Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Maple Ridge
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How many BGGers enjoy cycling as well as board games?

I thought it would be kinda cool to wear a cycling jersey that promoted board gaming. Today you can purchase national jerseys, rock band jerseys, beer jerseys, and breakfast cereal jerseys. So why not a jersey that says...

________Carcassonne_________

I did a little research, and there are a couple of companies that do custom jerseys. The cost would be between US$80 and US$100 - possibly less if there are enough people interested. (Minimum order with one company is 10 jerseys.)

So, please thumb this article if you would seriously consider purchasing something like this. (No obligation!)

If any of you know other manufacturers that could provide this customization, please let me know.

If you have an idea for another board game related design, please post it!

Let's vote on designs and see what we can come up with!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice idea. Unfortunately, the image above just says Preston North End to me, but I am sure the combined might of the Geek can come up with something good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well...I'm always amazed that people are willing to pay money to slap ads for products on their backs, arms, etc. Apparently because the good cyclists wear them, but the missing point is that the good cycles are paid to put an ad on their back. It's not like they actually want them there. Duh.

Then again, I also don't wear T-shirt that are ads for the same reason, so I'm probably not your target market no matter what you put on the jersey.

(Now, for my own product, I have made a T-shirt with my logo, but the person wearing them was my representative and working for me, so it made more sense!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Londini
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, that's not a bad idea. I'm not sure about the Carc symbol - maybe something BGG-related... let's see where this goes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to Carcassonne last summer. As a big fan of pro cycling as well as games it was a bit of a minor Mecca (although a week just in Carcassonne's two town areas was a bit long for what it was....)

You should all just wear t-shirts bearing my face on it as the cover of my under-published cycling game Tour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really love bicycling, but it's the summer time now. Degrees go up to the 104 or so in the day... I can ride 16 miles or so, but I have this huge hill near my house that's uphill that really kills me. I'm considering an electric bicycle to help me out.

Bicycling has a lot of benefits:

- fun to do
- gets you places
- no environmental pollution
- can save you gas money
- you get exercise
- uses your car less
- low maintenance
- does not require registration or insurance

Here's the one I'm considering:

http://nycewheels.com/dahon-mup8-bionx-electric-bike.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene Zehner
United States
Saint Cloud
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in. I'm an avid cycler and love cycling jerseys (you'd be amazed at how much stuff you can pack into a jersey's pockets)

Maybe we could plaster all sorts of adverts on the jerseys to help defray some of the cost (BGG, Rio Grande Games, Kosmos, etc )

Take Care,

Gene Z
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Electric motors are obviously going to add weight to a bike. If the hill is uphill on the way back having a motor might be an unwise choice. You may be tempted to go a bit longer ride and then the battery runs out of juice and you have to climb that hill with some extra dead-weight. The bike you link to weights 42 lb (which is pretty light as electics go). The normal Dahon Mu P8 weights 24.2 lb - which again is a reasonable weight although there are road bikes that are lighter.

If you have a decent bike already then you might want to add the motor and battery to it rather than buy a brand new bike with it already fitted.

If you really want a Dahon I would definitely ask the shop to fit the motor to a Mu P24 rather than a Mu P8. The increased gear range (and in particular a low gear of 21" as opposed to 32") will help if and when you do pedal uphill.

However climbing hills does get easier the more you practice (or so I have been reliably told - I live in one of the extremely flat parts of Britain).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Maple Ridge
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OutpostGamma wrote:
we could plaster all sorts of adverts on the jerseys to help defray some of the cost (BGG, Rio Grande Games, Kosmos, etc )

Good idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a decent bike, but I don't want to deal with the hassle of fitting an electric system to the bike. Also my bike is huge to the point where it won't fit in a sedan car.

I want this bike because it folds, so that I can carry it inside my school dorm I will use this fall. My sister tied her bike to the rack and the next day her bike seat was stolen. I can't risk that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil AnnergÄrd
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
I like bikes and bicycleing, but having a jersey is not a good thing is you are just using the bike for your commute, as I will start doing tomorrow. (I don't have a choiche, I can't afford the train to work, although I will probably keep rideing the bike even when I can afford the train, as it's bloody nice to ride it, even though I, um, got a bit lost today)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Pierce
United States
Brookhaven
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea and would consider purchasing one if it was a design I liked. I would prefer something BGG related on the shirt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Londini
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, Hunga Dunga, are you thinking/planning to contact Rio Grande, Mayfair, WotC etcc... to talk about sponsorship for the jersey?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Maple Ridge
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vince Londini wrote:
So, Hunga Dunga, are you thinking/planning to contact Rio Grande, Mayfair, WotC etcc... to talk about sponsorship for the jersey?

That's a great idea, but the response here has been underwhelming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Londini
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm...maybe a new thread titled "Who wants a BGG cycling jersey?" Instead of asking them to "thumbs up" (which people may find unintuitive, especially if they're new), just ask them to "respond along the lines of 'I'd buy one' if interested," so you can count the responses?

But, before you take another swing at it to see if people just overlooked the thread...consider consulting with Aldie - about both supporting the project and if he would make the topic sticky along with Geek of the Week and other threads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil AnnergÄrd
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
oh a BGG bike jersey, then I would be motivated to wear it (;

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.