Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Treasure, Ready, Go! aka Treasure, Ready, Go. (Who translates Haba titles?)

Played it this week for the first time and then noticed it also appeared in Bruno Faidutti's ideal game library: http://www.faidutti.com/index.php?Module=ludotheque&id=567. He describes it as Squad 7 for kids.

It's a speed/press-your-luck game in which you flip card and take on a variety of challenges -- memory, matching, building, ordering, imitating, recognizing/grabbing. The youngest player involved in my first game was 10, but I'm eager to try this with kindergarteners.

Handicapping will probably be necessary with mixed-age groups, but because the scoring mechanism involves keeping (and then summing the values of) successfully completed task cards, you can do it numerically (I need 2x as many points as you do to win). It's nice to find a speed game that is not simultaneous action -- turn-taking gives slower players a chance to complete the various challenges -- and the press-your-luck component (with some challenges -- e.g. rolling a die to match a card -- having a length that's determined more by luck than by skill) has the potential to level the playing field a bit.

One thing I didn't like was that the "concentration" challenge was fairly quickly solved early and it doesn't get re-set, so those cards were just gifts for much of the game. But that's easy enough to fix. We may have magnified the problem though, either by being very fast (blowing through lots of cards per player) or by mis-reading the rules (I have to check the rules and see if they get turned back over each round -- which would still lead to a turn-order advantage but would up the challenge/activity level of the game in later rounds.)

FWIW, we also played [thing=36726][/thing] (aka Wild Pirates), another new HABA US release. I wasn't that taken with it. The bits are nice (glass drops for treasure, a Viking camp, and three ships (all flat thick cardboard pieces), deck of cards, and a specialty die), but most turns are pretty rote. Usually, you roll the die and it tells you to add a treasure to a particular ships or that everyone should draw a card. The only time you get to make choices are when bidding is triggered (which happened significantly fewer than 1/6 times in our game) and when you get to decide which ship to put a treasure on (also 1/6 but usually a no-brainer decision given what's in your hand). All that said, play moves quickly and if you wanted to introduce a preschooler to open bidding, this might be a decent way to do so.

I'm also eager to try The Garlic Vampires, but I may have to buy that one to do so. The other two were loaners from our FLTS.

Here's a link to the rules for Garlic Vampires: http://www.haba.de/fileadmin/pdf/Spieleanleitungen/4330_Knob... And here are some images: http://www.maukilo.com/brands/haba-games-136/the-garlic-vamp... Seems like it has elements of both Schildkroetenrennen and Teufel's Kitchen but maybe with more constraint/less room for bluffing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Care to recommend an age range for "Auf die Schätze, fertig, los!"?

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Five and up is my best guess. But, again, I've only played it with a 10 year old thus far. I have played other games with lots of kindergarteners over the years (at school) and I think most of them could handle the challenges here but I don't know how quick they'd be at them.

From a skills standpoints, there's no reading or math involved. Some 6 block-high towers to be constructed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the report, Sue!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aniko Bordelon
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you say that Treasure, Ready, Go is a keeper with kids?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Too early to tell about replayability. It's a kind of game that typically has longevity for us and, in theory, because it's a speed game, it's not a case where the challenges get too easy but where you just get faster and faster at them. My guess is that it's appealing to a wide age range (so a 5 year old might like it now and still be eager to play at age 10), but that it's one that would stay fresher if it weren't in heavy rotation.

Now I'm very curious about Jungle Treasure (which is the other version profiled in the Faidutti link). Turns out it's much cheaper than Treasure Ready Go ($18 vs. $33 -- not shopping for discount), but I can't tell what the challenges are from the picture.

And, of course, there's also Squad Seven which is still in print in Canada (and is the grownup version with a soundtrack and a rubber dart gun). We haven't play it yet because I think it requires space for running around and I need to clear the clutter (of game boxes!) where we play and then remind the friend who owns it to bring it over during that brief interlude of cleanliness, LOL!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Garlic Vampires was a big hit. Fun for young and old. Very good with 3 (which can create a lot of ambiguity re who's who and where the existence of a dummy pawn facilitates bluffing and encourages risk-taking). Less interesting (for experienced gamers) with 2 (where identities can become obvious pretty quickly) or 4 (where you know you can't afford to advance any other pawn too much). Preschoolers will probably enjoy it with any number of players. Although there is some screwage involved, so depends on the kid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
Care to recommend an age range for "Auf die Schätze, fertig, los!"?

I just leaned that my game-crazy 4 year old neighbor loves this game. The only accomodation they make for him is that they don't play it as a press-your-luck game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.