Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carlos Robledo
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Click my Extended Stats user Microbadge!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can read the rest of our story here:

Session 1: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/316472
Session 2: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/317878
Session 3: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/318068

----- Session 4 -----

After a week or so, time to play again. Here is the current status:

Myself - The Sorcerer King, doing the eternal night plot, Upgrades: Snipers, A. and M. Farrow, Silver Eldritch

Sam - Playing Tahlia with Brawler
Steven - Playing Ronan of the Wild with Lucky, +2 Black dice
Anthony - Playing Runemaster Thorn with Fire Pact, +1 Black dice, +1 Silver dice
Tony - Playing Kirga with Born to the Bow, +2 Black dice

Current conquest: Heroes 62; Overlord - 50

Week 6

I grow my power and let Alric continue to siege Dawnsmoor, almost there. As my upgrade I buy "Focused", allowing me to trim my overlord deck and to ditch lame cards I never use (I think I dumped gust of winds and some kobold spawn cards).

The party decides to go into Blackwing Swamp, which will give them enough time to get to Dawnsmoor before Aldric can siege it. They finally do not have an encounter on the way, and descend to level 1...

Level 1 - Trial by Fire

A level with 3 major areas; the first was guarded by a named hellhound, the second by a named dragon, and the last by a named demon. They are all dungeon leaders, so that means tons of xp for the heroes if I don't get some kills in. The party pretty much wipes the floor with the hellhound and dragon, but that gives me the chance to bring in my pumped up silver demon and do some damage. After a round of not being able to even penetrate the demon's armor, they do the sensible thing and flee the dungeon. I get my one kill shot on Tahlia, who was holding up the demon while the others fled.

The heroes are now back in Tamalir and decide to purchase the grand bazaar for the city.

Conquest total this week: Heroes - 5; Overlord - 5
Total conquest: Heroes 67; Overlord - 55

Week 7

I get my normal weekly XP, and buy some Trap Treachery to help me deal with the heavy armored heroes. Alric now has 4 siege tokens on Dawnsmoor and will get to attempt to raze the city next week if the heroes don't get him this week. Merrick is almost to my Keep with the first scroll.

The party heads west into Dawnsmoor, and have an encounter!

Encounter - A silent raid

The heroes are ambushed by some ferrox and a naga. The location allowed me to act before the heroes. The leader, a master ferrox whose attacks give 2 bleed tokens, starts to charge in and get some bleed on Tahlia who was keeping guard, and I also send the naga in to grapple her. Ronan wakes up immediately and starts to deal some damage on the ferrox.

The heroes have little trouble getting through the ferrox after they are all awake. I manage to swarm Kirga and stack some bleed tokens, as well as on Thorn. Before the encounter is over, I killed Kirga once and left Thorn with one one wound left! Unfortunately, Thorn went to face the last ferrox and used his blast spell to kill himself in order to be fully healed when they faced Alric. Tahlia and Ronan finish the encounter, Kirga and Thorn come back from town and move into Dawnsmoor.

Here we have a little debate. The rulebook is not clear whether the heroes have to fight the lieutenant before visiting the city. We go with as literal as we can, and agree that the rules imply that facing lieutenants is the last thing heroes can do in a turn. They heal up and go to the market as well as grabbing a rumor card. They place the rumor at Red Echo River. After they are all ready, its time for Alric!

Encounter - Lt. Alric Farrow

Time to face their first lieutenant. To be brutally honest, I was pretty worried from the get go. Alric was going to get blown to pieces if I was not careful and I had him ready to flee at a moment's notice. During the fight, I concentrate on reinforcing sorcerers into the fight to blast from afar. Unfortunately, the location was the tranquil lake, where the large pool template is used, giving their heavy ranged party an advantage.

I kept Alric in the trees to protect him from the ranged characters, and only moved him out when he could melee someone (usually Tahlia) and move back to cover. This kept going on for a few rounds, until they were all able to reach Alric on the same turn (miscalculation on my part). They all get some damage in, and with power potions they were able to bring me down in one turn, all 30 life! I should have fled earlier...

After my horrible defeat, I find myself with less options than before. I hope Merrick fares better than his brother...

Conquest total this week: Heroes - 6; Overlord - 6
Total Conquest: Heroes - 73; Overlord - 61

Week 8

Short week. I get my normal XP and bring in Krieg to replace Alric while Merrick drops off the Scroll. Krieg starts to move east.

The party decides to stay and train in Dawnsmoor. Kirga and Thorn go to the market, while Tahlia and Ronan train. Tahlia picks up Taunt angry and Ronan Appraiser. Like these guys need better treasure!

Conquest total this week: Heroes - 0; Overlord - 1
Total Conquest: Heroes - 73; Overlord - 62

Week 9

Another short week. I grow my power and move both my lieutenants east again. I don't buy any upgrades so I can start saving for monster upgrades when we hit silver level. The party heads back to Tamalir, but have an encounter on the way.

Encounter - The Red Necromancer

This encounter was shaping up to be great! A named sorcerer, and 6 regular skeletons and 2 masters, and I was able to reinforce more skeletons. Unfortunately, (another mistake here) every single person in the party takes a run action and blows their fatigue to flee on the first turn... Oh well... They get to Tamalir, visit the market and alchemist.

Conquest total this week: Heroes - 0; Overlord - 1
Total Conquest: Heroes - 73; Overlord - 64

Week 10

I again don't buy any upgrades and move the two Lts east some more. Krieg is now at Moonglow Marsh. Heroes decide to tackle the rumor location. No encounter! Time to go in and hope for another level with lots of eldritch...

Level 1 - The Gauntlet

This level is pretty basic. A "U" shape dungeon with some normal monsters, the leader is a master beastman with extra wounds and armor. I can't say much here... the heroes mostly plow through my Dark Priests and Skeletons and make short work of my beastman. They do down to level two...

Level 2 - The Bridge of Death

This level seems more promising again. The pits on this level are deadly, and the master razorwing serving as the leader has the chance on to get knockback when attacking. I also decide to go for the Golem minion, upgraded to a master thanks to a Brilliant Commander power card; though I know they are weaker in general for a silver eldritch his high armor was going to be tough for the heroes to penetrate. With some sorcerers and razorwings, I take Kirga down!

The heroes decide to kill the golem anyway (I am using him to block them from the treasure chest and gold pile in this level). They are dealing about one or two damage a turn to it, which lets me run though my overlord deck decently easy. They eventually kill the golem and the level leader, and we have to call it a night. Will pick up next time on the rumor level!

Conquest this week up to now: Heroes - 11; Overlord - 7

Next session here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/2440815

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Robledo
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a few things that I want to run through you guys and hear some opinions on:

1. Since we are getting close to silver, I have started to save up for monster upgrades so I can upgrade as soon as we change. My question is, should I go for gold eldritch first or upgrade beasts and humanoids to silver? I am currently leaning towards getting all monsters to silver first, then eldritch to gold.

2. I have heard mixed feedback about the avatar upgrade that gives blast 1 to sorcerers. Should I bother with it at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Allen
United States
Humble
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I would say autoupgrade eldritch to gold, and then go for humanoids silver. Silver humanoids can take a load of damage, and it seems that your heroes are dishing it out. Master Beastman's command is always a great feature, and humanoids are pretty prevalent in dungeons.

2) I have not used the Blast 1 sorcerers, but I guess it depends on if your heroes clump or not. If they have been holding a tight formation it may be useful, but if your tank is running ahead and engaging a bunch of monsters (who now has taunt and requires you to attack her), it may be hard to prevent friendly fire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel GOUSSET
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fleeing party are not allowed to do any action at Tamalir... Week 7 and 9 the heroes shouldn't have been allowed to buy/visit.

And Gauntlet is not straightforward as the leader can open the runic door and go around the heroes if they dont let a rearguard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Robledo
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On week 7 they fled a dungeon and ended on Tamalir. The only thing they bought was the market upgrade. According to the rulebook heroes are allowed to purchase upgrades for Tamalir when they end their week there.

On week 9 they were actually walking to Tamalir and fled an encounter. When the party flees an encounter, they continue their week as normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Consky
msg tools
crobledo wrote:
I have a few things that I want to run through you guys and hear some opinions on:

1. Since we are getting close to silver, I have started to save up for monster upgrades so I can upgrade as soon as we change. My question is, should I go for gold eldritch first or upgrade beasts and humanoids to silver? I am currently leaning towards getting all monsters to silver first, then eldritch to gold.

2. I have heard mixed feedback about the avatar upgrade that gives blast 1 to sorcerers. Should I bother with it at all?

Sounds like you've got some smart players there. And don't feel bad about having lost Alric. I did the same. I'm finding my lieutenants have a hard time defending themselves. I'm playing the Beastman Lord and have a bunch of monster treachery, so my lieutenants have all sorts of other minions about. I've still not come close to doing serious damage to the heroes.

Anyway, having one gold monster type is better than having two silvers. It really changes the flavour of those encounters. Your heroes are dishing out damage, so the increased health makes all the difference. Even my normal kobolds sometimes take two hits for them to kill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.