Joshua Harris
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I submit a photo, of a group of people at a con playing Shadows over Camelot.

It is declined with the comment "Too many Fat Guys".

[rant]

I hate to get on a soapbox here, but I think that is complete and utter B#(($*)T!!!!

Are we only allowed to submit photos if they have hot chicks falling out of their dresses now?

The NERVE of some people.

[/end rant]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As tedious as these threads can get, this one seems to be a legitimate complaint.

But the fact is that as long as the payoff for clicking "decline" is 10x that of clicking "approve" you're going to have stupid rejections like this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard S
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I am generally a defender of geekmod as a system, that comment was completely inappropriate. You should mention it to an admin. I believe that they can see who made which comments and offer some gentle (or not so) correction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair, the actual comment is "to many fat guys"

I can only assume that the user's open letter was cut off after the greeting. I'll check in with him.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Harmon
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cornbread46 wrote:

Are we only allowed to submit photos if they have hot chicks falling out of their dresses now?

They don't even have to be hot. Cleavage is enough to get the photo accepted (along with dozens of thumbs and a few double entendres).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow...that's total crap. That guy should be permanently relieved of his admin duties. He was probably one of those annoying dorks in grade school that wanted to clean erasers and be the hall monitor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Musselman
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the positive side, democracy lets people have their say on a decision based on whatever criteria are important to them as individuals.

And, on the negative side, democracy lets people have their say on a decision based on whatever criteria are important to them as individuals.

Democracy works great when people's criteria are "important," but works terribly when people's criteria are irrelevant or worse, misguided.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
One jerk who thinks they're funny can really ruin a nice place, can't they.

Please resubmit. As a fan of photos of people playing games, I'm happy to vote to accept whether the picture has fat guys, hot chicks, fat hot guychicks, or whoever else you can get.

Just please no cats. (Kidding, kidding!)

Edited on the realization that it may not have been a man who made the nasty comment!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Taylor
United States
Castro Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey! I'm really funny!

Aren't I? Wait..

Uhoh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Petro
United States
INDIAN TRAIL
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That was the comment of just one modder. It takes more than one to reject a picture. What were the other comments? One jerk declining the picture does not invalidate the opinion of the other modders who also rejected the image.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard S
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:

But the fact is that as long as the payoff for clicking "decline" is 10x that of clicking "approve" you're going to have stupid rejections like this one.

I have argued in several other places that the 10x decline payment doesn't lead to a lot of "stupid rejections".

Regardless, even if it did, there is no payment for making a stupid, obnoxious comment as was done in this case. So, blaming it on the GG reward does not seem appropriate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
mentis wrote:
That was the comment of just one modder. It takes more than one to reject a picture. What were the other comments? One jerk declining the picture does not invalidate the opinion of the other modders who also rejected the image.

Especially of those that may have thought that your deluge of blurry and small pictures were not up to snuff. Apparently, we had quite a few myopic modders on today with screens set to 640x480...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The world is full of assholes. The internet just seems to corral them together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivo van der Horst
Netherlands
Capelle aan den IJssel
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps it was intended as "too many fat guys", hoping for more fat ladies instead (think big cleavage = many thumbs).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Typse2Fsat wrote:
Perhaps it was intended as "too many fat guys", hoping for more fat ladies instead (think big cleavage = many thumbs).

BGG = BigGirlGeek? I like it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Maybe if you crop the image and resubmit it with fewer fat guys?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
"You know what grinds my gears?"

Not pushing the clutch in far enough when shifting into second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Smith
United States
Shelton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who declined said image (but not the commenter), you submitted a ton of 640x480 pictures... while it was an insensitive comment, the picture was declined (at least by me) because they weren't very good quality.

Which also brings me off on a second tangent:

Out of principle I will decline 99.9% of the pictures submitted with either a) a woman and it's an obvious "cleavage" shot or b) a baby and it's an obvious "isn't my kid so cute!" shot.

While the pictures may be great pictures, the woman hot, the baby cute... that isn't the purpose of BGG and I really feel like a TON of these pictures are submitted strictly for the GG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rsmithx wrote:
Out of principle I will decline 99.9% of the pictures submitted with either a) a woman and it's an obvious "cleavage" shot or b) a baby and it's an obvious "isn't my kid so cute!" shot.

While the pictures may be great pictures, the woman hot, the baby cute... that isn't the purpose of BGG and I really feel like a TON of these pictures are submitted strictly for the GG.

Thank you for doing your part to keep the "people" category free of people. That's great work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Smith
United States
Shelton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It says "Images where people are prominently featured with the game" not "shots of my kid with a single meeple in front of him to justify it belonging on BGG."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

So how many fat guys WERE in the shot? Has the site set a recommendation? My group likely exceeds, so I'd kind of like to know.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:
rsmithx wrote:

Thank you for doing your part to keep the "people" category free of people. That's great work.

I see your point. However, although I can't off-hand really think of a reason not to approve a cleavage shot ever, I've had my fill of cute kid and cat images. I would have thought "people" images would have something interesting to do with gaming which happened to include people. Maybe a designer, some interesting looking gaming session, etc. I agree with you and don't think BGG was meant to be a family photo album website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlin Back
United States
COLUMBUS
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Remind me to never submit a photo to BGG. I don't think I could handle the stress...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam DiRocco
United States
North Lima
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a Amateur Extra Class Ham radio Operator -- W8SDD
mbmbmbmbmb
What's interesting is that if you go to the Gallery for Shadows Over Camelot, I believe the thumbnail, for the image in question, is there. If you click on the Thumbnail you get "Image does not exist".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamburg
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, that comment was totally inappropriate. You have every right to be annoyed. I'm annoyed by stuff like that, too.

I happen to enjoy photos of people obviously enjoying a game, whether they are hot chicks, cute kids, or, yes, even fat guys. Many of the most popular shots on this site are of people (note I said "most popular," which can be objectively measured by thumbs, not "best" which is a matter of opinion). So I'm glad to see plenty of people shots getting through these days; I think the addition of the "people" category helped in this regard.

I'm not going to debate the value of the mod system, it's been done many times. Nor can I judge the photo in question as I didn't see it.

But I don't think it's that hard to get images past the modders. It helps if you pick a game without too many photos and add a shot for it- the 600th photo of Carcassone tends to get judged a bit more harshly than the first. If you're playing with an expansion, submit your photo under that rather than the base game. A good caption helps. And so does a quality image; particularly one that's a bit different. If it's a shot of people, it really helps if the image tells some sort of story, either on its own or with a caption. This site isn't Photo Geek and your image doesn't have to be up to professional standards to get accepted; browse the recently added images sometime- you'll see that an image doesn't need to be that remarkable to get accepted. But quality does help.

In the end of the day, I think the modders are looking for something that adds to the site- not the 20th similar photo doesn't.

Again- none of the comments are directed at the OP's photo, I didn't see it and can't judge it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.