Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
31 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: I know most gamers are Monty Python Fans - How about George Carlin? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the passing of George Carlin yesterday, I think we lost another great source of mirth and introspection. Through his great intelligence, deep understanding of the human condition and mastery of the English language, he made us think and laugh. It seems that most of the gamers I have met can recite the entirety of The holy Grail (usually at an inopportune moment) an most know most of those seven words (but prefer to recite excerpts from The Holy Grail).

Are there any Carlin fans out there? Anybody play any of his comedy while gaming? I got to once and it was hysterical. ASL and George Carlin - Hysterical.

R.I.P. George Carlin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fishhaid
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
Hi there, Face here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Huge fan. My younger brother called me first thing this morning to tell me that our childhood friend had died. We had grown up in the 70's listening and memorizing George's skits and to this day, we break out into anything from the class clown to the 7 words you can't say on TV.

I'll miss him and will be watching the HBO series in his honor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
United States
Trumbull
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a reluctant Carlin fan. Given his wit and perspective, it's hard not to be. I got to see him live twice, first in college (almost 10 years ago) and the second time only a few weeks ago. I remember seeing him in Dogma and silently applauding, watching some of his older routines as HBO reruns, listening to the occasional CD track and skimming through one of his books. He wasn't my favorite comedian, but he had such presence and poise that it was hard not to be drawn into his patter, hard not to like or agree with at least half of his act. Sometimes his comedy made too much sense. He'd say something absurd that was so true you just had to laugh. I was sorry to hear of his passing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will DeMorris
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Big fan. I was also lucky enough to see him a month ago when he came through El Paso and did a show. I didn't care for everything he said, but I respected him for always speaking his mind. He was the consumate cranky old man. If you didn't like it you could piss off. Gonna miss you George.

-Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Goenner
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Yup, changed the Avatar for self-promotion.
badge
Go vote in the 24-Hour RPG Design Contest!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've loved George Carlin for pretty much as long as I can remember. Stand up comics are funny. Stand up comics who are intelligent AND funny? They can change the way people look in the world.

He will be missed...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well he did his best work in the 70/80 his later stuff wasn't as
good.

One of my favorites..

One day they will invent a birth control pills will not be perscriptions then they will need marketing names.. like
Womb broom
Popper stopper
baby miss

and for the one that doesn't work all the time
Baby Maybe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Breno K.
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huge fan. An american genius.

His latter stuff is a bit too bitter, though, from what I've seen on youtube. "Yeah, humanity sucks, but you still didn't say that in a funny way this time."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Big fan.
He will be missed...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Saddleback, covered by a blanket of winter snow
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
"Tonight's forecast: Dark. Continued dark throughout most of the evening, with some widely-scattered light towards morning."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
His comparison of Baseball and Football will remain my favorite.

Something interesting I read this morning:

Why do they keep the gas station bathrooms locked? Are they afraid someone might come in and clean them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gates
United States
Essex
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
George Carlin and Dennis Miller are my two favorite comedians. Carlin was a genius, even if he did seem to get a little too dark and bitter in his recent routines.

His comparison of baseball and football, highlighting the military aspects of football, is a classic.

"Baseball has no time limit: we don't know when it's gonna end - might have extra innings.
Football is rigidly timed, and it will end even if we've got to go to sudden death.

In baseball, during the game, in the stands, there's kind of a picnic feeling; emotions may run high or low, but there's not too much unpleasantness.
In football, during the game in the stands, you can be sure that at least twenty-seven times you're capable of taking the life of a fellow human being.

And finally, the objectives of the two games are completely different:

In football the object is for the quarterback, also known as the field general, to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the defense by hitting his receivers with deadly accuracy in spite of the blitz, even if he has to use shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs, he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack that punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy's defensive line.

In baseball the object is to go home! And to be safe! - I hope I'll be safe at home!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gates
United States
Essex
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carlin's riffs on cats:

"They're even cute when they kill. Oh, look, he's playing with the mouse! Bullshit. Mouse doesn't feel that way! They're cute -- oh, he's so precious, just tearing the throat right out of that bird. Cute as can be ... they kill. See, they like to kill something. That's what they want to do, that's why they act so nice.

If you take a baby baby, that is, a human, you take a baby dog and a baby cat, and you attack all three of them -- which I try never to do, if I can help it -- you get three different results. You attack a baby, he cries. You attack a puppy, he cowers. You attack a kitty-cat, he fights. One day old, and they're looking for some shit!.

If you've got a leg and a cat, you've got a party!

You don't have to pet a cat. You just put your hand over them, and they do all the work."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man... I didn't know this until just now. What a sad day. I know what I'm going to be doing tonight.

George Carlin is brilliant. I love all his stand up. I love his movie appearances. It really is a shame, but he did look pretty feeble in his last HBO special.

Carlin favorites include:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YphEUa5LPjM

Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to embed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris reichl

Appleton
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's the seven words...I think it's best not to embed. (You know the censors...)

But anyway, Yes. I like both.

RIP Mr. Carlin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The lunatic is on the grass...
United States
The 'Couve
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb

Although I would not call myself a "fan" of Carlin's work, I had the utmost respect for him and how he would always stay true to himself and his work. Truly sad news. Seems we are loosing some greats lately...still realing from the loss of Stan Winston, man that one hurts.

R.I.P. George...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sorry to hear about his passing and I know that he will be missed by many due to the entertainment he provided to them, but I guess I will be in the minority and say that, while he had his moments, Carlin ceased to be funny (for me) about 20 years ago. Observational humor gets stale very quickly and comics like Carlin, Seinfeld, Miller, Maher, and Wright just kind of come off as more-clever-than-thou smart asses rather than funny guys. Although I do like alot of Seinfeld's TV scripts so I am quite caught in a paradox regarding his humor. Obviously, YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearcat89 wrote:
I am sorry to hear about his passing and I know that he will be missed by many due to the entertainment he provided to them, but I guess I will be in the minority and say that, while he had his moments, Carlin ceased to be funny (for me) about 20 years ago. Observational humor gets stale very quickly and comics like Carlin, Seinfeld, Miller, Maher, and Wright just kind of come off as more-clever-than-thou smart asses rather than funny guys. Although I do like alot of Seinfeld's TV scripts so I am quite caught in a paradox regarding his humor. Obviously, YMMV.

Well, more-clever-than-you, almost certainly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Who says I like Monty Python?

Carlin, however, was clever and funny. But he sure let the drugs do him in in many ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
Bearcat89 wrote:

Well, more-clever-than-you, almost certainly.

Ah, the ad hominem attack against the person with the temerity to deviate from the prevailing opinion. A most cranky and clever rejoinder, Falstaff!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't let your sour grapes hit you in the ass on your way to heaven, Ed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
Don't let your sour grapes hit you in the ass on your way to heaven, Ed.

Oh ho! Two for two! Clearly I am outmatched. Well played, sirrah!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guess that'll teach you to lump Steven Wright in with those others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Why do we kill bugs? Because they're pests. Why do we kill animals? Because it's fun! Why do we kill people? Because they're pests... and it's fun!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I know most gamers are Monty Python Fans - How about George Carlin?
Yeah - he probably was a Python fan as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bove
United States
East Lansdowne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearcat89 wrote:
Observational humor gets stale very quickly and comics like Carlin, Seinfeld, Miller, Maher, and Wright just kind of come off as more-clever-than-thou smart asses rather than funny guys.

What other kind of stand-up comedy is there, really? Cosby, Eddie Murphy, Carlin, Chris Rock, most of the greats did a lot of observational humor. Very few comics actually do jokes (Gilbert Gottfried notwithstanding), at least not any more. What else is left? Insult comedy (Rickles, Triumph), o.k., but it gets old pretty quickly too. Prop comedy is universally reviled. Gimmick acts don't usually endure (Andy Kauffman notwithstanding).

I think it's fine if you don't care for Carlin (I can't stand the new wave of so-called "blue collar" comics), but I don't see how his being an observational comic is much of a strike against him since that element of comedy is at the heart of stand-up, which is Carlin's bailiwick.

By the way, the ad hominem attacks against you were indeed unfair and impolite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.