♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Forgive me for using all-caps in the thread title, but that's how the webpage title displays. It's a LONG article condemning Christian rock, located here:

http://www.av1611.org/crock.html

Now, I don't consider myself Christian. Despite having a spiritual side, I tend to dismiss arguments from people who quote scripture to defend themselves. So I found this whole thing to be pretty entertaining, and, in some places, laughably dense. So, of course, I thought I would share it with the rest of you.

I'll start the discussion with a small question:

Why did the author name the document "crock"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
If sucking is blasphemy, then most Christian rock bands are quite blasphemous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

I'm really amazed, Michael, that you would be such an authority on the genre!

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Blessing or Blasphemy - is that the name of your punk rock band?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
vandemonium wrote:
Blessing or Blasphemy - is that the name of your punk rock band?

Ooh, with a ? at the end, it would be suitable, eh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamegrunt wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

I'm really amazed, Michael, that you would be such an authority on the genre!

Gg

I'm the authority on all genre's of music. I can also sing Kenny Rogers "The Gambler" from beginning to end without skipping a beat. Yes, I am that good.

//mikePod
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Crawford
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Make a joyful "noise" right?

My only problem is, that knowing a few details of the music industry, there comes a point in any musician's career that you face the choice, sell your soul, or keep playing local bars.

The christian genre is mostly like all the others in that it is there to turn "prophet".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Crock would be an appropriate title for this article. The fact that he opens with Amy Grant, someone who has released multiple secular albums, is the first mis-step in this misguided article. Then there's the inclusion of Johnny Cash on a list of Rock musicians

He seems to expect the artists to be 100% holy and without sin or flaw. Then if they have any flaws that is supposedly an indictment against their genre of music. If he would like me to list the sins and mistakes of the hymn writers it would make hymns look just as blasphemous. How about the Bible he reads and quotes. The quotes he uses come from men who were murderers, persecutors, and adulterers, yet God utilized them to pen the very scriptures that this writer claims to be defending.

It's misguided overzealous men like this who make Christianity look ridiculous and pointless. I'm 100% in agreement with you Isaac, you always have to take a man's words with a grain of salt when he plucks scriptures out of their context and starts using them to defend his arguments. Without context scripture can be made to serve any purpose...

"The whole herd rushed down the steep bank into the lake and died in the water...Go and do likewise."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
mb
Blott wrote:
He seems to expect the artists to be 100% holy and without sin or flaw. Then if they have any flaws that is supposedly an indictment against their genre of music. If he would like me to list the sins and mistakes of the hymn writers it would make hymns look just as blasphemous. How about the Bible he reads and quotes. The quotes he uses come from men who were murderers, persecutors, and adulterers, yet God utilized them to pen the very scriptures that this writer claims to be defending.

It's misguided overzealous men like this who make Christianity look ridiculous and pointless. I'm 100% in agreement with you Isaac, you always have to take a man's words with a grain of salt when he plucks scriptures out of their context and starts using them to defend his arguments. Without context scripture can be made to serve any purpose...

I couldn't have said it better.

Really. I probably would have come across like a dick if I had tried to get this point across in my own words.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Christians have always been really good about attacking their own. It's really obvious when you start talking about Christian "rock."

I like how you put rock in quotes. I always wonder when I hear these arguments...how fast does the tempo have to be to enter the "rock" category? Is there a required number of beats per minute, or does the addition of drums and electric guitar differentiate it as "rock"? It's just silly that the same notes that David sang are those that Jars of Clay are singing today, sometimes even the same lyrics (just in different languages) and yet one is worshipful psalms and the other is blasphemy.

Drew1365 wrote:
And the problem many Christiam musicians face is that the church thinks they're too "worldly" and the rest of the world considers them too churchy.

This is, by far, the best assessment of Contemporary Christian Music in today's society that I have ever read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
"The whole herd rushed down the steep bank into the lake and died in the water...Go and do likewise."

The bank I work at is pretty steep but there's no lake next to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
My biggest beef with Christian music (other than the theology, natch) is the me-tooism that the labels try to promote. The catalogs that say, "Like Slayer? Try Underøath!" really leave me feeling like they're trying to sell an artificial sweetener or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holmes! wrote:
My biggest beef with Christian music (other than the theology, natch)

Theology? My biggest beef is that most of the songs they play on Christian radio consist of the lyrics: "I love God" over and over and over. To be fair, most of the songs they play on any radio station consist of the lyrics "I love you" over and over and over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
The only quality Christian rock band out there is Faith +1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:

Hyperbole like this is always amusing to me. Like anyone could have even heard all the Christian rock bands out there.

(and yes, I know I used hyperbole in my statement on songs the radio plays)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
Hyperbole is, without a doubt, the single greatest rhetorical device in the history of mankind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holmes! wrote:
Hyperbole is, without a doubt, the single greatest rhetorical device in the history of mankind.

Screw that! It's the greatest thing ever!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
mb
quozl wrote:
Holmes! wrote:

EVAR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bela's dead and Vampira won't talk
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:

Did they ever manage to go double myrrh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
All those bands should be more like Black Sabbath:

After Forever
Have you ever thought about your soul - can it be saved?
Or perhaps you think that when youre dead you just stay in your grave
Is God just a thought within your head or is he a part of you?
Is christ just a name that you read in a book when you were in school?

When you think about death do you lose your breath or
Do you keep your cool?
Would you like to see the pope on the end of a rope
Do you think hes a fool?
Well I have seen the truth, yes Ive seen the light and Ive changed my ways
And Ill be prepared when youre lonely and scared at the end of our days

Could it be youre afraid of what your friends might say
If they knew you believe in God above?
They should realize before they criticize
That God is the only way to love

Is your mind so small that you have to fall
In with the pack wherever they run
Will you still sneer when death is near
And say they may as well worship the sun?

I think it was true it was people like you that crucified christ
I think it is sad the opinion you had was the only one voiced
Will you be so sure when your day is near, say you dont believe?
You had the chance but you turned it down, now you cant retrieve

Perhaps youll think before you say that God is dead and gone
Open your eyes, just realize that hes the one
The only one who can save you now from all this sin and hate
Or will you still jeer at all you hear? yes! I think its too late.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
I see Christian Rock as a huge blessing, not only just to Christians, but also as an evangelical tool. While hymns are just fine and dandy, rock music definitely relates to today's society much better, so any gorups that can merge the current popular sounds in music with a Christian message, more power to them.

I listen to K-LOVE radio a lot, and the music being produced by Christian artists is right on par with any other music out there. Most of it would be on secular radio if not for the unacceptable message of Christ that the songs contain. In fact, some of it does trickle over onto secular music stations, such as "I Can Only Imagine" by Mercy Me. My personal fave groups/artists in the genre are Plumb, KJ-52, Superchick, Mercy Me, Third Day, Casting Crowns, Chris Tomlin, Newsboys, TobyMac, and Jeremy Camp.

Quote:
My biggest beef is that most of the songs they play on Christian radio consist of the lyrics: "I love God" over and over and over.

While I think you're exaggerating a bit, isn't that basically the point of Christian music? If we're supposed to be worshipful in all we say and do, doesn't it make sense that Christian music is worshipful?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
Quote:
My biggest beef is that most of the songs they play on Christian radio consist of the lyrics: "I love God" over and over and over.

While I think you're exaggerating a bit, isn't that basically the point of Christian music? If we're supposed to be worshipful in all we say and do, doesn't it make sense that Christian music is worshipful?

Thanks, I was hoping someone would want to talk about this. I think the point of Christian music is to express life from a Christian perspective. Singing "I love God" over and over doesn't tell me anything about life.

Oh, and before we talk about "worshipful", can you tell me how you define it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
Quote:

Thanks, I was hoping someone would want to talk about this. I think the point of Christian music is to express life from a Christian perspective. Singing "I love God" over and over doesn't tell me anything about life.

Oh, and before we talk about "worshipful", can you tell me how you define it?

I can see what you mean there, that not only should the music be worshipful, but also send a message to non-Christians that aren't in a mindset to do that. A healthy mix would probably be good, I agree. I think there are a lot of songs that do that. A song that comes to mind is "We Live" by Superchick, or maybe another song about how Christian life should be is "If We are the Body" by Casting Crowns, or maybe another one of their songs, "Lifesong".

I do think that a lot of music, although saying "I love you Jesus" a lot, also explain the reason why we love Jesus which might shine some light on the situation for non-believers.

I'm not sure I can really define worshipful, but I guess I'd define it as a song that just puts me in a state where I'm giving thanks to God and letting him know that I love him. To me, that's where Christian music can be powerful to a Christian.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tracy
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
quozl wrote:
Holmes! wrote:

EVAR.

Hmm, I don't see anyone else listing Faith +1 in their list of favorite music in their profiles. I guess I am the only true fan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
I'm not sure I can really define worshipful, but I guess I'd define it as a song that just puts me in a state where I'm giving thanks to God and letting him know that I love him. To me, that's where Christian music can be powerful to a Christian.

Hmm.... I think all music that I like does that to me, whether it's Christian music or not. Pink Floyd's The Wall, for example, moves me to not only declare my love for God but to act on it by loving the people around me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.