Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul / PHX Gamer
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Noticed some good deals on Amazon today and wanted to share.

Vegas Showdown:
http://www.amazon.com/Avalon-Hill-MLB95442-Vegas-Showdown/dp...

Industria:
http://www.amazon.com/6028-Industria-Board-Game/dp/B000CNE03...

Quo Vadis:
http://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Sports-Cards-MFG00490-Vadis/dp...

Sunken City:
http://www.amazon.com/Uberplay-Hansa-Board-Game/dp/B0006HCWI...

Carcassonne The Tower:
http://www.amazon.com/Family-Board-Games-Carcassonne-Tower/d...

Carcassonne The City:
http://www.amazon.com/Rio-Grande-Games-Carcassonne-City/dp/B...

Lord of the Rings The Duel:
http://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Sports-Cards-Lord-Rings/dp/B00...

Genesis:
http://www.amazon.com/Face-2-115656-Genesis/dp/B000QJ6YR8/re...

Trias:
http://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Sports-Cards-Trias/dp/B0009Z3M...

Bridges of Shangri-la
http://www.amazon.com/Uberplay-The-Bridges-of-Shangri-La/dp/...

Edited for Typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, beware, the mark downs may not be as good as they look! Checking out "Genesis" it looks like it's 39% off the Amazon stated MSRP of $42.. but checking ThoughtHammer the MSRP is listed as $38... and with even their smaller 35% off MSRP, is less ($24.70 vs $25.76).

I know it's not much of a difference... but still, buyer beware. Since at least that one is being sold directly from Amazon you do get free ship with $25+ orders, it may still be worth it, but it bugs me to see inflated MSRP that deceives

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ps: it doesn't look like all are sold direct from Amazon... Bridges of ... doesn't qualify for free ship as it's from phoenix labs, and Vegas Showdown is from infamous (for his shilling) bigrob... though its weird that one still qualifies toward the free ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United States
Massillon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne: The Castle takes you to a listing for Carcassonne: The City (MSRP $49.95) but does show the box cover for The Castle. I'm not sure what you'll actually get if you order this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul / PHX Gamer
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edited for Typo. Thanks for pointing it out. It's probably not germane, but I don't work for Amazon nor any of the individual companies selling the games. Just ran across these and thought someone might be interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be nice to put .COM, US, or $ in the title somewhere for those of us not in the US.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boltongeordie wrote:
It would be nice to put .COM, US, or $ in the title somewhere for those of us not in the US.

Amazon only ships within the USA?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
I am sure it will ship elsewhere if you pay enough, though it stops being a hot deal pretty quickly when you add international shipping.

Amazon.co.uk doesn't have these deals. Nor does Amazon.de.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had Amazon ship directly to the UK, France, and Australia. While it wasn't cheap, it was less expensive than having it shipped to my house and then me sending it over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

JeffyJeff wrote:
Hmm, beware, the mark downs may not be as good as they look! Checking out "Genesis" it looks like it's 39% off the Amazon stated MSRP of $42.. but checking ThoughtHammer the MSRP is listed as $38... and with even their smaller 35% off MSRP, is less ($24.70 vs $25.76). I know it's not much of a difference... but still, buyer beware.

Buyer beware, indeed! Thank you for demonstrating ever so inadvertently the fallacy of comparing Amazon.com prices with those of ThoughtHammer, for ThoughtHammer is hardly a leader in competitive game pricing. Indeed, it withdrew from participating in www.boardgameprices.com. In that respect, they apparently preferred to turn off their logo light bulb and leave us in the dark about how their prices compare with those of other competing online game stores.

Currently, although ThoughtHammer's website shows $24.70 as its price for "Genesis," www.boardgameprices.com shows that the best prices for Reiner Knizia's "Genesis" game in the USA actually are:

$21.75 Time Well Spent
$22.31 Superhero Gameland
$22.40 Boards & Bits
$22.40 Boulder Games
$22.45 Dragon Talon Games
$22.99 CoolStuffInc.com
$23.90 Phoenix Games Online
$24.45 Fair Play Games

(Most of the game companies listed above also have free shipping incentives. The lowest qualifying purchase amount for free shipping in ordering games of any and all types is $99.00 by www.superherogameland.com.)

So, if it were still participating in www.boardgameprices.com, ThoughtHammer's $24.70 price for "Genesis" would have been #9 on that list above.

JeffyJeff wrote:
Since at least that one is being sold directly from Amazon, you do get free shipping with $25+ orders, it may still be worth it, but it bugs me to see inflated MSRP that deceives

The Suggested Manufacturer's Retail Price may well have gone up over the past year. So, that $38.00 listed by Amazon.com might be either old info if not erroneous info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Slater
United Kingdom
Newport
Newport, South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
boltongeordie wrote:

Yes, they only ship stuff like CDs, books and DVD's outside the US, Games (all types) & Gadgets wont be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:
Since at least that one is being sold directly from Amazon, you do get free shipping with $25+ orders, it may still be worth it, but it bugs me to see inflated MSRP that deceives

The Suggested Manufacturer's Retail Price may well have gone up over the past year. So, that $38.00 listed by Amazon.com might be either old info if not erroneous info.

Though actually in this case I did check (but didn't report) that I checked funagain as well for the MSRP as ThoughtHammer has had incorrect (in the consumers favor) MSRP's before.

It could still be that both ThoughtHammer and Funagain have an outdated (and lower) MSRP listed, but funagain is less likely (they are more on the ball it seems when it comes to MSRP)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue (She/her)
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
ps: it doesn't look like all are sold direct from Amazon... Bridges of ... doesn't qualify for free ship as it's from phoenix labs, and Vegas Showdown is from infamous (for his shilling) bigrob... though its weird that one still qualifies toward the free ship.

Yeah, I didn't notice this. I ordered a copy of VS for $11, thinking I'd add it to a Super-Saver order from yesterday, but after I had it all ordered, I realized I couldn't combine them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Detwiler
United States
Lehigh Valley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:

JeffyJeff wrote:
Hmm, beware, the mark downs may not be as good as they look! Checking out "Genesis" it looks like it's 39% off the Amazon stated MSRP of $42.. but checking ThoughtHammer the MSRP is listed as $38... and with even their smaller 35% off MSRP, is less ($24.70 vs $25.76). I know it's not much of a difference... but still, buyer beware.

Buyer beware, indeed! Thank you for demonstrating ever so inadvertently the fallacy of comparing Amazon.com prices with those of ThoughtHammer, for ThoughtHammer is hardly a leader in competitive game pricing. Indeed, it withdrew from participating in www.boardgameprices.com. In that respect, they apparently preferred to turn off their logo light bulb and leave us in the dark about how their prices compare with those of other competing online game stores.

Currently, although ThoughtHammer's website shows $24.70 as its price for "Genesis," www.boardgameprices.com shows that the best prices for Reiner Knizia's "Genesis" game in the USA actually are:

$21.75 Time Well Spent
$22.31 Superhero Gameland
$22.40 Boards & Bits
$22.40 Boulder Games
$22.45 Dragon Talon Games
$22.99 CoolStuffInc.com
$23.90 Phoenix Games Online
$24.45 Fair Play Games

(Most of the game companies listed above also have free shipping incentives. The lowest qualifying purchase amount for free shipping in ordering games of any and all types is $99.00 by www.superherogameland.com.)

So, if it were still participating in www.boardgameprices.com, ThoughtHammer's $24.70 price for "Genesis" would have been #9 on that list above.

JeffyJeff wrote:

I know it is a little off topic, but I always wondered "why all the Thoughthammer love" too. They certainly are not priced as competitively as many other online game retailers, yet they are consistently rated highly by gamers who enjoy overpaying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
weevol wrote:
I know it is a little off topic, but I always wondered "why all the Thoughthammer love" too. They certainly are not priced as competitively as many other online game retailers, yet they are consistently rated highly by gamers who enjoy overpaying.

I always look at two things:

1. out the door price (including shipping).

2. availability of the games I want

ThoughtHammer consistently (but not always) meets both of those.

Boards&Bits, even though he no longer offers free shipping, if you are ordering some Rio Grande Games titles, can still beat thoughthammer because he's still selling them at 40% off MSRP (vs. TH at 35%). However he keeps a lot less inventory on hand (I think he said he aims for 1 or 2 weeks antipated demand worth), and when I'm ready to order he's always out of something in my cart.

Please elborate on your situation... what online store consistently meets both #1 and #2 for you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armando Gurrola
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Thought Hammer a lot, but usually choose something else. I usually tell others about it around Christmas time, cause I am in Texas, and they ship very very quickly. If I am willing to wait for a game, I usually choose something else like timewellspent or such, as I get the tax which would cancel out the free shipping for 125 or so anyway. They have been doing a little less on percentage off of stuff lately, which is ok I guess, but makes me looks at other cheaper priced game places.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Detwiler
United States
Lehigh Valley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
weevol wrote:

Boards&Bits, even though he no longer offers free shipping, if you are ordering some Rio Grande Games titles, can still beat thoughthammer because he's still selling them at 40% off MSRP (vs. TH at 35%). However he keeps a lot less inventory on hand (I think he said he aims for 1 or 2 weeks antipated demand worth), and when I'm ready to order he's always out of something in my cart.

Please elborate on your situation... what online store consistently meets both #1 and #2 for you?

I look at prices from about 6 or 7 online retailers before I buy, and I usually buy several games at once. So far I have bought from TWS and superherogameland for the free shipping. TH probably has the most consistent stock, but I can usually beat their price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

JeffyJeff wrote:
weevol wrote:

And out the door goes your money as well with that sort of dim-bulb reasoning which suggests without the least qualification or proof whatsoever that ThoughtHammer with game prices already several dollars higher supposedly offers a cheaper overall price for the shipping of single-item orders.

JeffyJeff wrote:

You forgot to mention that the owner of Boards & Bits has been the biggest advocate and supporter of price-fixing as well which in no way benefits game-buying consumers.

JeffyJeff wrote:

Notably, you forgot to include #3: Competitive Pricing and #4: Free Shipping Incentives.

So, in terms of meeting not just #1-2 but also #3-4, the following are my recommendations:

1. Boulder Games
2. SuperHero Gameland
3. FairPlay Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
weevol wrote:
I look at prices from about 6 or 7 online retailers before I buy, and I usually buy several games at once. So far I have bought from TWS and superherogameland for the free shipping. TH probably has the most consistent stock, but I can usually beat their price.

But that's the rub... if everything I want isn't in stock .... as a matter of practice I longer place pre-orders of back orders... been stuck with several orders one where I waited 6 months

Here's my last TH order (a combined one w/a friend)...

1 x Power Grid Power Plant Deck 2 (Card Expansion) (RGG 322) = $8.37
1 x 10 Days in Asia (OTB 1013) = $17.49
1 x (Ding & Dent) Kingsburg (ELF SL0020-DING) = $36.00
1 x (Ding & Dent) Louis XIV - Intrigue in the Court of the Sun King (RGG 262-DING) = $17.97
1 x In the Year of the Dragon (RGG 348) = $29.22
1 x Thurn & Taxis: All Roads Lead to Rome (RGG 356) = $19.47

Total $128.52 and free shipping.

At timewellspent they don't have Kingsburg in stock (neither does TH saying it's currently out of print)

10 days in Asia - Out of the Box Publishing New $ 16.75 $ 16.75
In the Year of the Dragon - Rio Grande New $ 29.20 $ 29.20
Louis XIV - Rio Grande New $ 18.75 $ 18.75
Power Grid: The New Power Plant Cards - Rio Grande New $ 7.50 $ 7.50
Thurn and Taxis - All Roads Lead To Rome - Rio Grande New $ 19.40 $ 19.40
Sub-Total $ 91.60
Shipping + $ 15.84
Sales Tax + $ 0.00
Total $ 107.43

Now adding in Kingsburg, assuming they had it in stock, their price was $39, total would be $146.43... and that doesn't factor in additional shipping charge for the extra item.

Of course we did save a couple dollars at TH with the hard to notice/find ding/dent, but that only saved an extra $4.50 at TH vs. the mint condition boxes.

Boards&Bits I think would be a better comparision as several RGG titles above so extra 5% off MSRP, and flat rate $4.50 shipping on $100+ orders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:
... with that sort of dim-bulb reasoning ...

Please leave the personal insults at home. I defended your side on Boards&Bits blacklisting you as a customer, but with uncalled personal attacks like this then I may have to defend Boards&Bits (Tom) after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

JeffyJeff wrote:
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:
... with that sort of dim-bulb reasoning ...

Please leave the personal insults at home.

False issue. If I were leveling personal insults at ya, I'd have called you yourself a dim bulb outright. In proper context, I more than qualified your reasoning about ThoughtHammer (whose logo is a light bulb) as dim-bulbed in the sense of its being so downright dunderheaded and wrongheaded at the same time. Notably you didn't venture to even try to vindicate your somewhat less-than-enlightening reasoning about ThoughtHammer's supposed superiority in the categories of #1: Individual Out-The-Door Price; #2: Availabilty of the Games You Want; #3: Competive Pricing; and #4: Shipping Incentives.

Moreover, your isolation of that solitary phrase without regard to its surrounding sentences and words makes it appear you were trying to distort its proper context. Here below, I reproduce the original paragraphs in full for proper context:

ShreveportLAGamer wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:
weevol wrote:

2. availability of the games I want.

And out the door goes your money as well with that sort of dim-bulb reasoning which suggests without the least qualification or proof whatsoever that ThoughtHammer with game prices already several dollars higher supposedly offers a cheaper overall price for the shipping of single-item orders.

JeffyJeff wrote:
I defended your side on Boards&Bits blacklisting you as a customer, but with uncalled personal attacks like this then I may have to defend Boards&Bits (Tom) after all.

If your convictions are so shallow that you cannot judge the integrity of an altogether different issue based on its own merits and/or if you cannot offer a proper in-context counterpoint, then I certainly don't want anybody defending me who would make such disingenuous leaps of illogic in the first place.

Rather, with that sort of twisted logic, perhaps you should consider posting a message to Tom Powers, owner of Boards & Bits, commending him for banning a patron of two years -- myself -- who would be so audacious as to publicly voice his own skepticism about continuing that patronage with an online game store which not only supported but also advocated price fixing. At the same time, however, I defy you to explain in credible, lucid terms how price fixing is supposedly good for us game-buying consumers. I absolutely defy you to do so.

Then everybody can judge for him-/herself how many watts of power your reasoning is putting out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Detwiler
United States
Lehigh Valley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's alot of venom James King!

I agree with you that TH does not appeal to my game buying preferences, but you really did get a little pumpkin carving happy on Jeffy Jeff. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

weevol wrote:
That's a lot of venom, James King! I agree with you that TH does not appeal to my game buying preferences, but you really did get a little pumpkin carving happy on Jeffy Jeff. ninja

Uh, no, the more "Owch!" appropriate comparison you might have made would have been that in terms of Jeff's trying to make a strained and out-of-context comparison between two entirely different subject matters while trying to disingenuously measure them on the same merits, while it might have been painful to watch me point out all the bullet holes that Jeff had shot in both his own feet logicwise, they were nonetheless self-inflicted bullets just the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.