Manoeuvre» Forums » General

Subject: Finding this game entry rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Damn, finding this game in the BGG database is a chore. I finally gave up and went through my list of recently viewed games from 4 days past. ManOEUv...re? Perhaps an alternate title with the English "maneuver" might help others track down this game more easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
Manoeuvre is English

Maneuver is American English

Don't feel bad, because I am English, I live in America and I cannot spell either word properly !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I find it enormously reassuring after being forced to deliberately misspell 'Colours' in order to find Commands & Colors: Ancients...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
So long as you are looking for Manoeuvre and not Manoeuvre.

PS - searching for just uvre in the search box returns a short enough list. One doesn't always have to search from the front. And if you want an even shorter list, just type man vre into the search box. That's right, just the first and last bits. Avoids all the mess in the middle.

Edit One more thing. oeuvre is a word in its own right, one could just remember that word add man to the front instead of hors d'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Helpful hint. Thanks, didn't know this was possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
If you intend to frequent the page...um...frequently. Just add it to your Quickbar (by clicking the "+" in the upper right).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since when do Americans speak English?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johnnyspys wrote:
Since when do Americans speak English?

Actually, we speak Oeunglish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I don't know the official reason for spelling the word this way, your search for it under alternative spellings probably clued you to how many OTHER games used that single word title.

Quote:
Personally I find it enormously reassuring after being forced to deliberately misspell 'Colours' in order to find Commands & Colors: Ancients...

Be nice. Were it not for American English, you'd be spelling the game Befehle und Farbe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeneSteeler wrote:
If you intend to frequent the page...um...frequently. Just add it to your Quickbar (by clicking the "+" in the upper right).

Or add it to your collection page (whether by owning it, commenting on it, rating it, requesting email updates for new content, whatever), and have a link to your collection page on your Quickbar. I often use my collection page to visit the games I'm interested in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
RPardoe wrote:
One more thing. oeuvre is a word in its own right, one could just remember that word add man to the front instead of hors d'

So, should we be pronouncing the game "man-URV"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Horger
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We found the spelling in a translated period book and thought it odd enough to make a slightly unique name.

[q="kduke"]While I don't know the official reason for spelling the word this way, your search for it under alternative spellings probably clued you to how many OTHER games used that single word title.[q]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also just spent twenty minutes finding it here. Had to finally go to the GMT page to figure out how to spell it. Google helps with alternate spellings, perhaps BGG's search engine could acquire that tech?

It was worth the search.

Chick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.