Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any reason why you wouldn't build all 3 possible expansions on your turn? I'm sure there's a reason I'm not seeing yet, but I can't figure it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
stormseeker75 wrote:
Is there any reason why you wouldn't build all 3 possible expansions on your turn? I'm sure there's a reason I'm not seeing yet, but I can't figure it out.

The most obvious is if the company can't afford it, but you still want to build. You might also want to prolong the end of the game, or hope to build up other lines in which you've invested, before paying out dividends.

I'm sure JC will be here shortly to repeat everything I've just written, and then some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
stormseeker75 wrote:

Good question. We've always built all three, unless the railroad is out of cubes.

And I have another query: has anyone developed timber hexes? It seems that the payout to the railroad is too little to be worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rudram
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No cash in the company.
Timing of hitting Chicago (maybe).
Want to leave someone else a hard decision (maybe).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rudram
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
photocurio wrote:
stormseeker75 wrote:

Good question. We've always built all three, unless the railroad is out of cubes.

And I have another query: has anyone developed timber hexes? It seems that the payout to the railroad is too little to be worth it.

Seen it once, as it ended the round and put a enough into the company to blaze across the plains south and east of Chicago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
photocurio wrote:

I've done it once, because I didn't have any better options available to me at the time. But I've since learned that you can develop other hexes more than once; had I known that, I would have re-developed a mine or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
But I've since learned that you can develop other hexes more than once; had I known that, I would have re-developed a mine or something.

You are not allowed to develop a mine, timber, or non-industrial city more than once. This is explicitly stated in the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you can re-develop a mine. I think only industrial cities can be developed more than once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
mb
jdludlow wrote:
Verkisto wrote:
But I've since learned that you can develop other hexes more than once; had I known that, I would have re-developed a mine or something.

You are not allowed to develop a mine, timber, or non-industrial city more than once. This is explicitly stated in the rulebook.

The industrial cities, then. Re-developing one of those would have been far better than adding a buck to a company's reserves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Verkisto wrote:
The most obvious is if the company can't afford it, but you still want to build. You might also want to prolong the end of the game, or hope to build up other lines in which you've invested, before paying out dividends.

Those are the biggies, plus the occasions company doesn't have 3 cubes. very occasionally a player will select Expand and do nothing, but that's vanishingly rare. Null capitalisations are however quire common. A more subtle reason for sub-size Expands occurred in a recent 4 player game (and yeah, I was the machiavelli):

There was one Capitalisation and two Expands left. I expanded the B&O almost up to Chicago but not quite. There were more than enough cubes and money left in the treasury to get the NYC to Chicago. The player to my left owned 2 NYC shares to my 3. They also owned 1 C&O shared to another player's 2. I owned no C&O shares. The player with the 2 C&O shares had a strong cash lead (we'd been buying shares). C&O was also a single expand away from Chicago. The player opposite me owned neither C&O or NYC and if left with an Expand would clearly do something irrelevant to me and my right hand neighbour. If I'd have gone all the way to Chicago then they would have brought the C&O into Chicago, but by hanging back I forced them to assist me and temporarily abandon the C&O.

I was soundly cursed out for putting them in such a bind. Unfortunately I ended up losing the game so it al came to naught, but it was a nice little mid-game ply to get myself back in contention.

Quote:
I'm sure JC will be here shortly to repeat everything I've just written, and then some.

Oops.

photocurio wrote:

I understand it happens a bit in 5 & 6 player games -- development is far more common in such larger games than it is with smaller player counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Verkisto wrote:
The industrial cities, then.

Specifically Wheeling and Pittsburgh, not Detroit.

Quote:
Re-developing one of those would have been far better than adding a buck to a company's reserves.

$2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
mb
clearclaw wrote:
Verkisto wrote:
The industrial cities, then.

Specifically Wheeling and Pittsburgh, not Detroit.

Right.

Quote:
Quote:
Re-developing one of those would have been far better than adding a buck to a company's reserves.

$2

Goddammit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rudram
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:

There was one Capitalisation and two Expands left. I expanded the B&O almost up to Chicago but not quite. There were more than enough cubes and money left in the treasury to get the NYC to Chicago. The player to my left owned 2 NYC shares to my 3. They also owned 1 C&O shared to another player's 2. I owned no C&O shares. The player with the 2 C&O shares had a strong cash lead (we'd been buying shares). C&O was also a single expand away from Chicago. The player opposite me owned neither C&O or NYC and if left with an Expand would clearly do something irrelevant to me and my right hand neighbour. If I'd have gone all the way to Chicago then they would have brought the C&O into Chicago, but by hanging back I forced them to assist me and temporarily abandon the C&O.

This answer really explains what is so great about this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about other players, but for me, these are things that one can see after a number of plays with different players. The game has a very tight group-think and some of the subtler actions take a while to grok and/or would be missed completely by new players.

Not taking a full expansion is likely to be a non-optimal move the vast majority of the time, but depending on the game, could be a situationally strong move. In the case where you hold the majority in a company, its not likely to be a strong move to only partially expand "your" company.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which action you take is often more important than what you do with it (or DON'T do with it, if you just use it for a blank).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.