United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right here:
http://www.critical-hits.com/2008/06/28/34th-annual-origins-...

Of particular note to those here, Age of Empires III won for Historical Board Game of the Year, Zombie Fluxx for Traditional Card Game, and Starcraft for Boardgame of the year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Harrison
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.gamesonthebrain.com
badge
www.gamesonthebrain.com
Zombie Fluxx over Race for the Galaxy?

Um... ok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GamesOnTheBrain wrote:

Um... ok.

"No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."
H.L. Mencken
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:
GamesOnTheBrain wrote:

Um... ok.

"No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."
H.L. Mencken

Replace 'taste' with 'idiocy' and you have it.

...Sheylon
www.boardgamebabylon.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow... I think Zombie Fluxx winning over Race for the Galaxy is an excellent illustration of why the Origins awards are a joke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    The correct quote from H.L, Mencken, a native son of Maryland, is as follows --

"No one in this world has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby."

It took me about an hour to find that reference. No wait, it was ten seconds on Google.

Personally I am more surprised that Zombie Fluxx won out over Lifeboat and Cutthroat Caverns which, in spite of far less notoriety, seem to have spawned little or no controversy regarding their merit, and a pretty solid consensus that they are quality plays. Although Zombie Fluxx really was pretty good when I played it . . .

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
This is fairly easy to explain if you understand the rules. Check last year's winner. Yeah, another Looney Lab product: Treehouse. Andy and company simply get out the vote at the convention. They make the effort and they get the award. It's that simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adamw wrote:
Andy and company simply get out the vote at the convention. They make the effort and they get the award. It's that simple.

Not that it's Zimbabwe or anything, but that doesn't seem fair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is just so sad. Zombie Fluxx is fun, but simply not in the same category as some of the others. I've played both and one or two of the other entries...and wish I could have voted.

Congrats to Andy Looney, and great work on getting the vote out.

But...

Treehouse was definitely one that made sense. This year, not so much.

Yeah yeah, my opinion and all. Andy won the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

"No one in this world has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby."

It took me about an hour to find that reference. No wait, it was ten seconds on Google.

Personally I am more surprised that Zombie Fluxx won out over Lifeboat and Cutthroat Caverns which, in spite of far less notoriety, seem to have spawned little or no controversy regarding their merit, and a pretty solid consensus that they are quality plays. Although Zombie Fluxx really was pretty good when I played it . . .

Sag.

I bow to your Google skills. Shame on me for relying on faulty memory vs. pseudo-intelligence.

It's kind of a shame the internet has become full of experts just looking for any opportunity to correct someone because they can "look stuff up good."
And by the way, you can google up numerous versions of the quotation, all attributed to Mencken. Just because you found one that claims to be the actual one means nothing when there are 30 others making the same claim.
I think we need to resurrect his corpse and perform some diabolical rite to get the actual truth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mac
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not expect most of those results. I have no further comment on the matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
We will move from victims to survivors and conquer as we go.
mbmb
Wow...this years roleplaying games really blow me away. It seems like the dark years of d20 are finally behind us.
Aces&Eights looks fantastic. I always though that a "real" (not fantasy) Western RPG would be a great thing, even I am not really a big fan of the genre. And there is a RPG based on Solomon Kane?

Maybe it´s time to dust off those polyhedral dice...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
We will move from victims to survivors and conquer as we go.
mbmb
adamw wrote:
This is fairly easy to explain if you understand the rules. Check last year's winner. Yeah, another Looney Lab product: Treehouse.

Considering that this is the first time I ever heard of this company - does this make me a lesser geek than I thought I was or the voting as rigged as I think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy M
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shock horror - people who play games don't all post on BGG! this is why starcraft won as well, a lot of people play these games and don't post on here because they have no interest in games that are lauded like race for the galaxy, peurto rico, agricola, powergrid, etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:

Sag.

I bow to your Google skills. Shame on me for relying on faulty memory vs. pseudo-intelligence.

It's kind of a shame the internet has become full of experts just looking for any opportunity to correct someone because they can "look stuff up good."
And by the way, you can google up numerous versions of the quotation, all attributed to Mencken. Just because you found one that claims to be the actual one means nothing when there are 30 others making the same claim.
I think we need to resurrect his corpse and perform some diabolical rite to get the actual truth.

You are free to offer any rebuttal you like. Including something of substance would make it more compelling.

No, you're right, I was too snarky. Us folks around Baltimore take Mencken too seriously -- he was a bit of a jerk from all accounts and we should just let it go.

Given his writing style, general topic during his Baltimore Sun days, and the nature of the text in the version I presented I think it's a pretty solid bet it is close to the original. Who would paraphrase into THAT thing? In spite of generally defending the common man his prose was quite erudite.

Sag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike E
United States
Poulsbo
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is the dull man who is always sure, and the sure man who is always dull.

H. L. Mencken

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

Given his writing style, general topic during his Baltimore Sun days, and the nature of the text in the version I presented I think it's a pretty solid bet it is close to the original. Who would paraphrase into THAT thing? In spite of generally defending the common man his prose was quite erudite.

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tanakor wrote:
adamw wrote:
This is fairly easy to explain if you understand the rules. Check last year's winner. Yeah, another Looney Lab product: Treehouse.

Considering that this is the first time I ever heard of this company - does this make me a lesser geek than I thought I was or the voting as rigged as I think?

I'll double what others have said: Looney Labs had a HUUUUUUUGE presence at Origins. They were demoing the hell out of ZombieFluxx. Race for the Galaxy didn't have ANY presence. I'm sure there are a lot of people that voted for Zombie FLuxx that got to try it out there, enjoyed it, and voted for it. I don't think that makes the awards any less valid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
No, you're right, I was too snarky.

Not at all. The very meaning of the Mencken quote had been altered by the misquote, and you duly corrected it.

Thanks for doing so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wittdooley wrote:
I'll double what others have said: Looney Labs had a HUUUUUUUGE presence at Origins. They were demoing the hell out of ZombieFluxx. Race for the Galaxy didn't have ANY presence. I'm sure there are a lot of people that voted for Zombie FLuxx that got to try it out there, enjoyed it, and voted for it. I don't think that makes the awards any less valid.

Actually, I think it does. Picture a presidential election where you vote for either: Mr. Dave Likable, who will smile, tell you of the election, shake your hand, hand you a ballot and a pen even; or, the second name on the ballot.

I can see Origins ensuring some demo games of the candidates just to ensure they *can* be known to the crowd, while leaving the dealer's room publicizing to those who want to add that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cinnibar wrote:
wittdooley wrote:

Actually, I think it does. Picture a presidential election where you vote for either: Mr. Dave Likable, who will smile, tell you of the election, shake your hand, hand you a ballot and a pen even; or, the second name on the ballot.

I can see Origins ensuring some demo games of the candidates just to ensure they *can* be known to the crowd, while leaving the dealer's room publicizing to those who want to add that.

It's the ORIGINS AWARD, not the BEST GAME IN THE WHOLE WORLD AWARD! As such, I see it as wholly acceptable. It doesn't claim to be the hands-down be-all end-all award for game of the year. Heaven forbid some normal folk that attend Origins get to decide which game they liked best while they were there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heenan
United States
Cincinnati
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't get around to voting for anything (only able to be there Saturday and it was my first time ever at a con -- I didn't even know I could vote), but I agree with those who have pointed out that the Looney Labs people were doing a good job pushing things. They were one of the few booths that I walked by (not even up to) that asked me if I'd like to play a demo game instead of it being the other way around.

I couldn't even find Race for the Galaxy. And I looked. My friends who were there looked (and some of them were there from Wednesday.) It was one of the few games that I really wanted to try out and, most likely, purchase.

I hear RftG is great. A friend played someone's copy over the weekend and said it was definitely on his list of games to buy. But unlike RftG, the Fluxx games were there, being actively demoed, and in stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Collins
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best board game had a very weak field. Any of them that won would have been a laugh.

Who nominates these things?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spleen wrote:
Best board game had a very weak field. Any of them that won would have been a laugh.

Who nominates these things?

See... I don't get this quote. How was it a weak field? Each of the games nominated is VERY popular.

I don't know if you're still smarting from the Pens getting handled in the Cup, but get a clue. It's an award being given away in middle-America, so expect some American style games to be in the running.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wittdooley wrote:
It's the ORIGINS AWARD, not the BEST GAME IN THE WHOLE WORLD AWARD! As such, I see it as wholly acceptable. It doesn't claim to be the hands-down be-all end-all award for game of the year. Heaven forbid some normal folk that attend Origins get to decide which game they liked best while they were there.

<snark>
Oh, I've struck a nerve, haven't I? Poor you.

To help you calm down, I clarify that I am advocating that Origins provide some face-time/play-time (perhaps the CABS group might look into this) for *all* the entrants to their convention crowd so it becomes the ORIGINS AWARD not the DEALER'S ROOM AWARD.

See the difference? Proud of ya. devil
</snark>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.