Subject: Non-DoW Hill Giant/Earth Elemental Minis rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Mac
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I don't use auctions and I can't foresee paying someone $60 for 2 ounces of plastic any time soon, I figured it would be nice to have a more updated and consolodated post about acceptable substitute figures from other brands. They don't have to look exactly like the DoW sculps (just how you think that creature should look), but they should be of the same approximate scale and still be in production. Also, if someone can toss in a link to the card/hex scans that would rock!

Edit: The scale of BattleLore minis is apparently 15mm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/2371010#2371010
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/2293203#2293203

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mac
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought about using Citadel minis, but I'm not sure how they stack up size-wise to the original DoW models and they tend to be way too expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mac
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen a lot of people using this guy as a Hill Giant stand-in :

He's the Boneclan Hunter from Dreamblade and he's available for less than a dollar on eBay without having to resort to auction bidding.

This is what I'm strongly considering for the Earth Elemental, but I don't know how D&D minis stack up scale-wise.

It's called the Loyal Earth Elemental and it's from the Underdark line of D&D minis. Also available bid-free on eBay for cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like the idea of the 'limited editions.' I found and purchased the game rather late...and like mentioned previously, I'm not about to spend that much money on them. And if there is still demand...then why not distribute them again? It strikes me as falling into the Magic the Gathering trap. I went and purchased the core box, love it...and had planned to buy the others, but now I'm hesitating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Neal
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear you on that one I feel the same way, I guess we all do about something that we missed along the way. I Got in on BL after the launch but was able to ebay the set with the hill giant for cheaper than my FLGS had the thing in stock without him at that time! Anyway, the minis I have seen on this thread were about what I would suggest, although I am in the process of looking through some D&d minis to see if any of them stack up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The boneclan hunter is my proxy of choice for the Hill Giant. I'm not familiar with the Earth Elemental for D&D, but as long as it isn't one of the large to huge figures, it should scale just fine.

The Hill Giant and the Earth Elemental are the only promotional pieces for the game as of yet (both coming out when the game first shipped), and I don't see there being many (if any) more, perhaps some gamecon creature here and there (though there wasn't one last year). I know people have differing opinions on this, but the idea of the piece is more important to me than collecting the piece, and creatures are easy to proxy. If whole units were released in this manner, that would be another thing, though still fairly easy to find some minis that would do the trick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mac
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto here. I'd love to have a set made up just of creatures that would include these guys. I'm mildly OCD so all the limited edition stuff never makes much sense to me when it comes to actual game pieces.

Given all the really nice sculpts out there for miniature gaming, I was pretty surprised that the best replacements were from collectable mini games and not Reaper or Citadel. If you find something you think is even remotely cool, go ahead and throw up a link.

For the cards/hexes, the best one's I've seen so far for my printer were from Roobarb in this post: http://www.daysofwonder.com/en/msg/?th=14053&start=0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used a couple of heroscape pieces for the two guys. The scale seems about right. I used a volcarren wasteland guy for the earth elemental, and a scottish warrior guy for the hill giant. I don't remember the real names.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mac
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so that Loyal Earth Elemental drom D&D is actually a good bit larger than the DoW EE. Looks pretty cool, though, if you don't my having a small building (by comparison) for a creature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
Mairena del Aljarafe
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, as I said in another thread, I think this guy:

is a fine replacement for the DoW hill giant. I have mine ready primed so I think I'll be able to post some pics soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.