Popular Tags: [View All]
Massimiliano della Rovere
Italy
Pisa
Tuscany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...how complex is this game compared to die Macher?

I am not referring to the rules, but to the amount of interlocking pieces during the gameflow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Rossney
United States
San Francisco
California [CA]
flag msg tools
Schmiel also designed A La Carte, Packen Wir's, Kunst Stucke, and Attila, so it's not like he's inexorably drawn to complexity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Whitmore
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Schmiel's always impressed me by the wide differences between his games. It's like he sets out to NEVER resue an idea from one of his previous games. I admire his willingness to design such dissimilar games. But it does mean you don't ever really know what to expect from him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer the initial poster, this is a fairly quick playing (I would estimate 1.5 hours on average) Euro-style game that, compared to others with similar playing time, is fairly meaty. Should take about 10-15 min. to fully explain the rules, compared to 30-45 min. to explain all the intricacies of Die Macher.

IMHO, this is the best game of those I have tried from last year's Essen (and I have tried the two that made the BGG Top 10, Agricola and Race). Unfortunately, its popularity at Essen (where it topped the Fairplay poll there) has not translated into high BGG ratings, mainly because of the failure of FFG to produce an English language edition in a timely manner. (Compared to say Agricola, which had no announced English edition as of Essen, which led to many people to buy the German one and make their own English paste-up versions, this one was announced as expected to be imminent -- as early as Dec. 2007, so just about none of the State-side Essen-goers picked it up, and we all know what's happened since.) Hopefully, it will be available in the next month or so, but I have heard that one before ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.