Popular Tags: [View All]
Roland Wood
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So this paragraph reading thing by the person on your left sounds a lot like what you have to do in Starfarers when your mother ship vomits out a black ball. Can someone who has some experience with both games please tell us exactly how Arabian Nights' choose-your-own-adventure mechanic is superior to Starfarers' mechanic? As you can probably tell, I am not a huge fan of the mechanic as it is presented in the Catan game....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Starfarers, but I've played Tales. From what I read of Starfarers, the encounters are deeper in Tales, and read more like a story. You also have many type of encounters, and each has many possible results. For example, if you encounter a prince, it can be of different types, and each will react differently to your actions (you can choose what you want to do when you have an encounter between many options like approach, rob, attack, flee, etc...). Then depending on what skills you have, the outcome will be different too, and sometimes you get to make choices that direct you to different paragraphs.

Also, players are encouraged to dress up the story told on the paragraphs, not just read them aloud, so that even if you encounter the same paragraph later you won't be sure it's the same. It also gives a more storytelling feel to the game.

-Jorge

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Murray
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This makes my desire for this game even greater. I personally love that element in Starfarers. Seems like this just adds more meat to that. Can't wait!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorge pretty much nailed it. The choose-your-own adventure is pretty much the entire game in Tales, rather than a side portion as it is in Starfarers. There are about a bajillion different paragraphs in the paragraph book, so you'll rarely run into the same paragraph over the course of multiple games.

While there is a winner at the end, I'd say that Tales is pretty much an experience game rather than a game that you're seriously trying to win. You make decisions based on your character's skill set (which can change throughout the game), but the fun is in seeing what kind of story unfolds based on your decisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Wood
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My problem with the Starfarer's mechanic is that it doesn't really matter what you choose because with some of the cards if you (for example) choose to donate only 1 resource to the passing ship, you are treated with pity and given some resources back for a net gain. With others that read exactly the same, if you only donate 1 resource then you've given offense and your ship is impounded or some such disastrous outcome. The point is that it is impossible to tell so you are just guessing what your "choice" should be.

In other words it is simply disguising random event cards with a paragraph someone reads and some choices you must make. But the outcome will still be the same as if you just drew a random card and it simply said "gain 2 resources" or "lose your ship" or "warp to any space".

If Tales of the Arabian Nights' paragraphs can be navigated by logic and good choices then I am definitely interested. If the paragraphs are just random event cards souped up to appear like choices then no thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Gabrielsson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Roliander wrote:
If Tales of the Arabian Nights' paragraphs can be navigated by logic and good choices then I am definitely interested. If the paragraphs are just random event cards souped up to appear like choices then no thanks.

In the original game it's a bit of both. If you choose to try to rob someone, being good at fighting or stealing is often useful, but not always. There is a lot of randomness in the results, but they tend towards reasonable ones - if you encounter a strange animal and choose to try to figure out what it is rather than fighting it, having knowledge-type skills will probably be useful but it may turn out that you needed Weapon Use after all.

But like was what said upthread, Tales is much more about the experience than trying to figure out the "best" choices. Making the "logical" choices based on your skills and the situations can lead to winning the game, or it can get you turned into an insane ape-thing that tries to rob everyone it meets. In my experience, either leads to a fun time playing the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
castiglione
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
AndersGabrielsson wrote:
[q="Roliander"]Making the "logical" choices based on your skills and the situations can lead to winning the game, or it can get you turned into an insane ape-thing that tries to rob everyone it meets. In my experience, either leads to a fun time playing the game.

Sounds like fun!

Any game which involves being turned into an insane, kleptomaniac ape is A-1 in my book!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.