Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Harris
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This Thursday the gang of four was down to what is turning out to be a regular triumvirate (reminder to self: ask Ian what the heck he's doing in Yorkshire so much nowadays?). As my eldest daughter (18) was at a bit of a loose end she asked to come along to the session. I'm all for bringing in new players so, of course I agreed.

I know she's played (and enjoyed) Starfarers of Catan before so that kinda settled what to bring along. I think this one plays best with 4 (3 is the only other option, without expansions) if only because you get more 'produces' between turns and so you get more cards in hand.
We did the usual 'advanced' set-up where you semi-randomly place the starting planets and then take turns in placing your 3 initial colonies. A while back, we decided it was fairest NOT to do this in order 1234, 1234, 1234 rather 1234, 4321, 1234.

What soon became apparent 4 turns in was the importance of placing wisely. The temptation (certainly for me!) is to go for 'frequency' (i.e. 6 and 8 numbered planets) rather than going for a spread of the 5 resources. I found myself with a relative glut of 'ore' and a severe 'food' shortage. On the other side of the table, the position was reversed with Ralph. Of course, trading is the obvious answer but it often turned out that the 'spares' weren't available at the same time. As a consequence of having *lots* of the wrong cards I found myself with big (and consequently, vunerable) hands. Sure enough, I threw 7's when I was holding 11 and 12 cards. That meant a huge loss of resources having to discard half on both occasions.

Anyway, what with 'farmer Ralph' and his handfuls of food, me and my ore mountain and Alan with the saddest looking, unexpanded mothership I think I've ever seen in front of him it was Lauren who was creeping steadily into the lead almost unnoticed. She was on 12 VPs when it suddenly became apparent that she had a colony ship AND a trade ship on the wing! Two turns later, one colony (1 VP), one friendship chip (2 VP) and it was curtains for the 'old guard'! Oh well, good fun anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.