Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an idea that I had which consist in making a new massively simplified game to make it available to almost anykind of players. This post contains no solid rules, just ideas I have. Here are the things I thought:

Playing Order

All players would play simultaneously except for the mobilisation. So it would somewhat speed up the game, and there won't be that "who's turn is it now" situation.

Playing Phase

First each players play his mobilise phase. During the mobilise, players are allowed to move units on their own planet as they want, including invading ennemy territories. But they can invade only another planet once in their turn. Each player does this mobilise phase once.

Second all players resolve all at the same time the build phase. Players build units for all their planets, then buy upgrades then build up new bases. Unit limit is applied to all the units built, so the supply depot becomes more important now. Normally in the original game, you always have 1 build order which is heavier than the others since many upgrades does no require localisation. So now by building everything at the same time, you can plan more easily your ressources.

Third, Phase is the technology phase, all players can research 1 technology they want. The result of technology will be different especially if the combat rules changes(look below).

Then there is the usual regrouping phase.

Event cards

Since all player get a technology phase, these cards might get drawn differently. Don't have any idea yet. I tought of removing them but I don't find them that much disturbing. The only heavy thing about it is that you can forget cards you have in play. The only problem might be that massively changing rules can make some event cards useless, so I'll have to check them out. But right now it does not seem so bad.

Victory points

To makes things simplier, I thought that if you ever control more VP than all your opponents combined together (not sure because 2P is too easy) at the end of your turn, you win the game. But VP won't be cumulative. So if you own 2 planets with 1VP, and the other player own 1 planet with 1 VP, you win. I tought that you could wait for stage 3 to arrive. Special victory would give you an extra point maybe. Destroying other players would give you 1 point.

Anyways, the idea is that I want to keep things simple and to get an high competivity. having a limited amount of points available will create the effect. I don't like cumulating points because it creates the sit-and-wait-and-win syndrome. But maybe there would be a way to work it out.

Ressource spending

Ressource spending is heavy but since the building and tech phase are player together at the end, it's easier to plan your production so it might play easier. I tought of removing workers, but I don't particularly like it. I know that the capturing and lost of ressource cards can be pretty annoying. Ressource depletion could also be done randomly. EX: Roll 1D < nb worker, during the regrouping phase, to deplete the ressource.

Tech Modules

If there is no order, that brings in the problem of what are tech module use for. Maybe you select a golden order and during that phase you get the benifit of a golden order. So if you have 2 tech module, you can say, I want a stronger mobilise and build. Technology oder might be changed for a rebate of 1 ressource with possibility to build a 2nd tech.

Combat

The first thing to change: remove combat cards. I like the concept of combat cards but it makes information analysis too heavy and makes combat resolution too long. I would probably use dices, but I need a system which can allow using all the special abilities.

Since I am not restricted by the combat cards anymore, the only restriction I have is The assist bonnus and air/round attack capabilities which I must keep in the combat system. I could also use the average values of the units. I would probably check ou the cards special text to give these units special abilities.

I am not sure exactly how it would work. I thought that you could either roll a die for each unit, or a die for each type of unit. Then, lets say a unit always hits on 4+, if you roll 4+ you would use it's combat strength to the battle (ex: kill an ennemy unit weaker than your attack strenght). Now for the technologies, I though that for example, marines can have Bunker while rolling 6, and steam pack when rolling 5. So if you roll 5, you hit, and additionnally you can use the effect of steam pack which is more attack and less defense. So buying tech change the effects of hitting your opponent.

For tech upgrade that changes stats, like improved carrier capacity, you would now hit on a 3+. Some native ability like reaver splash damage could be triggered if for example you roll a 6. And if you get the reaver increase capacity, you would hit on 3+ and a 3 trigger also a splash damage, but not a 4 or 5.

I thought that each special ability could be usable once per turn. The technology phase would replendish them.

So that's it for now. I don't know if there is really something else I could massively simplify. If I could get rid of even more exceptions in the game, it would be good. I'll probably solo play test it again to see the results on that one. But before play testing, I would need to define more precisely the combat system and make the combat charts.

I would eventually post the combat chart, maybe in this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like a lot of work, for what value, I am uncertain. I've played this with, (and lost to, I might add), 10-year olds. How much dumbing down is really necessary?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found a combat system which works well with dices. I'll give you a sample battle in this thread, feel free to comment.

First, each unit would have a chart on a card that is only pulled out during battles(so it does not take much space. Technologies will be marked on another chart with tokens. Some tech have limited use, for example increased carrier capacity has 3 uses. So you will place 3 tokens, and each time you use it, you remove a token.

Now, here are some sample unit charts based on the combat cards in the game. The number in the list indicate the number rolled. The number in parenthesis represent attack and defense. ex: (att/def).

Unit cards

Marine (5/5) default assist +1
1- Miss, Assist +1
2- Miss, Assist +1
3- Miss, Assist +1
Stim Pack: Hit, (7/3)
4- Hit
5- Hit, +1 vs Flying units
6- Hit
Bunker: Hit, defense +3 if base

OK, i'll give more information on that first card. The attack and defense value are (5/5) If you wish, whatever you roll, you can make a marine get the default assist which is +1. Now the number below change the effect of the unit according to the roll.

If for example, you roll 1, 2 ,3, you miss but you get the chance to give +1 assist to any other unit you like. If you roll a 3 and you have the Stim Pack technology, you could make your unit hit has a (7/3) instead of missing.

If you roll, 4, 5, 6 you hit, and you inflict the amount of damage equal to your unit's attack value (which is 5). If you roll 5, you would hit with a +1 bonus vs flying units, so your attack would be at 6. And if you rolled 6 and you had the bunker technology, the first marine to get killed would have it's defense increased by 3. So it will require 8 damage to kill the first marine.

I'll continue with the other units ( I made only 6 of them)

Firebat (6/5) default assist +1
1- Miss, Assist +1
2- Miss, Assist +1
3- Miss, Assist +1
Stim Pack: Hit, (8/3)
4- Hit
5- Hit, Limited ground splash damage (marine, zealot, zergling)
6- Hit

Ghost (5/5) default assist +1
1- Miss, Assist +1
Lockdown: Miss, Assist +1, Disable an ennemy vehicle.
2- Miss, Assist +1
Cloacking Field: Miss, Assist +1, unit gain cloaking.
3- Miss, Assist +1
Nuke: Miss, destroy 2 units after splash damage.
4- Hit
5- Hit, +1 vs Flying
6- Hit

Zealot (6/6) default assist +1
1- Miss, Assist +1
2- Miss, Assist +1
Shield battery: Miss, Assist +1, (6/8)
3- Miss, Assist +1
4- Hit
5- Hit
6- Hit

Dragoon (7/7) default assist +1
1- Miss, Assist +1
2- Miss, Assist +1
Shield battery: Miss, Assist +1, (7/9)
3- Miss, Assist +1
Singularity Charge: Miss, Assist +2
4- Hit
5- Hit, +1 vs Flying
6- Hit

Reaver (8/8) default assist +2
1- Miss, Assist +2
2- Miss, Assist +2
Shield battery: Miss, Assist +2, (8/10)
3- Miss, Assist +2
Increased Reaver capacity: Hit, (9/8), ground splash damage
4- Hit
5- Hit
6- Hit, ground splash damage

Battle Example

Here is an example of combat resolution.

1 Marine, 2 fire bat, 1 ghost VS 1 Dragoon, 1 reaver.

You roll 1 die for each unit in the battle. The placement of the units has special meaning. If the die is on the card, it mean it has not yet been resolved. If a unit is set on the side, or upside down, it mean it has been destroyed. When destroying units or using dices, they must remain in play so that we do not forget the results.

First round, here are the rolls

Marine : 6
Firebat, 2, 5
Ghost: 2
VS
Dragoon: 4
Reaver: 6

So we will resolve protoss first. The dragoon hit, and it has an attack strenght of 7, so it can kill any unit in play. I select a firebat as it's target. 1 fire bat is put on the side and the dragoon die is removed from the card. Then the reaver hit by rolling a 6. It has an attack strength of 8 so it can kill any unit in play. It will destroy another firebat and at then end of the round, splash damage is going to occur.

Note that attacking the marine would require a strength of 8 since he rolled 6 and the terran player had the bunker technology and is currently fighting in a base.

Now for terran. to kill the reaver he needs 8. This can be done in 2 ways. Either he take the fire bat that rolled 5 and add the ghost and fire bat assist bonus for a total of 8 (6+1+1) the last marine does not kill anything. By doing so, the fire bat would do a limited ground splash damage. But since there is no zealot in the battle it does not matter.

OR Either he takes the marine attack strength(5), add the fire bat and the ghost assist(+1 +1) and then downgrade the roll of the fire bat to give the default assist bonus which is +1. So you get 8 (5+1+1+1). So the reaver die anyways.

Now the reaver triggers splash damage. The defender can either take the marine or the ghost away. He will take the ghost, because since it rolled 2, the ghost get's cloaking. So it does not get destroyed and just need to withdraw undamaged. Which leaver marine VS dragoon.

Now a second battle round can start but, since marine only hit at 5, and dragoon have 7 defense, it might be impossible to kill. Unless he has stim pack technology. In this case, he could hope rolling 3 and killing the dragoon. The dragoon has half chances to miss. So he would probably be retreating with his ghost.

Notes

I am not sure if I should combine units strength together to kill more units, or 1 unit can only kill 1 unit. For example, could the reaver and the dragoon combine their power of 8 and 7 for a total of 15 and kill 1 marine + 2 firebat, or it would be too powerful.

For technologies that can be applied at any moment, ex "shield batteries", I find it a bit disapointing that the +2 defense bonus can only occur if you miss. Because in the original game, you could have used it in an offensive or defensive purpose. I tought of maybe triggering it on multiple places (ex: a 2 and a 4), but that increases the technology's probability to occur and make it too strong.

Another thing I need to consider is how racial abilities, regarding cards, would be replaced. For protoss, I though that they could re-roll any of their dices. Since they have few units, they are more fragile to bad luck. Re-rolling would help prevent this and it could be explained by their advanced technology( it works better).

I am thinking about it for the other race. I thought maybe of switch a die to a specific value if a hit stay as a hit and a miss stay as a miss. In that case, it would mean more chance to trigger special abilities or technologies. Ex: a ghost roll 3, but want to trigger cloaking field instead of nuke, he change it for a 2. They are both miss result, but the tech triggered is different.

Conclusion

If this combat system works, there won't be that much things left to do. The conversion of the unit to the system is pretty easy and it is almost the same for all units.

Else, there is the victory point system, which I could keep intact, and how the event cards are drawn. I tought like that you could draw cards according to VP ranking. From 2nd player to last.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tuxford
Australia
Wollongong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No disrepect to your hard work intended. In trying to make SCtBG 'Lite' your combat has become a massive set of tables and values.

Why not keep combat info on the playing cards? I find it's so much easier to include the plethora of variables (techs, reinforcements and assists).

Your system, when completed and fully tested and edited, looks like a magnum opus. I say this respectfully. But (forgive the use of the conjuction) it certainly isn't 'Lite'!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
No disrepect to your hard work intended. In trying to make SCtBG 'Lite' your combat has become a massive set of tables and values.

Why not keep combat info on the playing cards? I find it's so much easier to include the plethora of variables (techs, reinforcements and assists).

Your system, when completed and fully tested and edited, looks like a magnum opus. I say this respectfully. But (forgive the use of the conjuction) it certainly isn't 'Lite'!

OK, I was waiting for that reply.

First, I needed a combat system that would allow using all the technology and keep the relationship without units. So it had to get a minimum of complexity.

Second, there is a big difference between light/simple heavy/complex. The objective of starcraft lite is not to make star craft for dummies, or starcraft for kids. The goal is to reduce the amount of information processed by the brain during the game.

If you compare the Old combat system with the new one, you do not have any hand of cards to manage. I know that having the information direction on the cards makes it easier to play. In fact, I don't hate the mechanic. But there are other thing you must think about like the cards cycling, knowing that researching more technologies would reduce the odds to draw them, calculating in advance what could be the result of the battle, which are you are going to use when, calculating the odd of a card to show up considering what's in your discard pile, etc. In other words, the combat system could be a game in itself. While in the new combat system, you can try calculating the odds, but beside that you send your units and throw the dices then assign damage. There is not that much calculating in advance.

So by doing this, it reduce the amount of information to analyse and remember because you don't know yet what would be the "dice" result. Having a fixed set of phase also makes in easier to play because you don't have to calculate how your actions, and your friend action, are going to occur in order to again calculate the combat odd and the production ressource distribution, etc. So it's always calculate to calculate, I feal like I am doing math. Last time, I saw my friend using a pen and paper to start noting his actions and his ressource spending because there is just too much information to process at the same time to keep it in the brain.

It's like if you were the boss of a company where instead of delegating orders to the people under you, you had to plan the work of all the people in the company.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know almost all the rules right now. There is not that much modification, and many things would go unchanged. The main changes are the combat system with dice and no order tokens and the way even cards moves. The rest look almost the same. Also, most of the changes are modular which mean that if you want to keep the order tokens, change the combat, and keep the event cards as they are, you can do it. So you can lighten any aspect of the game you want.

OK Here are the rules modification.

Orders and Phases

The game consist of 4 phase were each of them have a series of step to do in order. Besides the mobilise phase which must be done 1 player at a time starting from the first player, all other pahses are done simultaneously.

Mobilise
Planet Invasion: Move any unit to any other territory on the same planet.
Space invasion: Select a target planet, move any units from adjacent planets connected by transport to 1 territory on that planet.
Resolve battles: Resolve each battle, one after another.

Build
Unit Production: Priduce military units up to the unit limit and place them on anyplanet where you have a base. Produce Transport and place them adjacent to a base. Produce workers.
Base upgrade: You Can build 1 base module and/or 1 building.
Build bases: You can build bases on any planet where you have units.

Technology
Research a technology: Place a token beside the technology you have researched on the technology chart. Use tokens of different colors if it's an expansable tech.
Draw Event: Draw 1 event card.

Regrouping phase (most of these phases are the same
- Destroy base and transport
- Lose ressource cards
- Gain ressource cards
- Retreive workers
- Gain conquest points
- Play event cards
- Check for victory
- Pass the first player token.
- Select special golden order for next turn.

Golden Orders

Before starting the turn, you can pick and amount of golden orders equal to the number of tech modules you have. You reveal them when everybody selected their tokens. You get the following bonus according to the phase.

Mobilise
+1 attack to all units for all battles.
Re-roll 2 dice in each battle.

Build
1 free ressource
Double unit limit

Technology
1 free ressource
Can research 2 technology

Drawing event cards

What makes you drawing extra event cards is doing less important stuff during certain phases.

Mobilise: If you do not perform any space invasion, draw 1 event card.

Build: If you only build military units, draw 1 event card.

Technology: If you research no technology, draw 1 event card.

Event cards system

The new event card system try to increase the number of turns the game last. The game does not end either by achiving 15 VP, instead, it ends if all 3 "the and draws near" cards are in play. The player with most VP wins.

The drawing and playing works as the usual. Exept that each stage of car is kept in seperate piles. All the non-played card are returned to the deck and reshuffled.

If there is not any more cards to draw, you do not pickup cards in the next stage. Instead, all other event drawing are ignored and at the unplayed event cards of the current stage are discarded. Now a new stage is about to start. The processe continue with the nex stage cards.

If a player do not want to play an even cards, he can discard a card from his hand which will not go bat in the event deck. THis could be usefull to reduce the number of stalling tactics cards in the stage III event deck.

Event cards changes

If you use the new phase and the new combat system, there following changes or adjustments might be required to the following event cards. Still, there are less changes that I have imagined:

light modifications (Which are generally obvious)

Technological Advance/breakthrough
You do not shuffle any combat cards since you do not have any.

Retreat
After the dices are rolled, before assigning damage, you can decide to retreat.

Flawless attack/defense plan
+2 bonus applies to all units in battle

Agressive/defensive strategy
You get 2 re-roll when attacking/ 2 re-roll when defending.

The end drawns near
You need 3 cards to end the game.

Serious modifications (Cards which did not make sense anymore)

Specialized strategy
You get 2 re-roll in all battles

Adaptive strategy
Your opponent can never force you to re-roll any dice in battles

Advanced reconnaissance
Re-roll any of your opponent's dice.

Preemptive/Unexpected action
Execute a mobilise, build or technology phase now/ Execute one of these phase as a golden order. If you build, you do not recover your workers. You just get the change to build before anybody else and get 2 build action in the same turn.

Combat System

The combat system has been explained in detail in the thread above, so I would only copy all the unit stats in the next post. Right know I might only add at 2 unit that hit can combine their attack to kill 1 stronget unit ( ex: 2 marine (5+5) vs 1 dragoon (7). And there might be a few technologies to powerup or powerdown, but the rest seems OK and the conversion to tables was pretty easy.

Components Required

There is less things that I though to add as physical components to apply the rule changes. Here is what would need:

Generic Tokens: Generic tokens to mark stuff on the technology chart. I generally allow up to 3/4 of an inch token which allow using glass beads, bingo hips or even pennies.

Combat charts/card: Each unit has a small chart probabliy the size of a card. So I need a chart for each unit type in the game in 2 copies since each race as 2 faction.

Technology Chart: Simly a list of the technology with a space besite each of them to place a token to indicate you have it. Limited use technology like "Improved carrier capacity" would have 3 space and each time you use it, you remove a token.

Event cards modification: If your cards are sleeved, I could make a small piece of paper that you could slide in your sleeve to note the rule changes. Else a small reference chart for event modifications could do since there is not that much modifications.

New Reference sheet: The current reference sheet is valid in many points. The average values are the same, the orders are executed in the order shown. There is just slight difference for the golden orders, there no special victory conditions and the event cards are drawn differently. So I could remake 1 side of the reference sheet, since the unit stats stay intact.

That's it, it's not that bad.

Notes

Playtest

Even cards: I have done some play test, a 6 player game would approximately last: stage I 4turns, stage II 4 turns, stage III 2 turns. In a 2 player game, the 2 first stage last shorter (1 or 2 turns) but the stage 3 last longer. This has been calculated using the cards ratio given in the rule book.

Other ideas

Cooperation in battles:Resolve battles in a separate phase to allow multiple players to participate in the same battle. It would allow some cooperation to attack or defend territories.

Racial Abilities

For racial abilities, I am still thinking about it. Still, zerg keep creep and terran keep base movement abilities. And by the way, why protoss does not have a 2nd ability.

The new abilities are there to replace combat abilities. Normal re-rolling would be given by many event or technology. So a simple reroll, does not count as special ability. What I though so far:

Protoss: For each die roll, roll 2D and keep the best of both.

Other ideas related to dice
- Increase or reduce the value of the dice by 1.
- Move the die to any value as long as miss and hit does not change.

Other ideas related damage assign
- Damage are totalised and asigned to multiple units allowing to kill more unit than the number you are using (but it reduce the value of splash damage)

Standard conversions

Drawing 1 extra combat cards = re-rolling 1 die in battle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the unit list stats. I decided to place it in a different post. Almost everythings has been almost directly converted from the cards. Right now there has been slight changes. For example, the terran ability to repair vehicle has been changed to:

1- Miss, Assist +1, If destroyed, can get repaired by spending 1 worker.

So if you roll 1 and that unit got destroyed, it can get back alive instead of just gaining 1 health if you spend a worker. The biggest problem was to use an ability in a reaction to a damage assign, so it's easier like that.

There might be some abilities or technology that I might change but I try to keep it as it is if possible. For example, some people said that in the original game, the dragoon "singularity charge" was pretty weak and useless. So instead of having 1/6 chance to benefit from it, I could improve it to 2/6 chance by triggering it also on a 6. The "Yamato gun" and "increased carrier capacity" have the sam effect except that the protoss tech has limited uses. So maybe I could give the protoss tech more chances to trigger by rolling maybe a 5. Another example is the arbiter (Why I am always taking protoss units):

5-Statis Field: Final Attack strength of all units are dropped to 0
6-Statis Field: Final Attack strength of all units are dropped to 0

The only use I can see to it is if you rolled really bad, of if your opponent rolled really good, you can ignore a round of battle. Not sure if it's that much useful.

Also the arbiter feels a bit empty as it is the case of some other units. Which kept me think that I have enought space to add even move technologies. So I was wondering, was there other technologies in the original video game not implemented in the board game (excluding the brood war expansion) that I could add to the game?

Some special technologies would have an icon to indicate that they trigger before or after targetting. For example, the ghost lockdown, would select which unit is paralysed first, and then the damage would be assigned. It will prevent the situation when you want to disable a unit that already assigned it's damage.

Another idea is that some people found that cloaking should be an offensive ability (trigger up an ambush) rather than a defensive ability. I agreed with that considering that you want to promote attack in order to bust any player camping on his planet. So cloaking would simply give the first strike ability. You assign the damage of these units before resolving the "before targetting" abilities. So a ghost with lockdown, would not be able to paralyse a unit with cloaking. The destroyed unit does not retaliate. What's even better is that this special cloaking rule is modular, you can use it or not and it does not change anything to the rules.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Finally, the unit stats. Enjoy!

Terran

Marine (5/5) default assist +1
1- Miss, Assist +1
2- Miss, Assist +1
Bunker: Miss, defense +3 if base
3- Miss, Assist +1
Stim Pack: Hit, (7/3)
4- Hit
5- Hit, +1 vs Flying units
6- Hit

Firebat (6/5) default assist +1
1- Miss, Assist +1
2- Miss, Assist +1
3- Miss, Assist +1
Stim Pack: Hit, (8/3)
4- Hit
5- Hit, Limited ground splash damage (marine, zealot, zergling)
6- Hit

Ghost (5/5) default assist +1
1- Miss, Assist +1
Lockdown: Miss, Assist +1, Vehicle lose ground/air attack.
2- Miss, Assist +1
3- Miss, Assist +1
4- Hit
Nuke: Miss, destroy 2 units after splash damage.
5- Hit, +1 vs Flying
6- Hit

Vulture (6/6) default assist +1
2- Miss, Assist +1
3- Miss, Assist +1
Spider Mines: Hit, (7/7), ground splash damage if no detector.
4- Hit
5- Hit, Limited ground splash damage (Marine, zealot, Zergling)
6- Hit

Goliath (7/7) default assist +1
2- Miss, Assist +1
3- Miss, Assist +1
4- Hit
5- Hit, +1 vs Flying
6- Hit, +1 vs Flying

Siege Tank (8/8) default assist +2
1- Miss, Assist +2, If destroyed, can get repaired by spending 1 worker.
2- Miss, Assist +2
3- Miss, Assist +2
Siege Mode: Hit, ground splash damage
4- Hit
5- Hit
6- Hit

Wraith (7/7) default assist +1
2- Miss, Assist +1
3- Miss, Assist +1
4- Hit
5- Hit, +1 vs Flying
6- Hit

Science Vessel (0/0) default assist +0
1- Detector
2- Detector
3- Detector
Irradiate: Assist +1, Special ground/flying splash damage (Humanoids and Zerg)
4- Detector
Irradiate: Assist +1, Special ground/flying splash damage (Humanoids and Zerg)
5- Detector
EMP Shockwave: Assist +3 vs Archon, +1 vs protoss. Cancel all ennemy effect except hit, and default assist
6- Detector
EMP Shockwave: Assist +3 vs Archon, +1 vs protoss. Cancel all ennemy effect except hit, and default assist

Any- Defense matrix: +1 health to all your units

Battlecruiser (8/8) default assist +2
1- Miss, Assist +2, If destroyed, can get repaired by spending 1 worker.
2- Miss, Assist +2
3- Miss, Assist +2
Yamato Gun: Hit, (10/9)
4- Hit
5- Hit
6- Hit

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Protoss

Zealot (6/6) default assist +1
1- Miss, Assist +1
2- Miss, Assist +1
Shield battery: Miss, Assist +1, defense +2 if base
3- Miss, Assist +1
4- Hit, (6/7)
5- Hit
6- Hit

Dragoon (7/7) default assist +1
1- Miss, Assist +1
2- Miss, Assist +1
3- Miss, Assist +1
Singularity Charge: Miss, Assist +2
4- Hit, (7/8)
5- Hit, +1 vs Flying
6- Hit

High Templar (0/0) default assist +0
1- Nothing
2- Nothing
3- Nothing
Psionic Storm: Assist +2, Detector, Ground/Flying Splash Damage
4- Nothing
Psionic Storm: Assist +2, Detector, Ground/Flying Splash Damage
5- Nothing
Hallucination: Force opponent to reroll some dice of your choice.
6- Nothing
Hallucination: Force opponent to reroll some dice of your choice.

Reaver (8/8) default assist +2
1- Miss, Assist +2
2- Miss, Assist +2
Shield battery: Miss, Assist +2, defense +2 if base
3- Miss, Assist +2
Increased Reaver capacity: Hit, (9/8), ground splash damage
4- Hit, (8/9)
5- Hit
6- Hit, ground splash damage

Archon (9/8) default assist +2
1- Miss, Assist +2
2- Miss, Assist +2
3- Miss, Assist +2
4- Hit, (9/9)
5- Hit, Ground/Flying Splash Damage
6- Hit, Ground/Flying Splash Damage

Scout (7/8) default assist +1
1- Miss, Assist +1
2- Miss, Assist +1
3- Miss, Assist +1
4- Hit, (7/9)
5- Hit, +1 vs Flying
6- Hit

Arbiter (0/0) default assist +0
1- Nothing
2- Nothing
3- Nothing
4- Nothing
5- Nothing
Statis Field: Final Attack strength of all units are dropped to 0
6- Nothing
Statis Field: Final Attack strength of all units are dropped to 0

Any- Cloaking field: All non-arbiter unit gain cloaking.

Carrier (8/8) default assist +2
1- Miss, Assist +2
2- Miss, Assist +2
3- Miss, Assist +2
Increased carrier capacity: Hit, (10/9)
4- Hit, (8/9)
5- Hit
6- Hit

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Zerg

Zergling (5/5) default assist +1
1- Miss, Assist +2
2- Miss, Assist +1
Improved Carapace: Hit, (5/6)
3- Miss, Assist +1
Burrow: Miss, Assist +1, Cloaking
4- Hit
Sunken Colony: Hit, +2 vs ground unit if base
5- Hit
6- Hit
Metabolic Boost: Hit, +2 health if can kill a unit.

Hydralisk (6/6) default assist +1
1- Miss, Assist +2
2- Miss, Assist +1
Improved Carapace: Hit, (6/7)
3- Miss, Assist +1
Burrow: Miss, Assist +1, Cloaking
4- Hit
5- Hit, +1 vs flying
6- Hit

Ultralisk (8/8) default support +2
1- Miss, Assist +3
2- Miss, Assist +2
Improved Carapace: Hit, (8/9)
3- Miss, Assist +2
Chitinous plating: Hit, (8/10)
4- Hit
5- Hit, (8/9)
6- Hit

Queen (0/0) Default support +0
1- Nothing
2- Nothing
3- Nothing
Spawn Brooding: Special Splash Damage (humanoid, zerg, ground vehicles)
4- Nothing
Spawn Brooding: Special Splash Damage (humanoid, zerg, ground vehicles)
5- Nothing
Ensnare: Detector, All ennemy assist is reduced to 0
6- Nothing
Ensnare: Detector, All ennemy assist is reduced to 0

Any- Parasite: Detector, Your opponent must re-roll all his dices

Defiler (0/0) default support +0
1- Nothing
Burrow: Get Cloaking
2- Nothing
Burrow: Get Cloaking
3- Nothing
Plague: Detector, Automatic ground/flying splash damage
4- Nothing
Plague: Detector, Automatic ground/flying splash damage
5- Nothing
Dark Swarm: No ground attack except Firebat, zergling, Ultralisk and Zealot.
6- Nothing
Dark Swarm: No ground attack except Firebat, zergling, Ultralisk and Zealot.

Any- Consume: Destroy 1 unit or worker to re-roll 3 dice except defiler dices.

Scourge (0/8) default assist +0
1- Assist +0
2- Assist +0
Improved Carapace: Hit, (0/9)
3- Assist +0
4- Hit, Instantly destoy a flying unit and itself
5- Hit, Instantly destoy a flying unit and itself
6- Hit, Instantly destoy a flying unit and itself

Mutalisk (7/7) default assist +1
1- Miss, Assist +2
2- Assist +1
Improved Carapace: Hit, (7/8)
3- Assist +1
4- Hit
5- Hit, Limited ground splash damage (Marine, zealot, Zergling)
6- Hit, Limited ground splash damage (Marine, zealot, Zergling)

Guardian (8/8) default assist +2
1- Miss, Assist +3
2- Assist +2
Improved Carapace: Hit, (8/9)
3- Assist +2
Improved Flyer Attack: Hit, (10/8)
4- Hit
5- Hit
6- Hit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Ziegler
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
with all that info, i'll just play normally :D starcraft is fine as it is in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks complicated, because I have dumped all the rules which must consider all possible exception. But in summary, you can use any combination of the 3 following rules:

A-Order and phase: Each players does a mobilise, build, technology, regrouping phase in the order listed.

B-Event cards: Reshuffle unplayed cards. Switch stage when no more cards from the current stage are left to draw.

C-Combat System: Roll 1D for each unit, check chart result and select a target.

And As I said, it's modular. So If you like rule A, but don't want to use B and C, it's your choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Stingley
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, you've put a lot of labor on this salvage attempt of Starcraft, good luck with the effort. I too have come to the conclusion that I'm going to make some changes to the game. Neither I nor the group I've played with have had experience with the computer game and my conversion of the rules will toss out the cards and utilize the other fantastic components for a more generic space based strategy game.... No really, I'll follow through this time and actually create a new set of rules write them down, playtest, create new components..... Actually those Combat Commander rules are looking rather enticing right about now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will have to change the combat chart since I screwed up the odd. In theory, when you buy a new tech you have approximately10% chance to draw 1 card but on 6 cards you have 45% chance. Since my combat cards were once on a d6, it droped to 16% chance. Here is how the combat charts were for the first playtest:

It shows all the possible outcome according to the die you rolled and the technologies you had. Still, one of my friend said to me that combat tables in these days appear less attractive or more complicated on the first look. So the solution would be to show only the modification and you always asume that you hit on a 4-6 and you give your assist bonus on 1-3. It gives the following charts:

It takes less space and it might be clearer for some people. I tought that I could supply both versions of the chart according to player's taste. I could make the cards smaller but I like this card size because it fits exactly in a card sleeve. No sealing to do.

Now, since the odds were bad, I decided to improve it to 2 face out of 6 for 33% chance. Yes 33# is less than 45% but the technology can always get triggered (Compared to used card which cannot reapear) and the ability can be trigerred more than twice (Compared to a maximum of 2 tech cards in the deck). The problem is that some abilities will now overlap. For the marine, it no big problem because he only has 3 abilities but for the Hydrolisk, some powerup can be combined. Here is what it could look like if I only list the modifications:

It's not a bad idea because in the previous rule some technologies like "Improved carapace" could only be used as assist. Now it can be used for assisting and attacking. But rolling a 6 triggers "Improved carapace", "Sunken Colony" and the +1 vs flying. So I could try to reorganise it like the original method to view all the combination, but that will take even more space than the original version making some cards having really small text.

The way you read the card is now a bit different, the line beside the die is the default result, if you have the technologies under the line you add or replace the content of the line.

Right now I am thinking about using the 3rd method. I will not post the PDF files on the internet right now because I want to test the new charts before submitting them. I am working on a game designer's wiki (because I design my own games too) which would also host game variants. I'll post a link when everything would be ready.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Authenticity With Video Game

I took some FAQ on GameFAQS to know what were the original video game technologies. There is a lot of difference.

Of course, the board game has made some abstractions. Like "Observers" assume that the tech is the necessary requirements to build them and the gas you need to pay is the cost to build and deploy them. So that you don't need any units on the board.

But there are other technologies like "Bunker" or "Shield Baterry" which are actually buildings. I think those "Technologies" would actually fit best as a module.

So a solution , that I am not sure if it worth it yet, is to recreate the upgrades available. There would be more modules, in 1 copy of each, and some different technologies. Since you can only buy 1 supply depot, probably the depot will increase the limit by 2. I might put the base unit limit to 3 instead of 2. Since there is only 1 tech module, golden order would be removed and the tech module will open more advanced technologies. There will be no limit to the number of tech research in a turn, only that more advanced technologies are not accessible without the tech module. Some modules could be loked too.

The problem is I am no sure if it worth it to redesign the technologies. One of the advantages is that probably all units will have power up. There would also some interesting results: Nuke would require the misile silo module and the ghost instead of just a technology.

Event cards ratio

I think by adding slightly more even cards to the deck, it balance more evently the number of cards per player especially for the stage 1 and stage 2 decks.

Nb of cards per player

6 Players: 11.60->11.6
5 Players: 12.00->12.4
4 Players: 12.50->13.5
3 Players: 13.33->15.33
2 Players: 15.00->19

So there is more cards per player in total. But It gets more interesting when comparing for the 2 first stage.

6 Players: 4.16->4.16
5 Players: 4.00->4.20
4 Players: 3.75->4.25
3 Players: 3.33->4.30
2 Players: 2.50->4.50

Here the average value are now almost the same what-ever the number of players. So I think I will stick to that.

So I would remove 4, 8, 12, 16 cards in the first and second stage instead of 5, 10, 15, 20.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have rearanged the unit stats and I placed the print outs on the internet on my wiki. Here is the link

http://ariel.bdeb.qc.ca/~ericp/cgi-bin/boardgame/index.php?n...

I will only post it on BGG once it's complete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.