Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guy Srinivasan
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a number of games on BSW now and there are a couple of things I consistently see people do that just don't make sense. Here are some general principles that take very little thought and might improve your game.

a) ACTIVATE TO GET TOOLS BEFORE RESOURCES. If you're buying a Civilization card with a tool or a dice bar (which might give you a tool) and already have the wood for it, please buy the card BEFORE gathering your resources. Why give up the use of a tool for no reason?

b) ACTIVATE FROM MOST TO LEAST EXPENSIVE. Say you have 1 tool and have placed a few people on gold and a few on wood. Please don't gather wood first unless you know you *have* to get at least 3 wood, or something. In general, gather the most useful items first, because you'd rather use your tool on those than on common items. So unless you're tight on something, gather gold, then stone, then clay, then wood, then food.

c) GATHER ONE TO TWO RESOURCES TYPES PER TURN. Don't try to gather more than 2 types of resource on any given turn, if you can help it. No, not even if you have lots of tools. Your average waste per meeple goes down the fewer types of resources you try to gather per turn. Unless of course you know you're losing and it's near the end of the game, in which case by all means gather all the resources at once and pray.

d) WITH LOTS OF TOOLS, PLACE 2+ WORKERS ON CLAY OR STONE. A lone worker here is just inefficient tool usage unless you have no other choice. The needed pips for next bar (i.e. number of tools needed) for food, wood, and gold are always a uniform random pick from 0-1, 0-2, and 0-5. But for clay a lone worker needs 2-3 more pips twice as often as 1-2 more pips. And for stone a lone worker needs 4 more pips twice as often as any of 1-3 more pips. So if you have a bunch of tools and are placing on two different resources (or more than two), make sure to place at least 2 workers on clay or stone rather than just 1 worker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't agree with C...

While not a frequent occurence, there are several different instances where you might want to gather three different resource types in a turn - and the "average waste per meeple" is almost negligible between 2 and 3 resources. Especially if you have plenty of tools - that's one of the benefits plenty of tools gives you!

Other than that, great advice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Srinivasan
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost - if you have several types of tools, then the waste going from 2 to 3 is negligible. If you have, e.g. 4 tools of size 2, then the waste is still significant. And if you're deciding on a third resource which happens to be food, that's fine too. But in general, unless you're going to actually do the math, keep it to 2 types of resource per turn if possible.

But yes, if you have a set of tools like 1,1,2,2,3 then Gold, Wood, Food all at once is a fine choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GreedyAlgorithm wrote:
Almost - if you have several types of tools, then the waste going from 2 to 3 is negligible. If you have, e.g. 4 tools of size 2, then the waste is still significant.

But yes, if you have a set of tools like 1,1,2,2,3 then Gold, Wood, Food all at once is a fine choice.

Eh? You only have 3 tool spots max. You can't have 4 twos, after 2,2,2 comes 3,2,2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett Scheer
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
GreedyAlgorithm wrote:
Almost - if you have several types of tools, then the waste going from 2 to 3 is negligible. If you have, e.g. 4 tools of size 2, then the waste is still significant.

Eh? You only have 3 tool spots max. You can't have 4 twos, after 2,2,2 comes 3,2,2.

unless you count one time use tools from cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True enough, wasn't thinking about those.

To me, one time use tools are "break only in case of emergency" cards. I always save them as insurance policies for when a "must have" situation comes up, and I don't get the roll. I'll never use one to change a 2 wood roll into 3, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.