Subject: Feels like a simulation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larz Welo
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
No more stones. No more spears. No more slings. No more swords. No more weapons! NO MORE SYSTEMS!
badge
You can fire your arrows from the Tower of Babel, but you can never strike God!
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend and I played the Third Crusade for three turns. In those turns, my forces under Saladin had defeated multiple crusader forces, broken the seige at Acre, inflicted some serious casualties on the Crusaders, suffered very little in losses in comparison, won may small fleet engagements, nearly taken teh Krak de Chevaliers, and drive Philip of France's army away from Jerusalem.

My friend capitulated because he felt that there was no hope of victory. Richard was still coming, but he was stuck in Cyprus and afraid my fleet would sink him before he could go anywhere else. It just kind of felt like he was sitting there waiting for me to come and smash him.

I am willing to put some of the blame on him. And, I got some pretty good roles as well. But do the Crusaders usually just get whupped, or did he just play poorly? It felt a great deal more like a historical simulation and less like a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dunne
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, SPI does stand for Simulation Publications Inc., after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hitchens
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played and won as the Crusaders. Was a long time ago, so I don't remember the details
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I wouldn't draw a lot of confusions from playing 3 turns of 1 game.

I have an old game called "Sinai", about the 1967 Arab-Israeli war. In real life, of course, the Israelis trounced the Arabs in that war, and the victory conditions of that game are designed to say that the Arab player is declared the winner if he is simply massacred less badly than the Arabs lost in real life. Basically the Arabs "win" if they just delay Israeli victory for a few days.

I once played as the Arabs against my friend Chris playing the Israelis. As the Egyptian army rolled through the Negev cutting Israeli supply lines to the bulk of their army, and Jordanians marched into Tel Aviv, Chris surrendered. He just made a few big blunders early on got a result very different from the way the game usually turns out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.