7 Posts

Tichu» Forums » General

Subject: History of Tichu rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is tichu a recent game or something that has been around for a long time (decands or centuries?).

The last printing says something about 600+ Million chinese playing it but I work with a lot fo chinese americans and none of them ever heard of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fehr
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hi there! Follow my gaming exploits on Twitter (fehrmeister)
mbmbmbmbmb
I wondered the same thing.

See this thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/294311

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Spring is upon us and baseball is back! Lets go Mets!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tichu was derived from a Chinese game that has been around for at least 30 years and possibly much more than that. But I haven't been able to find any source that estimates how old it might be.

The source game is called Zheng Shangyou, which can be translated as "struggling upstream". The Western world was made aware of it in 1979, during a visit to China by some British Go players. Zheng Shangyou is a climbing game, so players must play a card combination of the same type as the leader, but higher ranked. However, points aren't scored by winning cards, but only for going out first. It can be played solo or with partners. There are a number of other differences, but it would certainly be recognizable to any Tichu player.

There is a related Chinese game called Zheng Fen, which has point scoring cards identical to Tichu's. Interestingly, the types of card combinations that can be made in this game seem very similar to the ones in the commercial game Gang of Four (which has yet another way of scoring points, namely the number of cards left in your hand).

As far as I can tell, Tichu designer Urs Hostettler took a number of concepts from several Chinese games and possibly added a few of his own to come up with Tichu. So he deserves credit for creating the game that we know and love. But the games it was derived from have been played for quite a while--I just don't know how far back they go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard that the Pirates involved in the Cartagena prison break used to play it all the time ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are Zheng Shangyou or Zheng Fen the same as Big Two?

My asian friends were familiar with Big Two - Tichu was quite easy for them to learn as a result.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kandell
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zhen Shangyou seems to be the origin of all the climbing games, including Big Two and Tichu. Big Two seems to be considered "lighter" and "more accessable" to real card fiends; they prefer Tichu. Tichu has more in common with Zhen Fen, in the tricks and card scoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
Concepts like the climbing cards and the bomb are definitely derived from Zheng Shang You. The 4 special cards replace the 4 jokers in the Chinese game (in the Chinese game, the 4 jokers all play a role similar to the Dragon). There are close to infinite card games in China, because each different region (or even village!) has its own variants, its own games, and refers to them by different titles. I am more familiar with northern Chinese card games. The 5-10-K scoring system is present in many different Chinese card games, and almost always in any Chinese card game that involves scoring (most Chinese card games just have the winner go out first).

The concept of 2v2 is much rarer in Chinese card games, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.