Subject: While I'm at it: Recommend me Twilight Struggle! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R M
New Zealand
Welly
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those of you who have twilight struggle could you recommend it to play against your partner/wife?

I play HALF of my game with two different groups a bigger and a smaller (2 person) group , I play the OTHER HALF of my games with my partner, just the two of us. So I've taken an interest in two player games recently.

I know two people, one from each group, who will absolutely LOVE TS, so I'm inclined to get it but I'm not sure if it will stretch as far as my partner... I'm not sure if she'd have the fortitude for a 3+ hour game (as I've read in a couple of reviews).

Do you lot enjoy the odd game of this with your partner?

FYI She has played:
• Thurn and Taxis - and loves it
• San Juan - And really likes it
• Risk - and enjoyed the odd game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R M
New Zealand
Welly
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tafkapao wrote:
Obviously it will greatly depend on your partner's temperament, but reading your post the first thing that jumps out at me is that Risk doesn't get a superlatively positive response, while it is, by far, the closest listed relative to Twilight Struggle.

That being said - if the first things that bother her about Risk are the dice and the combat, then perhaps TS will appeal to her as it is card-driven and does not represent overt combat, only 'influence'. If, however, it is more about the game experience of Risk (the heavy amount of data on the board to take in, time it takes to calculate best moves, and actual turn-by-turn execution), then I do not think it would be worth the attempt to be honest.

Thanks for the reply. She has enjoyed a few games of Risk, but we are both getting sick of that game, I find it slightly boring now, I don't like the battle system, and a 2 player game of risk always seems pointless, and takes an eternity.... :gulp:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, to apply my criteria from your other thread... devil

You have rated around 8 games, and surprise put comments in helping people as to they why of what you like or don't like.

If you add more ratings (or as you play and rate more games) the recommendations become easier based on commonalities.

If those are the only games you've played together, based on where you 2 are at it seems like Twilight Struggle may be a bit of a stretch - I'd suggest Memoir '44 (or Battlelore if you want a fantasy theme) first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R M
New Zealand
Welly
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reapersaurus wrote:
Well, to apply my criteria from your other thread... :devil:

You have rated around 8 games, and :surprise: put comments in helping people as to they why of what you like or don't like.

If you add more ratings (or as you play and rate more games) the recommendations become easier based on commonalities.

If those are the only games you've played together, based on where you 2 are at it seems like Twilight Struggle may be a bit of a stretch - I'd suggest Memoir '44 (or Battlelore if you want a fantasy theme) first.

Your right I do only have 8 games rated, but that's because I'm so new to gaming (well... euro gaming.) I have gone now and updated my comments :D that was a good idea!

I really like the theme of TS, I'll have a look at Memoir '44 as I do like fantasy games BUT only in moderation!

Thanks for the suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if she is interested in the history of the period, she'll like the game. It's very thematic, so if you don't care about the history, it loses a lot of it's appeal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R M
New Zealand
Welly
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thdizzy wrote:
I think if she is interested in the history of the period, she'll like the game. It's very thematic, so if you don't care about the history, it loses a lot of it's appeal.

That's helpful to know. I'll ask her tonight. And its a much easier question then: "Do you think you'll enjoy a medium to heavy, card, war game?" ... she'll just look at me funny. :gulp:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out 1960: The Making Of The President. It's a similar style game but can be played in a shorter time. It's really fun, and the mechanics fit the theme really well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Bickman wrote:
Check out 1960: The Making Of The President. It's a similar style game but can be played in a shorter time. It's really fun, and the mechanics fit the theme really well.

Agreed. 1960 is probably a more partner-friendly game than TS. If you're interested in gradually stepping up in complexity, 1960 is good choice. If she digs the mechanics after a few plays, give Twilight Struggle a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Breno K.
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TS is the #1 game in my top 10 list, but I'm not sure it's wife-friendly...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom O'K
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Never fear; I is here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I really would not recommend this, just from what you've written. I play a fair amount of medium/light euros like San Juan with my girlfriend, and Twilight Struggle flopped with her like a dead fish... the length, the constant board maintenance, and the baroque rules all really turned her off.

I don't know if this makes a difference, but for the sake of full disclosure I really disliked it as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie Weis
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband and I love TS -- given 3 hours, it's our game of choice. I actually have more trouble playing San Juan with my spouse as he typically beats me (though I'm more likely to win Race for the Galaxy -- go figure). But I agree with those who suggested 1960 is a bit more user friendly and quite fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Merkinz wrote:
I really like the theme of TS, I'll have a look at Memoir '44 as I do like fantasy games BUT only in moderation!
BattleLore is the fantasy game (incredibly well-produced that most people really enjoy moving the bits around with the card-driven miniatures play) while Memoir '44 is the WW2 themed miniatures game.

I'd suggest Memoir 44 unless she has a preference for fantasy, with Lore (magic) sprinkled in on some scenarios.

The question is - does SHE really like the theme of Twilight Struggle?

And keep in mind - many BGGers responding here are well beyond the stage of gaming that you're at, so use that as a filter to view their recommendations at. You're better off giving weight to people at a similar gaming (and partner) stage as you (I'm not including myself in that group, necessarily).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll Tell you what, if you are in Auckland, I'll teach you Twilight Struggle, 1960 and Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage, which are the three easiest card driven games (I guess We the People would qualify as well but I don't have it, and it is next to impossible to get). If you like them you can make up your own mind
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R M
New Zealand
Welly
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ibn_ul_khattab wrote:
I'll Tell you what, if you are in Auckland, I'll teach you Twilight Struggle, 1960 and Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage, which are the three easiest card driven games (I guess We the People would qualify as well but I don't have it, and it is next to impossible to get). If you like them you can make up your own mind :)

Wicked offer! But I'm in Wellington :( I seem to get alot of invites and offers from Auckland... even a few from Chch... but not Wellington.

Thanks again though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a problem, if your up in auckland feel free to drop by You should ask some of the gamers up in wellington, some them I'm sure are TS fiends

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raindog
Norway
Elverum
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very interested in the Cold War, which my wife is not.

I told her that Twilight Struggle was an area-control game a bit like El Grande, Wallenstein and Mission: Red Planet, arrrh. Then she was willing to try it out, and she liked it a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.