Popular Tags: disability [+] deaf [+] [View All]
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BrenoK wrote:
To my defense, I didn't know I he was deaf when I picked the game off my shelf.
I had to keep myself in check sometimes so that I wouldn't talk louder when I spoke to him. He's stone deaf, it doesn't matter how loud I say things, only how I articulated my lips. One particularly funny moment (dunno why this struck me as funny, maybe "curious" is a better word) is when we started eating bread (he had this bread-making machine, I'm definitely buying one, the bread is awesome) and the game had to be paused because he can't read lips when people's mouths are full. Everyone really liked the game, which is cool, since it's available here.
So, the uplifting moral in this story is "deaf people can still win auction games".

Good post to read, Breno - I am deaf myself; while my speech & communication are very good, I find auction games occasionally more work than usual to keep up with the bids. The upside of that is that I think I am better at reading body language & who's near breaking point at giving up a bid !

Should play a few more
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
At Kublacon I played several 18XX and Lokomotive Werks with a deaf guy. He's quite a good player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tonksey wrote:
I am deaf myself;

Then your avatar is the definition of irony!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bridge players often use "auction cards" that they lay on the table instead of speaking their bids. (It keeps everything visible and prevents certain forms of illegal table talk by how you speak your bid.)

If you are going to play Modern Art with this person regularly it may make sense to print some kind of bid sheet that players can put pawns on for multiple-round auctions, or it may slow thew game down.

A good friend of mine who is mostly deaf often plays with a blind partner, who requires that people speak their bids as they make them. The combination of blind and deaf players at the same table can be challenging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:

Then your avatar is the definition of irony!

Completely unintentional & I missed the irony myself, until others pointed it out!

M...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.