Popular Tags: complaint [+] [View All]
John Erickson
United States
Winona
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No idea. I haven't got mine yet. Go figure huh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Clear nail polish?

Do you mean they are peeling from the generals or delaminating?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would wash the generals in warm water to make sure that any release agent is cleaned off of them before applying labels or painting. I noticed there was enough on my generals to make my hands feel greasy after handling them the 1st time.

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Woodard
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So basically...

1) I should be ready to contact VG for replacement generals when they arrive because in all likelihood they will be broken.

-- and --

2) I should plan on scanning the labels to print my own because the ones provided are too thin (based on other posts) and lack the necessary adhesive to remain on the bases?

Any other suggestions from those who have received them???

I do hope mine arrive soon because I was one of the first people to originally figure out the pre-ordering system way back in early AD 2007...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogma wrote:

Any other suggestions from those who have received them???

Wait and see what condition they are in before you start complaining about them?

I received my Generals last week without a blemish and my labels aren't showing any problems (of course I also washed the bases clean prior to application). Of course that was only one set of the two sets I ordered. According to VG, their contract shipper is going down a list and even multiple orders will ship separately (at no extra charge).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Woodard
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny, I don't think my post registers as a "complaint"... I posted comments and questions based on the rants and opinions of others.

Actually seems like you complained about them more in your post by saying that you had to wash the bases to apply the labels and also that only one of your sets has thus far arrived!

Me, I pre-ordered two copies myself and I have received NO sets. Feel free to call THAT a "complaint" if you'd like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Sammelin
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will this ever end?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glue.
Then matte coat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Sammelin
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cjsloki wrote:
30ought6 wrote:
Will this ever end?

It has for me. I created this thread for the purpose of getting some advice on how to get the labels to stick to the generals. All I got were complaints and now your comment. Thanks for the help.

Well, I just meant the whole plastic-generals thing. Will it ever end?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Sammelin
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyway. It sounds as if the plastic is a bit 'fat' and soft. In that case very few adhesives really stick. I'd either try the clue and varnish approach or I'd try to give the sticker better grip by cleaning the surface and then priming black (GW sells those), put the sticker on and lastly give it a few thin coats of varnish. BTW, once you've primed it you can give it a nice stone-like surface by dry-brushing gray prior to putting on the sticker.

Edit: TYpo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My Generals tale:

Mine arrived, about half were off of their bases, and one had a broken arm. Re-glued them. Then I got to the stickers...

OMFG

These had to be the most difficult stickers to apply I've seen in ages. Hard to get off the sticker sheet, and then they were so small, they were nearly impossible to apply. And now that they are on, the Strategy rating numbers are nearly impossible to read.

As I applied the last sticker, I thought to myself, "what a pain". Probably what the VG folks were thinking as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kuznick
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine didn't even come with labels, and half of them are unglued from the bases, and 2 of them are broken. Whee..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Sammelin
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
np dude.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sisk
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
malloc wrote:
I would wash the generals in warm water to make sure that any release agent is cleaned off of them before applying labels or painting.

I did this with mine and the labels still pull off at the edges. I'll probably just find some clear tape about the right width to wrap around the base.

Getting the labels off the sheet was a pain in its own right, but a careful hand and an x-acto knife did the trick.

My problem now is the swords of the two holding them down to one side. Each has snapped off cleanly without leaving a good joint to glue with super glue. Anyone else have luck gluing bits back on with anything else? The plastic isn't soft like other minis, so I'm not sure what else to try. Epoxy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you drill and pin the swords?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sisk
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
Could you drill and pin the swords?

I think this is the way I'll have to go, though the material is very thin. I may need to find someone with a really thin drill!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkuznick wrote:
Mine didn't even come with labels, and half of them are unglued from the bases, and 2 of them are broken. Whee..

Yeah, and mine came with live scorpion in the box! I was so busy trying to not get stung, I didn't notice the fine white powder that wafted out of the packaging. Yep, anthrax. Three weeks later, and finally out of the hospital. No more pre-order bonuses for me, I can tell you...

...um, OK, they didn't actually arrive like that. A couple of guys off their bases, and one plume busted from a helmet. I'm going to wash these guys, prime them, paint the Romans gold and the Carthegenians silver, stick the labels on, and matte finish the lot of them, and I think they'll be fine. More work than I was counting on, but should be nice when I finish them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Farrell
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SiskNY wrote:
My problem now is the swords of the two holding them down to one side. Each has snapped off cleanly without leaving a good joint to glue with super glue. Anyone else have luck gluing bits back on with anything else? The plastic isn't soft like other minis, so I'm not sure what else to try. Epoxy?

I haven't tried this in this exact situation, but here is what has worked for me for somewhat similar problems:

If super glue is your glue of choice, you can get in various consistencies. There is the normal stuff (sometimes labeled as "gap filling") which sets in like 10 seconds, and you can also get thinned stuff that sets, like, immediately. It's a pain in the neck to use because it's watery and sets so quickly, but it's also often the best thing for small joins with smooth surfaces that don't have a lot of adhesion. It won't get you a super-strong join, but that's not what we're looking for here. If you can't get the thinned stuff, you can also use a drop of water as an accelerant; put just a touch of super-glue on the join, hold the pieces together, and then have someone use an eyedropper to put a drop of water onto the join.

In either case, be sure not to overdo it, as rogue glue may spoil the look. Put a drop of the glue onto a card or something, then use a pin or something similar to apply a very small amount of the glue to the join. You can also enhance the effectiveness of the super glue by using a small pin or hobby knife to score the surfaces slightly, to give the glue some purchase.

These are techniques I use for metal models when I have a spear or sword or other small piece to affix that has a join that doesn't respond to basic super-gluing.

The solution I use for plastic models, probably foolproof but also potentially messier, is to use plastic glue. I use the Citadel-branded stuff myself, but I imagine there ise a cheaper alternative in the model section. Anyway, this glue works by basically melting and fusing the plastic. Using a pin or something to give the surface a thin coat, then holding the pieces together for a minute or something, should give a solid join. But, plastic glue does reform the plastic, so if you use too much the join may not look great. But if you're careful, it should be fine.

In general, plastic glue is a much better solution for bonding two pieces of plastic than super glue, and if you want to re-affix guys to their bases, that might be a better solution. When working with plastic models, I use plastic glue exclusively now for assembly and such since it bonds easily even on clean, flat joins. It does reek, though.

I finally got my own models, and they arrived just fine - a few not affixed to their bases properly, but no damage. Now I just need to figure out the labels myself

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.