Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Lloyd
United Kingdom
Penmaenmawr
Conwy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Went to see Leonard Cohen in concert at the Manchester Opera House on Friday (20 June). It was, without doubt, the most wonderful performance I've ever seen! The guy was pure magic - his voice deeper than ever, but loud and clear. He got his first (of many) standing ovations the minute he stepped onto the stage. The audience just loved him, and he seemed to be having just as good a time.
It cost me an arm and a leg to buy the tickets from eBay (the concert was sold out almost immediately) but I'd love to go see him again. He has four more dates in the UK, but there are rumours of his tour being extended due to the overwhelming demand. If you get the chance - take it. An experience I will never forget.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
The Wife and I just watched "I'm Your Man" over the weekend. It was filled with largely disappointing readings of his songs, but the interviews with the Man himself were worth sitting through the rest. I reckon the man puts on a great show. He's hell of compelling just to look at, and when he opens his mouth... Man, I'm jealous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always held a theory that Cohen, despite his voice, is always better covered. The major exception being a few tracks off of The Future.

(Speaking of The Future, "Closing Time" is easily my favorite Cohen song and the one I would love to hear a great cover of.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been a LC fan since the late Sixties (Master Song, Suzanne.) I became redevoted when I happened to hear Everybody Knows on a Detroit radio station in the mid Nineties.

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
For a second there I thought this thread was going to say he died.

Anyway, I absolutely love Songs of Leonard Cohen, Songs From a Room, Songs of Love and Hate, and New Skin for the Old Ceremony.

Then he changed his sound for Death of a Ladies' Man and molted one of the worst albums ever made.

He has done some stuff I like since then, but nothing that I've wanted to own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
I've always held a theory that Cohen, despite his voice, is always better covered.

I liked Nina Simone's version of Suzanne almost as much as his, but that's the closest I've heard a cover achieve what he did with his songs.

That said, I don't really love Halleluia despite the Jeff Buckley's solid attempt.

Ian McCulloch's Lover Lover Lover is good.

I haven't heard the Willy Nelson version of Bird on a Wire, but the Johnny Cash didn't do anything to add to an already perfect song.

Concrete Blonde are as usual unlistenable.

I've not heard I'm Your Fan, so I can't vouch for those, but for me he does his songs the best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise Holden
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me his voice is just a little too much like chalk on a blackboard, much as I like the songs, but I have promised to accompany Spouse to the appropriate stage at Glastonbury this weekend so I could well come back converted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.