Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Musselman
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In response to a strategy article I posted on Cuba, a reader commented that it's unfortunate that while BGG is flooded with session reports, game reviews, and images for many games, there are often practically no strategy articles at all.

We gave it some thought, and one objective difference between incentives for people to write the other types of articles as opposed to strategy guides is that there are microbadge awards for frequent contributors of reviews and session reports, but no such recognition for strategy guide contributors.

Is there a reason for the difference? Are strategy guides less valued by the community than session reports? Or was it simply that no one had gotten around to implementing it yet?

Thought I'd at least ask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard S
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The other difference I can think of is that reviews and session reports are required to be modded while strategy articles are not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Musselman
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thorndor wrote:
The other difference I can think of is that reviews and session reports are required to be modded while strategy articles are not.

Hadn't thought of that one, but it's an interesting observation. (Geeklists aren't modded either, right?)

Either way, if the issue is that Strategy Articles aren't modded, then fair enough, mod them.

From what I've seen, most strategy posts would easily pass moderation anyway, as they have pretty demonstrable objective value, so not much to lose there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It'd be nice to have system awarded MBs for file uploads, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
If you look closely at the bottom of the PAGE when you are writing these UP, then there are annotations with 'check-boxes' of which you CAN "submit" this for 'Modding' purposes. I usually don't even 'bother', as to what purpose is it to have several NON-"interested" parties passing judgments on something, for such with anything that they'll NEVAH! encounter or endeavor to do this for it, again? Now, it is true also that they might be willing to delve within whatever through 'piquing' their "interests", yet that isn't often the 'case'. I shall reiterate that the 'mods' ought to have "Subjects" geared TOWARDS what it is that they're "into", based upon criteria from their "Profiles" here. That will, in addition, compel them to FILL OUT theirs, if they wished to participate! In this manner, then *specious* adjudications will be avoided from those NOT in the least "familiar" with some GAME, of whom otherwise even shouldn't BE doing this in the 1st place! Would you WANT 'moi' doing THAT with your "revered" kinds? Oh!, then I just MIGHT!
shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
Well - I could base it on a number of thumbs for articles posted in the strategy forums?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Musselman
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
Well - I could base it on a number of thumbs for articles posted in the strategy forums?

Number of total thumbs for strategy articles wouldn't be a bad way to do it.

At first I was thinking of something similar to the Geeklist awards: X or more posts with at least Y thumbs each.

But there's something to be said for a strategy poster who only posted two or three articles, but of such quality that they received dozens of thumbs each.

I trust your judgment on what's best there, Aldie, along with what you think is an appropriate threshold for copper, silver, gold. I'd be happy enough just knowing it's out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whilst I agree with the sentiment, there is always an inherent danger modding strategy articles. Firstly any such modding must require/need a reasonable knowledge of the game and if the article is written to any depth, then the modder will need to be in that zone of expertise as well. Secondly there is generally some degree of subjectivity as well in any strategy discussion. The old adage " One man's meat is another man's poison " springs to mind. Always a worry when modders start commenting on games they know nothing about!

I do like the idea and hope that some answer or compromise can be found, but I retain a lingering doubt that any outcome may engender whinging and whining by those feeling aggrieved about their opus.

Maybe a more general " Best of the Month ", decided by Aldie alone, would be a simpler and more acceptable option?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
...'mods' ought to have "Subjects" geared TOWARDS what it is that they're "into", based upon criteria from their "Profiles" here. That will, in addition, compel them to FILL OUT theirs, if they wished to participate! In this manner, then *specious* adjudications will be avoided from those NOT in the least "familiar" with some GAME, of whom otherwise even shouldn't BE doing this in the 1st place!
Robert's got a darn good idea here - i.e., having people only be able to mod games they have familiarity with. I humbly offer a modification to his brainstorm: rather than prevent people below a certain threshold of familiarity from modding content, maybe moderation could be weighted based on famliarity. If modder X has logged 50 plays of a specific game and modder Y has logged 2, shouldn't X's opinion of a strategy article, review, etc. on that game carry more weight?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls