John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
Surely I can't be the only person who saw Hulk this weekend, and was really surprised to find that he enjoyed it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
You saw Hulk Hogan?

I am green with envy.

This is your fault you know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought The Incredible Hulk was really good. The new spin on The Leader was especially fun, and of course setting up Leonard Samson in there for future applications...all good. I certainly didn't miss Eric Bana, nor Ang Lee. The moments of homage to all things Hulk were perfectly spaced, and I am practically foaming at the mouth waiting for the next step along the road to The Avengers. It will be tough to generate this kind of box office for the Pyms, don't you think? I guess they're going to need to focus on the Captain and Thor, unless they're going straight to the team-up flick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
I certainly didn't miss Eric Bana, nor Ang Lee.

I think I would miss Jennifer Connelly, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Yes, but what happened to Stan Lee?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I sat through the credits waiting to find out. I was quite surprised that they let that whole thing die with a broken bottle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
I guess they're going to need to focus on the Captain and Thor, unless they're going straight to the team-up flick.

Here you go:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0800369/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a Hulk thread here just a minute ago, but now it's gone. Did you see where it went, Bruce Banner Thread?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Anderson
United States
Gloucester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently the line up is:

Iron Man 2 - 2010
Thor - 2010
Captain America: The First Avenger - 2011
Avengers - 2011

The only problem is that Marvel's head studio guy is playing hardball with Jon Favreau so it looks like the dates on these may change.
---
I also just saw Incredible Hulk and I really enjoyed it. Not as much as old shellhead, but much better than Ang Lee's film. I loved the campus attack scene! You wouldn't like me when I'm...hungry?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
It was okay.

They're getting a plank to play the General for the sequel, hoping for a less wooden performance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legomancer wrote:
There was a Hulk thread here just a minute ago, but now it's gone. Did you see where it went, Bruce Banner Thread?

I can't top this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cap always beat's me to it. I'll have to see it soon. Looking forward to the team up in 2011.

-Iron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
Saw it Saturday night, and enjoyed it. It wasn't as good as Iron Man, by a mile, but it was much better than Ang Lee's version (which was a solid picture, in its own right). The Abomination/Hulk fight was really great; it was killer to see Hulk as superhero, not just misunderstood monster.

Word on the street is that Leonardo DiCaprio may play Steve Rogers. I think he'd do a great job, and would make for a terrific team-up. The guy who plays Thor better be pretty high caliber to keep up with Norton, Downey, and DiCaprio.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spatulaguy wrote:
I also just saw Incredible Hulk and I really enjoyed it. Not as much as old shellhead, but much better than Ang Lee's film. I loved the campus attack scene! You wouldn't like me when I'm...hungry?

Better than Ang Lee's Hulk? It must be euphoric!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt much could be worse than the Ang Lee "film".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
I doubt much could be worse than the Ang Lee "film".

You're making me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Boone
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Reading your recent posts has been like dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear so many people complain about how bad the Ang Lee movie was. Why is there so little love for it? I enjoyed it, and I have no desire to see this recent "reimagining". Though I admit it was probably considered a disappointment to movie execs if their goal was to sell toys and Burger King meals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Anderson
United States
Gloucester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ang Lee's Hulk was brooding and introspective with an acid-trip of an ending. I liked it, but I normally stop at the Nick Nolte-goes-crazy scene, because what comes after that is just silly.

Louis Leterrier's Hulk was fun and smash-tastic! It definitely paid homage to it's source materials (comic and tv), while being its own beast. It is definitely a lighter movie, but this is Hulk we're talking about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Anderson
United States
Gloucester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
booned wrote:
Why is there so little love for it? I enjoyed it, and I have no desire to see this recent "reimagining".

Actually, it was Ang Lee who "reimagined" the Hulk in his film by making it a father/son, troubled relationship film.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
booned wrote:
I hear so many people complain about how bad the Ang Lee movie was. Why is there so little love for it?

My guess is because it was three hours long, there was more talk about how a boy needs a father's love than about gamma rays and smashing, and because when the Hulk finally fought something, it was dogs and some kind of my-dad-turned-in-to-Neptune bullshit.

Quote:
I enjoyed it, and I have no desire to see this recent "reimagining". Though I admit it was probably considered a disappointment to movie execs if their goal was to sell toys and Burger King meals.

This is a 'reimagining' in the same way that Tombstone was a reimagining of Dead Man. After an art-hole comes in and ruins a perfectly good genre, you need to take it back to the basics. I'm not against art films. But comic books are for the 13-year old in me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spatulaguy wrote:
Ang Lee's Hulk was brooding and introspective with an acid-trip of an ending. I liked it, but I normally stop at the Nick Nolte-goes-crazy scene, because what comes after that is just silly.

I remember sitting in the theater in 2003...right when Betty and Bruce reunite in the city in a great scene ("You found me." "You weren't that hard to find!") I was thinking, "This was a pretty good movie!"

The last fifteen minutes washed those thoughts away completely. I've never seen an ending that sours a movie quite as badly as that one did.

I did a review on Fortress: AT, but to summarize: new Hulk film is fun and enjoyable for fans, not as good as Iron Man, plays it a little TOO safe. Enjoyable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't get to the supposedly terrible ending of the Ang Lee film. I had to turn it off after he fought the dogs and cried.

That Hulk movie was a great example of someone that made up characters and a big green monster and then just decided to call them Bruce Banner and The Incredible Hulk.

There are hundreds of comic book characters that get forgotten a year, yet the reason why this character has clung on is because there is something special about him. The real character was created in 1962 and had 40 years of trial and error in storytelling. They could have used any of the great runs on the series (they are practically storyboarded for them). But no, they have to reinvent a character that needs no reinventing.

I just can't understand why people just don't make up their own characters rather than spending money to buy the rights to characters that they aren't going to use.

They could have easily had a man transform into a giant red monster that smashed stuff occasionally and I might have even bought in to it despite the pathetic CGI, split-screens, weeping and backstory. Hell, Hulk in that movie looked more like Shrek than the Hulk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
They could have easily had a man transform into a giant red monster that smashed stuff occasionally and I might have even bought in to it despite the pathetic CGI, split-screens, weeping and backstory. Hell, Hulk in that movie looked more like Shrek than the Hulk.

Uhm... actually there is a red Hulk now too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, from Morgan's "hell, Hulk" to an obvious Hell-Hulk! Nice....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I really appreciated that aside from the cheesy cameo they gave Lou Ferrigno, they had him do the Hulk's lines. That was classy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.