BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming with Kids

Subject: First boardgame - Cariboo or Obstgartchen rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: kids [+] [View All]
Phil Oates
United Kingdom
Leeds, West Yorkshire
flag msg tools

It's my son's second birthday this week, and for the past year or so I've been picking up a few games to force upon him so we can spend some quality time together.

Anyway, I don't want to overwhelm him, so I'm thinking one game for his birthday, see how it goes, then maybe another for Christmas. The two I think may be suitable for him now are

Cranium Cariboo

and

The Little Orchard

Any advice which would be better. Or is he still too young?

To make it more difficult, he is showing interest in counting and colours, but he also loves animals and nature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I cant speak specifically about the games you mentioned, but just turning 2 is still very young for boardgames. I recommend Go Away Monster. Both of my kids got a little enjoyment out of this one at that age.

I'd follow up with Candyland a little later. Its cheap and kids like it. Just house-rule that the special action cards dont make you go backwards if you draw them. Otherwise, the game can drag on past its welcome.

Some other games that work for very young kids are:

Hungry Hungry Hippos
Snail Pace Race
Dont Break the Ice
Chicken Cha Cha (an improved spin on memory)

You'll have a lot more options at 3 and 4, but there just isn't much for age 2.

cheers,
John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T D
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
I recommend Cariboo; it is fun, educational, and has chrome they enjoy in the form of the balls and treasure chest. They will deal with colors, counting, shapes, choice, limited selection, and most importantly - taking turns and passing the key It is more replayable as he grows older as well, there are beginner and advanced cards to play with.

My girls are 4 and 3 now and started playing about a year ago. My oldest was able to grasp all the card identification requirements (on the beginner side) and could make the connection with them and the doors on the board. My youngest has now caught up. It is amazing how excited they get when they discover one of the hidden balls. They are now metagaming...(cheating in this case) by trying to peek under the open doors for the location of other balls. I try to stop them from doing that but appreciate that they figured that out. However, even if they know where a ball is, they still need the right card. I ask them what is required to open that door so they begin to think about what cards they need in future turns.

Others have also recommend Snail's Pace Race for young children, but my girls find it terribly boring and it doesn't keep their attention now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie Taylor
Canada
Waterloo
ON
flag msg tools
I think they both look too old for a 2 year old. I'm rather experienced with this because when my 4 yr old started showing interest in games I began to stockpile. We now have approx. 30, and the only ones that have been really successful with my 2 1/2 yr old are Go Away Monster! and Monkey Madness. There are others that he likes to use as a toy: Knuckling Knights, Animal Upon Animal, Spooky Stairs, Geisterwäldchen and Hungry Hungry Hippos to name a few. And it's possible that your 2 yr old is way more advanced than mine, and would be better able to understand, but at this age, if you're wanting to play WITH them I'd recommend Go Away Monster or Monkey Madness.

That said, I've had great success with cooperative games and my 4 year old. It's nice for them to feel like you're on they're side. So I suspect that Obstgartchen could work very nicely for you, if not now, then soon.

Best of luck. Have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Oates
United Kingdom
Leeds, West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Thanks for the replies. Go Away Monster does look like a good choice, but I'm not sure I'll be able to lay my hands on a copy in time.

I think I'll go with Cariboo either now or at Christmas as it looks like there maybe some value in it as a toy if it doesn't work out as a game. I'll just hold on to the other stuff for a bit longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Paull
United Kingdom
Nailsworth
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We gave Obstgartchen to our godson for his third birthday and it was an instant success with him and with his parents (gamers) and friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I missed this yesterday!

I have both. Both are great games. But both are a little bit old for him; both would be perfect for a 3rd birthday.

For a 2nd birthday, I'd recommend either Go Away Monster! or Monkey Madness. If you get Monkey Madness, make sure to get the ravensberger/Knizia game, there's a totally different game with the same name from Hasbro or MB or something.

I really would wait. Cariboo is like magic if a child gets it at the right age, and Obstgartchen is great also! If you show them too early, then they won't be as special when your son grows into them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebekah B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard good things about both games, but don't have any personal experience with either.

I do have a 20-mo, though, and she likes Zimbbos! and Seebär, ahoi. She's not quite ready for the full games yet, but I would guess that she will be sometime within the next year. We do play modified versions of them and she's learning how to take turns, roll dice, identify colors, etc. Both games have great toy-like pieces that she loves, and both have helped her with hand-eye coordination. Seebar Ahoi (also called Ship Ahoy) is a good one for color recognition, and both have counting aspects.

Ship Ahoy does have small pieces, so it wouldn't be a good choice for kids that put stuff in their mouths. I'm not sure how available it is, as I recently got it from the HABA clearance at maukilo.com. Mostly, she loves pulling the colored sails out of the bag, so she'd probably like Monkey Madness just as well.

Good luck finding games for your son! If you're willing to modify them to fit his skill level, you shouldn't have too much trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
My kids, nieces, and nephews were/are making activities of games at this age, and learning things like waiting for their turn, but here are a few ideas:

We played forms of Memory and Was fehlt denn da? adapted from memory-based games with great bits, like Enchanted Forest and Chicken Cha Cha Cha.

Cranium Hullabaloo was/is a hit and isn't dominated by the slightly older kids. It's more like square dancing than gaming though. ("Hop to a red. Slither to a triangle.")

At two, my kids would stack the animals in Animal Upon Animal, but they weren't playing by the rules. Slap Jack was about the level of rules that seemed to work for them at that age. (We also slapped Kings for more action.)

I should mention that my kids fell for toying with Hi Ho! Cherry-O when introduced to it by an older cousin. I HATE that game. I learned to give that cousin games as gifts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For what its worth, go away monster can be found for a reasonable price on ebay. I see some buy it nows that with shipping are around 18 bucks.

Cranium Hullabaloo was a bit hit with our kids too. There's no decisions to make, but it is fun for the 2-4 year old set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cher
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with several people here; these are great games for an older child, but they're too advanced for age two. Orchard is a beautiful, well produced game, but there are lots of little pieces and somewhat fragile fruit baskets. I've used it in my Montessori classroom on special days, and I find that it works best with children aged 4-5. Three-year-olds can play it, but they need to be very directed and don't understand the purpose of the game as well. They do tend to like to play with the pieces.

I'd recommend that you check out www.haba.de; they are the company that produces Orchard, and they have some really beautiful parent-directed toys that are sort of "pre-games." You can find their products in several places that specialize in European toys on the internet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Guay
Canada
Memramcook
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Obstgartchen but not the version you pictured. check out my review at:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/328614

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
nickguay wrote:
I recommend Obstgartchen but not the version you pictured. check out my review at:
That is not Obstgartchen. There are two games - Obstgarten (Orchard), and Obstgartchen (Little Orchard). You reviewed Obstgarten, this guy is talking about the other. It's very confusing! I even bought the "wrong game" once. Luckily I liked the one I bought a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Guay
Canada
Memramcook
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
nickguay wrote:
That is not Obstgartchen. There are two games - Obstgarten (Orchard), and Obstgartchen (Little Orchard). You reviewed Obstgarten, this guy is talking about the other. It's very confusing! I even bought the "wrong game" once. Luckily I liked the one I bought a lot.

Oh I see, thanks for pointing that out. I thought it was just a mini version of Orchard but it turns out it's not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Oates
United Kingdom
Leeds, West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Well, as this thread has just resurfaced, I might as well let you know my decision was to save the games until later; hopefully Christmas this year, or maybe next birthday.

I don't think the games would have got much of a look in ahead of Bob the Builder and Thomas the Tank Engine at the moment anyway.

Thanks again for the input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.