Mr. Bunny
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a question that came up in our game:

Muaat player has the ability to spend one CC from Strategy Alloc to place either 1 destroyer or 2 fighters in the system with a space or war sun.

2 questions here:

1) What if the system is blockaded by enemy ships? Can you still do the action even to force a space battle?

2) Can the Muaat keep spending CCs from Strategy Alloc to keep doing this special racial action?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fowler
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 I don't know why not. Blockade effects space docks, not special racial abilities.
2. As long as that is how you wish to use your action, have a CC to spend and units available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
For #1, while I'd concede that technically the rules don't say otherwise, I would make a guess that the intent was that blockaded Space Docks cannot produce units in this way. I would argue that the term "place" is close enough to the way building units works (by placing them in space in the system) that you cannot do this.

Thematically, it doesn't make any sense to allow them to spawn the "free" ships when they couldn't build them manually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John L
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe you cannot use the ability in a blockaded system.

The official FAQ/Errata says:

"You may not gain ships in a system that contains enemy
ships."

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/PDF/tifaq2.pdf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, yes. I thought I remembered there being a ruling about that, but I did a search for Muaat in the FAQ and didn't see it specifically for them, but the ruling you mention in on Page 3, right column, last Q&A above "Combat".

Although the question asks about Mirage, the answer is generic enough to apply to Muaat as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Bunny
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Thanks very much.

johnnylump wrote:
I believe you cannot use the ability in a blockaded system.

The official FAQ/Errata says:

"You may not gain ships in a system that contains enemy
ships."

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/PDF/tifaq2.pdf

As for my #2 question above, I thought I read somewhere that you can only use the racial ability once which is why I asked. It is good to clarify.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some racial abilities have limitations for how often you can use them (like the Yssaril can't skip twice in a row, and the Yin can only use theirs once per round).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Either I'm missing something here, or you are playing this wrong. The Muaat ability says, "...in any system containing one of your War Suns." And, you are saying that your War Sun is blockaded. How can your War Sun be blockaded? If there are enemy ships in the same system as your War Sun then a space battle should have been resolved during a previous action, before you are able to use your ability to take an action to place the units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryanhanson wrote:
Either I'm missing something here, or you are playing this wrong. The Muaat ability says, "...in any system containing one of your War Suns."

You ended the sentence too early. It says, "...in any system containing one of your War Suns or Space Docks." (I think the image in the BGG database is in error; FFG must have made a change after that preview image was released, but before the game was released).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh! Well that would be what I was missing. blush I was looking at the image on BGG.

And now with that, here are my answers:
1. No.
2. Yes, but you have to wait for your next turn to do it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Bunny
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks fellas for your help! This is such a great community! Have a great weekend
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.