Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
You could be playing.
badge
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?
mbmbmbmbmb

Despite several attacks on their home planet, the Strogg always seem to Survive.

The world headquarters for the Complete Removal of the Unstoppable Strogg Homeworld (CRUSH) in Portland, Maine has recently finished analyzing the data from Operation Overlord and is prepared to launch their next offensive when, the unthinkable occurs.

A Strogg ship has crashlanded in the ocean off the coast of Maine! The wreckage is brought to CRUSH. Once inside the reinforced, military style CRUSH warehouse, the debris haulers begin to hear mechanical sounds and moans from within. The team which had been assembled for the next assault on the Strogg homeland is sent in to investigate.

The team is sent in with a weeks worth of rations, and is each given a secret pass code. Their orders are to eliminate any threat the ship contains. They are to use their pass code to unlock the doors to the warehouse ONLY when any threat the ship may contain has been eliminated. They are informed that they are expendable and that if the threat has not been eliminated within 1 weeks time the warehouse and everyone inside will be destroyed.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

As the team approaches the ship the noises inside can be heard clearly, the vets move slowly and carefully, doublechecking their gear, weapons, gasmasks, etc. The greener marines are anxious to get their first look at a Strogg ship. One walks right up to to hatch and presses his ear to to it.

"Holy Shit, he exclaims! That's not Strogg in there, it's other marines! POWs. Escapees from the Strogg torture facilities. We gotta get 'em outta there."

"Careful," A grizzled old vet cautions. The Strogg have been working on blending their genetics and ours from day 1, just because it sounds like us from inside a mashed up wreck doesn't mean it's safe."

A muffled voice comes from inside the cockpit, "Help us . . . kill us . . . oh please just stop the pain . . . *whirr - clank - clank - whirr*

The young marine shouts, "I'm getting you out of there!"

"Don't do it," the old vet cautions.

The muffled voice returns, "Is there someone out there . . . I can't hear you . . . please help us"

"Oh fuck this, they're dying!" The young marine pulls off his mask to make himself better heard in the ship. "I hear you, I'm coming for y-"

BOOM!

The hatch explodes open. A thick gas fills the room. The masks do little to stop the effects of this potent, Strogg bioweapon. Disorientation and hallucinations are almost immediate. Gear appears to blend into bodies. Masks begin to look like tentacles, weapons appear to fuse to arms, everyone looks like a Strogg. What's worse is the blast seems to have shorted the radios, without comlinks or reliable vision it will be tough to tell friend from foe. When the fog clears, one thing is certain; there are a whole lot more of you now than there were before that hatch exploded.

The Team (Good)
1 Seer (The true seer views a player each night to see if that player is a Strogg or Not Strogg - gets a random negative N0 view)

1 Hunter (If the last two players alive are a wolf (Strogg) and a hunter, the hunter defeats evil parity and achieves a win for the good team)

2 Masons (Masons have the ability to chat with each other)

5 Villagers
(The most common vanilla role without attributes or abilities)

The Invaders (Evil)
2 Werewolves (The werewolf can chat with all other werewolves and together they can kill one player each night - counts for parity)

1 Sorcerer (The sorcerer views a player each night to see if that player is a seer/not seer - does not count for parity - gets a random negative N0 view)

1 Wolf Cub (The Wolf Cub will be promoted to Werewolf when one of the original Werewolves is killed - Will count for parity and be added to wolfchat AFTER promotion - If viewed by the seer BEFORE promotion, seer will receive a result of 'not wolf')

Team Good (A Closer Look)
Bitterman (Seer)
Bitterman has faced the Strogg before. He knows their tricks and will have less difficulty distinguishing them than the others.

Sarge (Hunter)
Sarge is an expert marksman. He is the top ranked in deathmatch battle sims and his prowess has been field tested as well. Generally, if a marine has to go head to head with a single Strogg that marine had better be real lucky to survive. Sarge doesn't need luck.

Wrack and Ranger (Masons)
Farthest away from the blast, Wrack and Ranger still have their comlinks. The gas has affected them as much as anyone but at least they are certain or each other's identities.

Green Marines (Villagers) x5
These Marines did well in training exercises and were hand picked for their first real mission for being the best of the Greens. This may be more than they bargained for. Survival almost certainly means a promotion in rank.

Team Evil (A Closer Look)
Strogg (Werewolves) x 2
The Strogg are a warlike cybernetic race, infamous for the systematic replacement of their ranks with prisoners of war and the modification of their bodies with mechanical weaponry and prosthetics. Their "crash landing" Near CRUSH was no accident - it was a plan devised to take out the biggest military threat to them first. Now that they have the strongest opposition confused and disoriented, they plan to take them out one by one.

Orbb (Sorcerer)
This Strogg is essentially just a giant Eyeball on legs. Sure that makes it hard for him to fight, but this is just the right element for him. He can identify the biggest threats while the more mechanically enhanced Strogg can destroy them.

Mutant Marine (Wolf Cub)
This dumb greenie is the one who insisted on opening the ship. He was the only one not wearing his mask when the gas came out. He is experiencing the muation effects of the gas as well as the disorientation experienced by others. Soon he will just be one of 'them'

Official Stuff
Times:
This game will have a lynch time of 9am
Night Orders will be due by 10am
These times are BGG Time - that is CST

Ties:
Longest Held Last Vote will be used to break ties.

Talking:
Do this. Werewolf is a social game. It needs your contributions to be successful and fun.
Exception: death. Don't talk when you are dead. Dead people don't talk unless they are in an M. Night Shyamalan movie. This game is NOT and M. Night Shyamalan movie (though I think someone should consider doing one of those)

This game will begin when full, the first lynch will be on Monday June 23, 2008. If this fills up quickly, that will mean an extended D1. It will not run over the weekends (with the exception of said extended D1)

Got Questions? I am here to answer them.

First time playing but are excited about the theme? Join up! I will be available in modchat to answer your questions privately!

Finally, this is my very first time modding a game. Please bear with me as I bumble my way through it

edited for spelling, clarity, mathematical accuracy, and general truthiness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassandra Project
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Quake: Space Marines vs. Strogg
Player List According to Cassandra:
Brukh4lian
catfood
Doscho
greek2me
GrimJester
jmilum
Luthrin
Noash
paralax1630
riot
saco gamer
zaloth
_SelenA_

13 players are signed up.

To sign up for this game go to
http://www.thecassandraproject.org/jeremy/werewolf/game/3211...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dawn
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Hi! I'm SelenA. Please don't kill me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just signed up on Cassandra.

*drools*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waffles? Arooo!
United Kingdom
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Myeh, lynch time is 1am my time, but sod it, Karmic's actually frigging MODDING a game!!!!!!

Btw: Hope you had a nice holiday Sel and Karmic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waffles? Arooo!
United Kingdom
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yo, Karmic, it says it's a 13 player game, but you've got:

1 seer +
1 hunter +
2 masons +
6 villagers +

2 wolves +
1 sorceror +
1 wolf cub

= 14 roles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dawn
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luthrin wrote:
Myeh, lynch time is 1am my time, but sod it, Karmic's actually frigging MODDING a game!!!!!!

Who goes to bed before 1am anyway?

and Thanks! It was awesome and way too short.
Are you recovered form your exams?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
You could be playing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luthrin wrote:
Yo, Karmic, it says it's a 13 player game, but you've got:

1 seer +
1 hunter +
2 masons +
6 villagers +

2 wolves +
1 sorceror +
1 wolf cub

= 14 roles?

fixed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waffles? Arooo!
United Kingdom
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmb
_SelenA_ wrote:
Luthrin wrote:

Who goes to bed before 1am anyway?

and Thanks! It was awesome and way too short.
Are you recovered form your exams?

Yeah, I'm ok at the moment. At least, until I find out my results anyway

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Stryker
United States
flag msg tools
Luthrin wrote:

If your going to be playing this at one, you could certainly stay up another hour for mine!

Jk..I would suck at modding so its just automod, so don't bother. However, selena and karmic...would be nice to have you there ;)

11p evening automod.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dawn
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brukh4lian wrote:

If your going to be playing this at one, you could certainly stay up another hour for mine!

Jk..I would suck at modding so its just automod, so don't bother. However, selena and karmic...would be nice to have you there

11p evening automod.

Yeah, miming a game probably wouldn't work out

But really, Thanks for the invite, but I need all my attention focused on finding these pesky stroggs.

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
You could be playing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brukh4lian wrote:
Luthrin wrote:

Jk..I would suck at modding so its just automod, so don't bother. However, selena and karmic...would be nice to have you there

11p evening automod.

Do you talk in the games you automod yourself?

Honestly, I would join but since I will be actually modding this game while the lynch in that game is going on I am going to have to sit it out.
Sorry Dude - erm . . . Sry d00d!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
You could be playing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
_SelenA_ wrote:
Brukh4lian wrote:

11p evening automod.

Yeah, miming a game probably wouldn't work out

But really, Thanks for the invite, but I need all my attention focused on finding these pesky stroggs.

ninja

oooooh 2 silence related burns within minutes

Ahem.

okay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Stryker
United States
flag msg tools
Karmic_devil wrote:
_SelenA_ wrote:
Brukh4lian wrote:

Jk..I would suck at modding so its just automod, so don't bother. However, selena and karmic...would be nice to have you there ;)

11p evening automod.

Yeah, miming a game probably wouldn't work out :p

:ninja:

oooooh 2 silence related burns within minutes

Ahem.

okay.

Next game I play with you I am killing you somehow.

FYI

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dawn
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luthrin wrote:

Yeah, I'm ok at the moment. At least, until I find out my results anyway

Positive visualization!

I hope you aced them! I think most people think they do worse than they actually do anywho...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
You could be playing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brukh4lian wrote:
Next game I play with you I am killing you somehow.

FYI

lol - I don't doubt it.
this game however - I have

Phenomenal Cosmic Powers!!!

so don't mess around foo' cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dawn
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karmic_devil wrote:

lol - I don't doubt it.
this game however - I have

Phenomenal Cosmic Powers!!!

so don't mess around foo' cool

If so, will you use your powers for evil or for awesome?

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
You could be playing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a handy bit of info about the game.

Blatantly plagiarized from Grim Jester. Thanks Grim!

What is Werewolf?

Werewolf is a game of conversations, accusations, lying, psychology, mob hysteria, and deductive reasoning. In face-to-face play, it is a great game for large groups as it requires no equipment and is quick to teach.

There are many ways to play Werewolf. Here on BGG it has become very sophisticated and there are lots of fascinating and complex games available.

This one is relatively easy and has quite possibly the coolest theme in he history of BGG

The Rules

Contents

Overview of Play
Victory Conditions
Sequence of Play
Roles
Cassandra
Other Stuff

Overview of Play

Werewolf is a team game. Two teams - the village ("good") and the werewolves ("evil") - are trying to eliminate the other.

Each player is given a secret role. In this game, it will be villager, seer, or werewolf.

There are two phases: Day and Night. The Day/Night cycle is 24 hours of real time (mostly Day).

During Day, discussion is held and votes are cast. Whoever has the most votes at Dusk gets lynched and is out of the game. Night follows.

During Night, secret orders are given. The werewolves eat (kill) a player and the seer checks (views) a player for wolfishness.

At Dawn, the eaten player is revealed and is out of the game. Then the next Day starts.

This continues until one team wins.

Victory Conditions

There is no individual victory. You win if your team wins, whether you survive or not.

The village/good team wins if:
V1. both wolves are dead.

The werewolf/evil team wins if:
W1. the number of living werewolves equals or exceeds the number of living village team players (aka achieving parity). Two living werewolves wins against 0-2 living good guys. One living werewolf wins against 0-1 living good guy.

Sequence of Play

The sequence is: Dawn, Day, Dusk, Night. Each cycle is one real day (24 hours) except that weekends don't count (no lynches on Saturday or Sunday).

Dawn: The Dead

At Dawn, the mod will describe the grisly scene - who was killed in the night. All vote tallies are reset (to zero).

Day: Discussion

The Day is the main phase. Discussion and voting occurs.

Every Day the group discovers another victim dead (the first is your friendly mod). All players - including the human-form werewolves - discuss their suspicions, make accusations, and sooner or later vote to lynch someone.

Voting

(If "Cassandra" is automatically tallying votes, another post below will contain rules for voting; this section somewhat duplicates that)

Votes are cast like this, using the players usernames, enclosed in brackets and in boldface (the [ b ] tags, without spaces):

[vote GrimJester]

Someone will get lynched every day.

Ties will be broken using the Longest held last vote method.

Dusk: The Lynch

Dusk is the deadline for votes. Dusk is 9am BGG time (Central, USA). Votes with a timestamp of 9:01am or later will not count.

The player with the most votes is lynched/killed (mob justice) and their role is revealed in a death scene posted by the mod. They are dead, out of the game, and can post no more until the game is over.

Night: Killing and other things

Every Night, the wolves secretly decide on one player to kill (the wolves communicate by PMs or with Cassandra Chat, see below). Also every night, the seer gets to secretly look for wolves. Each Night is a few hours and ends at Dawn, the deadline for submitting night orders is 10am BGG time. Shortly after Dawn, the village learns who was killed overnight. That player is likewise dead and is out of the game.

Roles

Each player gets a secret role. They are assigned randomly by the mod and sent to each player via PM (Cassandra Chat) before the game starts. The role is known only to the player and the moderator. During the game a player may claim to be anything they want.

Cassandra

Cassandra is a tool that helps the game run. She tallies the vote automatically and enables the wolves to chat secretly. The Cassandra page is here:

http://www.thecassandraproject.org/jeremy/werewolf/

The wolves have their own chat room which they can use to communicate secretly, make plans, and decide who to eat/kill at night. That is accessed via the "Cassandra Communications System" - a direct link is provide above in the first post.

Some Other Stuff

Frequent Questions

Q: What is BGG time?
A: Central Time Zone (BGG servers are in Texas). All posts have a time
stamp which is BGG time. It's UTC-6 in summer, UTC-7 in winter. Note that the players may be in different timezones.

Q: Is this a roleplaying game?
A: Not exactly.

Q: Is it ok to role-play?
A: This mod says "sure!". It depends on the modplayers. Generally: Sometimes it's encouraged, sometimes not. If it is expected then that should be pointed out. Usually it's ok. Usually it's not required. It can be confusing for some players. Some players may hold it against you or use it against you, especially if you do it "a lot".

Q: Is "newbie" an insult?
A: No, not in my book.

Lingo, Acronyms

BGG: BoardGameGeek.com (hope you knew this one)
PM: "private message" (GeekMail)
mod: moderator, the person running the game (me!)
random vote: usually arbitrary, just to get discussion going.
meta: outside this game, for example "last time, you were a wolf, so I
think you're a wolf now"
lurk: not posting enough (opinions vary). If everyone lurks it isn't much fun.
OOC: out of context (or out of character), usually something outside this game
RL: real life
name: generally people's usernames are used, not their real names.

Advice

Have fun. It's a game.
Don't let yourself be offended.
Just play, you'll learn as you go.
Questions? Ask publicly in thread, or ask the moderator privately via PM or Cassandra Chat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dawn
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only NINE more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
You could be playing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
w00t!

And now there's only . . . nine more

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waffles? Arooo!
United Kingdom
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmb
[vote selena]

Lets play a quick game with the people we've got.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon
United States
The firey depths of Detroit
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just signed up on Cassandra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon
United States
The firey depths of Detroit
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karmic_devil wrote:
Honestly, I would join but since I will be actually modding this game while the lynch in that game is going on I am going to have to sit it out.

Aww, sucks that you won't be play too. This will be my first non-automod game so perhaps I'll come to understand all the work involved.

Anyway, are there any other veterans of the actual Quake games??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JC
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry Karmic. I'm already in 3 now with another one starting Monday. Plus my new job blocks BGG.

Next one

kiss to you and Selena

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waffles? Arooo!
United Kingdom
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmb
catfood wrote:
Karmic_devil wrote:

Aww, sucks that you won't be play too. This will be my first non-automod game so perhaps I'll come to understand all the work involved.

Anyway, are there any other veterans of the actual Quake games??

Nope, never played one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
You could be playing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JCwid wrote:
Sorry Karmic. I'm already in 3 now with another one starting Monday. Plus my new job blocks BGG.

Next one

kiss to you and Selena

You are hardcore, JC - see you in the next one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [26] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.