Popular Tags: [View All]
Joris
Netherlands
Haarlem
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a couple of questions about control.

1. Does the PRC get control over Russia and N. Korea when they join the war? If yes, does the PRC get a VP for gaining control over a previously neutral area? If no, what if the PRC moves a land unit to N. Korea?
2. It seems like you can only have control over an area if you have a land unit in the area. Does this mean parts of China where there is no ground unit are neutral and that the PRC can't rebase aircrafts to this area?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Brent Ward
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My comments are not considered an official answer but here are my thoughts based on a few games:

1. Russia Yes... NK... only when that war is started but there are rules as to what can move in/out of NK before/after the war starts. (I don't have the rules in front of me). I would say No to PRC "invading" NK/Russia earning a VP.

2. My understanding is that China can never be invaded so even if you do not have units in a section of China you can rebase aircraft there.

Regards,
Brent

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Donnelly
Canada
Unspecified
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Chinese army is much, much bigger than the expeditionary elements portrayed in the game.

Remember Vizzini's advice about classic blunders, from The Princess Bride:" The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joris
Netherlands
Haarlem
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies.

I think you are right. I thought Russia and N. Korea were neutral countries, but if you look at the map at the 'terrain identifier key' it all becomes clear. The terrain of Russia and N. Korea are not considered neutral at the start, just the armies. For the same reason China will always be controlled by the PRC.

I was just confused because I assumed when Russia and N. Korea are neutral, the areas would be neutral too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YosT wrote:
2. It seems like you can only have control over an area if you have a land unit in the area. Does this mean parts of China where there is no ground unit are neutral and that the PRC can't rebase aircrafts to this area?

The way I played it was that once a side controls an area, the other side has to have ground units there to regain control. (Example: China took Taiwan, then the US re-invaded and all ground units of both sides were wiped out in the combat. China retained control.)

I hope that was correct. Bruce?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joris
Netherlands
Haarlem
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not the way I played it, but you might be right. I thought that once all ground units are gone the area would become neutral.
I re-read the rules, but it's still not very clear to me. Your interpretation makes more sense though. Otherwise Japan would almost always go neutral in the beginning of the game (I normally do not place ground units there).
I somehow managed to miss that and played with Japan under US control, even though I played that Taiwan with no ground units would go neutral.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.