skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
As Bulwer-Lytton said, "it was a dark and stormy night" as our brave band of adventurers, started their hopeless battle against the mighty and powerful Demon Prince. The Demon Prince is poised to take over the world.

"Traitors Abound: Reports began to filter back to the towns of Terrinoth of an insidious overlord who desired nothing less than dominion overall creatures. The overlord knew how to use magical tattoos to enslave the minds of men, and using this art, set brother against brother and father against son.
The delicate alliance of cities was soon perched on the edge of civil war; no one knowing who they could trust. Fortunately, a small band of heroes was forming at that same time in the city of Tamalir..."

The doomed heroes, Corbin, Tahlia, Andria Runehand, and Tetherys started their journey at the city of Tamilar. Up north, the overlord commanded his lieutenant, Alric Farrow, to journey to the town of Norekhall. What plans does the overlord have for Norekhall?

The band of heroes started off into the wilds of the country, following the road to Thelsvan Highway. Luckily for them, nothing impeded their journey into The Mine.

"The ceiling above moans and shifts as a trickle of dirt falls to the ground below. There's no telling what could cause a cave-in. Ahead, you hear the steady clink of pickaxes being used to mine the level."

The Mine was rundown, and overrun with enemies, who, contrary to their nature, seemed to be mining. The presence of bane spiders, skeletons, razorwings, and the stink of a Naga, doing the work of mean, was senses by the heroes. The heroes interfered the mine, and were greeted by the sight of armed skeletons facing them down the hallway, bows armed and poised to shoot. The heroes entered, choosing to face their foes gallantly, as the approached the skeletons, the presence of two razorwings made themselves known. The heroes easily took care of the skeletons, preparing for the naga and others in the mine.
The mine was not much of a challenge for our intrepid explorers, but they did suffer one casualty, Corbin, the dwarf, fell after repeated attacks from the razor wings, traps, and other spawned creatures by the overlord.

*This level was none too hard for the PCs. The overlord, who realized right now, never used his special abilities, and thus, gave the heroes a better chance. Yet, the overlord was able to get out Evil Genius, and was able to draw 3 cards per turn. The heroes worked this dungeon pretty hard, with very little damage happening. It was a frustrating turn for the overlord. However, as the exited the dungeon, the overlord had a full hand and lots of threat.*

The mine was defeated. The heroes emerged victorious, and aside from Corbin, fairly unscathed. At the end of the dungeon, they discovered another passageway that leads to the Warrens. The treasures, sadly, were lacking.

"The twisting passages appear all alike to you, but the faint stretches and growls that echo back from further ahead tell you are not alone."

Triumphant and confident from their experience in the mine, the heroes move forward with little preparation in town. They enter the two-pronged dungeon, confident and full of gusto. The team moves forward quickly only to discover the presence of beastmen and kobolds in they’re way at the end of the hallway. The heroes charge forward, making quick work of the beastmenan kobolds. Confident in their progress, the team splits up, two head down one hallway and Thalia and Corbin makes her way down the other hallway by herself.

*In the meantime, the Overlord, spawns, throughout the dungeon, 1 master dark priest, and 1 dark priest, and later, 2 blood apes. Additionally, later on in the dungeon, the overlord is able to get out Trapmaster, making all traps in these dungeons, doubly dangerous*

Meanwhile, the party moves on. The party discovers two brother sorcerers, seemingly linked in health. Corbin, as before, works his way down the hallway, beating back apes, spiders, apes, and traps. Corbin, once again, falls to the sorcerers and beasts attacks. Meanwhile, up north, Andria Runehand is meet by a master dark priest. Andria, confident in her magical abilities, takes a shot. Although he doesn't look it, the dark priest avoids the attack. The counter-attack is deadly, hitting Andria hard. His companion comes into help, but is also unable to do much damage to the dark priest. Andria, soon falls to the double-attack of the sorcerer and dark priest. The adventures are not having a good time at this one. The small passageways, and the linked brothers are proving difficult. The team bands together and manages to finally down both dark priests after a monumental effort. The brothers were next, and after 4 - 5 attacks, manage to take them down.

*This level proved to be much more productive for the overlord. Yet it is still very hard for him. The heroes are till one-shotting most of the minions thrown at them. If it weren't for the bad rolling, the dark priests certainly wouldn't have had the effect on Andria that they did. The Trapmaster card proved to be well worth the cost as they moved throughout the dungeon, many traps, pits, and rubble hindered and hurt their way. Still, the overlord is not confident.*

Tired, beatdown, but determined, the heroes march to the next level--Mask of the Monster.

"Smoke from your torch sink to the floor, running along the tiles before being sucked into the depths of a pit up ahead. Something is wrong here."

Something indeed. This dungeon is swarming with monsters. The team is tired, and having lost companions before, steps forward a little more gingerly this time. As before, as they enter they are greeted by the road bumps they are now affectionately calling beastmen. The team works through them like a dwarf with ale. The beastmen don't seem to be able to even get out a whimper as they are worked. However, deeper in the dungeon, they hear the sounds of kobolds, and a ferrox. They head in. As Thalia moves forward, traps hit her, doing increasing more damage as she step through the dungeon. She is sensing a pattern of rubble falling on her. Should she be more cautious?

As they move through the dungeon, they discover a room at the end of the hallway, with Velfor, with a mask of power. They head in, Thereys, staying further behind to loot some treasure. Corbin, leading the way, is swarmed by kobolds. The others, cautiously behind Corbin, are surprised by another kobold swarm. The battle ensues. Corbin, the mighty dwarf, takes hit after hit from kobolds, and Velfor, taking minor damage, but consistent off the beastlord. Meanwhile, it seems that Temerys, can't walk a few inches without rubble hitting her in the head. Although tough, this wears her down, and ultimately, kills her.

The heroes band together, and fight through this battle quickly.

*The heroes noticed at this point that the overlord, was down to very few cards. Three in fact.*

They finish off Velfor, rush to get the treasure, and out. They all make it, but at the last moments, Corbin, again, are hit by two successive traps, killing him as he leaps for the portal.

*By far, this was the most effective dungeon for the overlord. The spawns were easier to produce, and the shear numbers of the kobolds helped. Yet, I never felt that I had the heroes in trouble most of the time. I wore them down with traps mainly.*

The heroes, metered from the dungeon, and headed back to town to rest.

Heroes: 21, Overlord, 19.

Overall, it was a good game. I misplaced my notes so some spawns are missing, and I am doing most of this from memory. Being the overlord, I was extremity frustrated at the brittleness of my monsters. Almost all of my monsters are one-shotted each time by the heroes, whether master or normal. As the dungeons wore on, I was able to wear the heroes down, but with their large health, and big dice pools, I never felt that I was hurting them as well as I could. It didn't help, that I missed both of my Avatar's abilities. I may ask the group if I can change one as the abilities I went with are repetitive. Do others feel this way in the beginning? I know when I upgrade my monsters to silver, I will start hurting them more, but taking down the heroes this evening was tough. Real tough. If it weren't for Corbin, I wouldn't have succeeded at all. I did manage to get through my deck once, and I was very close to running through it a second time, and if I had, I would have silver monsters next round.

Good game, and a very good start to the campaign. I just hope I can be a bit more harassing this next time.

Here are the heroes and their starting skills:

Thalia, Mighty (+2 damage)
Corbin, Cautious (Overlord receives 1 fewer threat token, and Corbin takes 1 less wound due to traps) -- by far this was the most effective talent.
Tetherys, Rapid Fire
Andria Runehand, Wild Talent

Overlord, Eldritch Lore and Lawlessness (I want to see if the team will let me pick new talent as I didn't notice that I repeated an ability I already had in Eldritch Lore--no bigs if not).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
good report! keep em comin'!

Cheers,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hall
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent monsters have always been fragile, especially the lower tiers. Upgrades should help toughen them up- your skeletons might actually be able to take a hit from an axe. Maybe your players will take some time to go shopping or something so you can get in the upgrade before the next dungeon.

Cautious looks like it should be a very good skill. Although the damage reduction is nice (I'm a little surprised that between that and Corbin's inate damage resistance you were able to keep killing him with traps), the threat reduction is the biggie. Considering how many dungeons will be played in the campaign, that adds up to a lot of lost threat. My own dream combo when I play a hero in my group's next campaign is to play Spiritspeaker Mok (increases all card costs by one) with cautious.

Eldritch lore- is that the one that increases your hand size? I assume that would stack with the Demon Prince's inate ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it is the one that increases hand size. I want it, but I would rather have had it later in game since my innate ability is the same. I would have probably taken the "take 10 cards out of the Overlord deck" ability instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Allen
United States
Humble
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cscottk wrote:
Yeah, it is the one that increases hand size. I want it, but I would rather have had it later in game since my innate ability is the same. I would have probably taken the "take 10 cards out of the Overlord deck" ability instead.

I thought it was the take 4 out ability?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.