Mark Bigney
United States
Alexandria Bay
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering if
a) it was a priority of the design team to make the scenarios balanced (because it's not for all wargames), and
b) if people had the impression that the scenarios were balanced.
I'm only one play in, so I'm not really in a position to speculate. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    I know -- someone replied to your thread and you're excited to see their opinion on the subject!

But, my first game will be tonight, so no informed comment yet (sorry about that).

In general I think that most war games based on a historical setting should mirror any imbalances of the actual war. Given the length of time covered by this game it is reasonable to have one side have a distinct advantage, sometimes English, sometimes French. Likely this would be heavily influenced by the individual leaders and their competence on the field of battle.

This is exactly what I believe WoG is attemtping to do. I look forward to finding out for myself.

Sag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Troutman
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Any Luggage Sir? - No, just this carrion.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if you will fund this helpful either but I've played WoG 3 times so far. All have been solo, however, so f2f may reveal something I haven't seen yet.

I played the 100YW scenario once and it went the full turn limit with the English winning (literally) by a point.

I've played the LiW scenario two times. In one game the English (the terms "English" or "French" are pretty subjective in this era) won an early automatic victory after 8 turns. The other game was a French victory on points (11 or 12, I think) after the full turn limit.

Obviously things could be vastly different against a "live" opponent, but it feels fairly balanced. The random quality introduced by the Leader death mechanic could definitely make any given game very un-balanced though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grant
United States
Lafayette
CO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also solitaired the 100 Years War scenario and felt that it was a pretty fair fight. Just be ready to be frustrated with your really stupid generals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Alexandria Bay
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much for the replies so far.
Any other reports?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

The French did very well for me last night. England seemed to have a problem getting strong leaders onto the board. 100YW scenario.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattwran
United States
LONGMEADOW
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My one play of the 100YW scenario resulted in an English auto-win on turn 10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are pretty balanced, although if one leader starts to run away with it and the dice gods don't step in, they can end earlier than anticipated. This is true for either side in both scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Borg
Sweden
Lund
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that especially the 100YW scenario is hard to win as the English. Do you have the same experience?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If the English get a footing in France I thinks it's pretty even, but the French are easier to play. The English need to take the initiative, need to press.

Don't forget the Sea-Dogs rule for that scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls