much powerful. It is so powerful that there is absolutely no good reason for not to getting it.

- Having Anti-Space capabilities, it creates the patched bug where 2 players cannot each place a base on a 2 territory planet because it will prevent a third player from simply landing if both player as Anti-air.

Theme problems with AA module

- There is a huge difference between Anti-Air and Anti-Space. Even if your ennemy use transports, when invading, he would normally land a few kilometer from your base and then attack. He will never directly land in your base. So why would his AA module destroy your transports.

- The fact that the AA module only gives bonus against air unit is stupid because you actually need a unit that can attack air units to use the bonus. What kind of air defense is that, an defense system that only works if something else can shoot the ennemy.

Solution

If a player's base with an anti-air module gets attacked by air units it automatically destroy at the beginning or at the end of the battle round 1 unit of the defender or attacker's choice.

With this solution, it allows you do defend your base from air units even if you don't have anti-air units.

It also makes a module powerful enought for 3 crystal but which is not absolutely essential. A ennemy player could for example not have enought air units to be a threat or you could have already enought anti-air units.

What do you think?

By the way, does the AA module gives detector inthe original video game? Because that could be anothing to remove.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:

- The module is just too much powerful. It is so powerful that there is absolutely no good reason for not to getting it.

- Having Anti-Space capabilities, it creates the patched bug where 2 players cannot each place a base on a 2 territory planet because it will prevent a third player from simply landing if both player as Anti-air.

This is only an issue in team games, and only if 2 players of the same team are trying to do this. In non-team games, you can have every area with bases that have Anti-Air Modules; people from other factions couldn't come on, but the two that are there could still battle each other.

Quote:
By the way, does the AA module gives detector inthe original video game? Because that could be anothing to remove.

Yes, Missile Launchers, Photon Cannons, and Spore Colonies all give Detector, if I'm not mistaken.

Personally, while AA modules are powerful, I don't think they need to be nerfed; they don't make things invincible, just more well protected. With good strategical decisions and tactical maneuvering, you can take a base with the AA modules; I don't think players who fail to do so should be given better chances simply for failing to plan.

Just my opinion of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Ziegler
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
larienna wrote:

Theme problems with AA module

- There is a huge difference between Anti-Air and Anti-Space. Even if your ennemy use transports, when invading, he would normally land a few kilometer from your base and then attack. He will never directly land in your base. So why would his AA module destroy your transports.

- The fact that the AA module only gives bonus against air unit is stupid because you actually need a unit that can attack air units to use the bonus. What kind of air defense is that, an defense system that only works if something else can shoot the ennemy.

Solution

If a player's base with an anti-air module gets attacked by air units it automatically destroy at the beginning or at the end of the battle round 1 unit of the defender or attacker's choice.

With this solution, it allows you do defend your base from air units even if you don't have anti-air units.

It also makes a module powerful enought for 3 crystal but which is not absolutely essential. A ennemy player could for example not have enought air units to be a threat or you could have already enought anti-air units.

What do you think?

well, it's not that powerful, i mean, you just have to use both of your mobilize orders to attack. theme wise, you have like hundreds of bases and thay take up all of that planet, so you opponent can't drop cause they will get shot, sure some will survive, but not enough to pose a threat (game wise not enough for a figure). and yes, all of them did have detector. automaticly destroying isn't good theme or game wise, cause gamewise, to powerful, themewise, ground troops can kill the turrets for them, and some air troops had better range than turrets. so i would keep it as it is, but do whatever makes you happy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found another rule variant for the AA module that looks even better.

A-Detector: Unchanged

B-Anti-Air defense: Flying splash damage at the end of the round.

C-Limited space defense: When your base is attacked from space, after the attacking player has drawn his 3 cards, he must discard 4 cards randomly from his hand. (or maybe 5 cards)

So attacking a base directly is not restricted but it can be pretty dangerous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Ziegler
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
larienna wrote:

C-Limited space defense: When your base is attacked from space, after the attacking player has drawn his 3 cards, he must discard 4 cards randomly from his hand. (or maybe 5 cards)

A-yes, keep detector, i don't want to get sniped by opposing ghhost's:)

B-yeah, i actually like the flying splash idea.

C-....i really can't say for sure on this, it seems OP, but can you test it for me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacho Facello
Uruguay
Montevideo
Montevideo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I find there is a good reason not to get it: it's expensive. It's 3 minerals, which is almost all of your permanent minerals, and means you can't make more units. And base modules are all nice and pretty, but they can't attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyways, I have almost scraped all these ideas and made my own variant called Starcraft lite. I released it on BGG but I think I would still do a lot of changes to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrizio Senesi
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:

A: Ok.

B: Very Good...it's very interesting !!! I like it

C: Look the exp. Brood War

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

In my starcraft lite variant, this is how anti-air module and sunken colony works. The only difference is that splash damage has a value to distribute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrizio Senesi
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
Quote:

In my starcraft lite variant, this is how anti-air module and sunken colony works. The only difference is that splash damage has a value to distribute.

i downloaded your rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

Unfortunately, it will not be the final version since by playing the video game, I realised that there was some errors. So you can expect eventually an improved version.

Still any comments on the current version could be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.