9 Posts

World of Warcraft: The Boardgame» Forums » Variants

Subject: WoW to Descent Conversion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Abrams
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had come up with a way to combine the World of Warcraft characters and monsters with the Descent gameplay/combat? I really enjoy both games but I would love to be able to use the more robust WoW characters with Descent's more tactical combat system/dungeons. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Askew
United Kingdom
Pelaw, Gateshead
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure the official WoW RPG game is based on the D20 system, that should help you working out equivalent stats etc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've thought of this too, but there is a big but:

If you want to use Descent's combat system you'll have to completely abandon WoW board's combat system. If you want to do this, you have to remake all the characters, and all the spells, and all the items to fit the new system.

And the fantastic level-up system and the feel of customizing your character in WoW board is intricately tied to the combat system that simply can't be played on a dungeoncrawl level as it doesn't adjust at all for Line of Sight or distance or intricate movement, you'll have to come up with something that most game designers would kill to have come up with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
I think he just wants to use the minis from WoW in descent. I started doing a similar thing but can't find where I left it.

Ah, well that won't prove to be any problem at all. Just invent some awesome stats for the minis, some stats for the characters and go game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Abrams
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I guess making up some stats for the characters and monsters would work but I was looking/hoping for the type of system that keeps the level and skill progression from WoW like Zimeon suggested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Abrams
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, I know, which is why I came here hoping that someone else had already done it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fel Barros
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Senior Game Developer at CMON
mbmbmbmbmb
What if you give stats to monsters and had a combat system in a pvp way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.