Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Glodek
United States
Hackettstown
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes when my brother would reach the Crown before me I would go into the Timescape and hang out there until I got tough enough to beat him. All you gotta do is find the Warp Belt and you can stay in the Timescape for as long as you want. The worst part for him was that if it was just the two of us playing he would sit there doing absolutely nothing while I drew cards. This strategy didn't always work but it always made him mad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This could only unbalance Talisman if Talisman had any balance to begin with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just going to say the same thing… is Talisman balanced to begin with?

Timescape just adds some freaking hilarious randomness to a freaked hilarious random game. If you're upset with that rulehole, just houserule that the Commans Spell works in Timescape too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Glodek
United States
Hackettstown
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really feel the original game is quite balanced. Except for the Prophetess of course, who is the best character in the game. They fixed this in the fourth edition though. We've never played with many house rules. We pretty much stick to the original rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How did they fix the Prophetess in the 4th edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Glodek
United States
Hackettstown
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately my brother owns the game so I don't have it on hand. But I think what they changed is that instead of allowing her to draw two Adventure Cards and choosing which she keeps, she must draw one card and if she doesn't want it she can then draw another but must stick with the result of the second draw. I'll have to ask him though to verify.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds like a good fix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that's pretty much the fix. They nerfed the Monk too: He can only add base craft to battle, not craft gained from items/followers.

And I should rephrase myself: It's not so much that Talisman is unbalanced, than the game being a complete random adventure festa. If you get the warp belt, you're "immune" to the Command spell… sure. It's about the same as a Strength 9 fellow getting the Rune Sword, effectively gaining lives faster than the Command spell kills them.

Don't be afraid to houserule away anything that saps fun out of the game. Talisman isn't supposed to be played hard-core by rules in competitions. It's supposed to be pure entertainment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Glodek
United States
Hackettstown
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's why we only play Original with Expansion 1. It seems as if some of the later expansions were pure money-makers. There are a lot of bugs in them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:

Don't be afraid to houserule away anything that saps fun out of the game. Talisman isn't supposed to be played hard-core by rules in competitions. It's supposed to be pure entertainment.

Well stated. I agree with you 100% !!

It is one of the most fun games out there in my humble opinion! One of only 3 10rated games for me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mttbstrd666 wrote:
That's why we only play Original with Expansion 1. It seems as if some of the later expansions were pure money-makers. There are a lot of bugs in them.

Well, just smash the bugs, then!

I love using all expansions at once, I've explored the base game so much I know all cards beforehand. The expansions, however, are all "new" (just played some 5 times, perhaps). I also like that there are alternative (albeit random) ways into the Crown of Command. But all to his taste, I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Glodek
United States
Hackettstown
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always been one for the classics. And Talisman is no different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Timescape was my least liked expansion, partly because of the reason you state: spells don't work in timescape! Timescape adds another board where you can get good stuff, but you can't interact with anyone else at all. Some of the goofy new characters and items were cool, but I didn't like the new board at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lee
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Talisman is definitely random, but I agree that Timescape totally breaks it. It got so bad that we would quit if a player drew certain Timescape characters. And it was always a race to the Timescape to try and get space loot. Even dying, we'd start over and race for the Timescape again. If you get through it, you cake walk to the crown.

Our endgame was everyone but the "winner" watching a movie while the guy on Crown of Command played solo vs unattended characters. Sad really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple solution. Plau Timescape board without the Timescape charaters.
You can even play it without the Timescape equipment.

In fact we used it as a penalty board, where you were sent into Timescape whenever you've lost a Psychic battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lee
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wait, I've played this game...Arkham Horror!

Great Dane wrote:
Simple solution. Plau Timescape board without the Timescape charaters.
You can even play it without the Timescape equipment.

In fact we used it as a penalty board, where you were sent into Timescape whenever you've lost a Psychic battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Orientalist
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quick question: do I have to own the old original TALISMAN board game to be able to play TIMESCAPE? Or is it possible to play TIMESCAPE on its own?

Many thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Grainger
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orientalist wrote:
Quick question: do I have to own the old original TALISMAN board game to be able to play TIMESCAPE? Or is it possible to play TIMESCAPE on its own?

Many thanks!

It's an expansion; you need the original Talisman to play Timescape. Trust me, unless you're a Talisman completist, it isn't worth getting - it doesn't add anything much to the game, except clutter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Glodek
United States
Hackettstown
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too true Grainger, too true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Connors
United States
Genoa City
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I for one absolutely love timescape, bugs and all.My love stems from two sources.

1) Nothing is cooler than walking around as the Zulu in the ruins, beating up an ape, recieveing a jetpack and blasting off for greater adventures. Talisman is all about randomness, and nothing says random like a suprise jetpack.

2) The second best part about Talisman is the glorious train-wreck it usually devolves into. Timescape adds so much to the WTF Factor that is an integral part of Talisman. I'll never forget the day the Archaeologist became the Sherrif of the City while riding a unicorn. He was later enslaved for five turns, before getting murdered by Satan. Good times.

Talisman is one of the few games that I welcome the bugs and exploits that go along with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Timescape may have been my 2nd favorite expansion, I love it. People shouldn't tell others not to get it, instead just say they don't like it and why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.