Heave Ho!» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Too much math for a simple game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Valdir Jorge
flag msg tools
Date: December 26th, 2004

Game: Heave Ho!

Players: Rose (wife) and Valdir (myself)

My wife wanted to play something simple and fast, so I proposed this little game that I recently borrowed from the Games Club at Concordia University. I explained the rules and off we went.

She had some trouble with the special action cards and didn’t know exactly when to play them. However, during part of the game she had our son coaching her, telling her which cards were good and which were bad to play in each case.

I got the first two barrels without much trouble, it seemed it would be a runaway victory for me, but she toughened up and won the next two barrels, bringing the game to a tie. After some struggle in the fifth and decisive round, I was able to make the barrel stay on my side of the rope when all our cards ran out. This gave me that last barrel for a narrow 3x2 win.

My wife didn’t like the game that much because it demands constant recalculation of the relative strengths of each side based solely on the number cards.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.