Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Nichols
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played AH the other night with Jenny B, and had to take a madness (mania) to avoid lossing a bunch of spells. I can understand the adding clues to checks would be done in pairs (so you waste clues), but how does it affect gate sealing? Do you spend 6 clues (3 pairs), 5 clues (spend 2 or more), or can she no longer seal gates (2=/=5)? Thanks! -MickeyD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Quote:
Mania:
Whenever you spend Clue tokens, you must spend them in groups of 2.
If you ever gain another Mania card, you are devoured.

Since it normally takes 5 Clue tokens to seal a gate, she would have to spend 6 (3 pairs) as you mentioned). If the environment card is out that allows you to reduce them to 4, she could go back to 4 Clue tokens like everyone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
And likewise she'd suffer no penalty if Hastur was the GOO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nichols
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Brian!

I guessed the 3-pairs, as I was hoping she wasn't barred from sealing gates. -MickeyD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Jedit wrote:
And likewise she'd suffer no penalty if Hastur was the GOO.

Well, no more of a penalty than the others

Unless you had hastur and the environment card which would require 7 clues and send her back to 8. But you get it now anyway!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
"Noden's favor" (sic) reduces the Clues needed to seal a gate by 2, not one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Luke the Flaming wrote:

You're right. I was getting confused with the +1 Clue from R'lyeh Rising. So Nodens doesn't effect you (since it is a -2) but this one could make it change up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Luke the Flaming wrote:

You're right. I was getting confused with the +1 Clue from R'lyeh Rising. So Nodens doesn't effect you (since it is a -2) but this one could make it change up.

Doesn't "R'lyeh Rising" raise by 1 the difficulty to close R'lyeh gates (rather than the Clue needed to seal them)?

I only remember the Blight Card for "O. Thomas" raising (by 1, by the way) the needed Clues to seal gates (apart Hastur's power, of course).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
You're right again.

I am going to chalk this one up to a +90-degree day at the jobsite with no air conditioning, screaming Union B.A.'s, collapsing walls, an hour of overtime, and general bad moods all-around the site.

I am going to go take a nap now. You're in charge Luca.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vidar Madsen
Norway
N-4262 Avaldsnes
flag msg tools
mb
Luke the Flaming wrote:
Doesn't "R'lyeh Rising" raise by 1 the difficulty to close R'lyeh gates (rather than the Clue needed to seal them)?

Speaking of difficulty, just a quick question. I think that we might have been playing that bit incorrectly. Does the added difficulty add one to the gate's modifier (or subtract one, technically), or does it mean you need two successes to close it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
R'leyh Rising in play and trying to close a gate to R'lyeh:

-3 modifier (as per the gate) to your Fight/Lore

# of successes needed: 2 (1 + 1 difficulty from RR)

(add to that if the GOO is the one who adds 1 to difficulty of close/seal, you're looking at minimum 6 Fight/Lore to have any chance and even then need 3 successes on 3 dice devil )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vidar Madsen
Norway
N-4262 Avaldsnes
flag msg tools
mb
Dam the Man wrote:
R'leyh Rising in play and trying to close a gate to R'lyeh:

-3 modifier (as per the gate) to your Fight/Lore

# of successes needed: 2 (1 + 1 difficulty from RR)

(add to that if the GOO is the one who adds 1 to difficulty of close/seal, you're looking at minimum 6 Fight/Lore to have any chance and even then need 3 successes on 3 dice devil )

Crikey! surprise Thanks for the clarification. As I suspected, we have played it wrong, using a -4 modifier on the gate instead of "-3 [2]".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
You're right again.

I am going to chalk this one up to a +90-degree day at the jobsite with no air conditioning, screaming Union B.A.'s, collapsing walls, an hour of overtime, and general bad moods all-around the site.

Interesting. Myself, I'd chalk it up to there being 300 or so Mythos cards now, and anyone who can remember all of them belongs in Arkham Asylum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Jedit wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
You're right again.

Interesting. Myself, I'd chalk it up to there being 300 or so Mythos cards now, and anyone who can remember all of them belongs in Arkham Asylum.

There are "ony" 170 Mythos cards... and after you play the game 235 times you tend to remember them quite well (I may still qualify for the Asylum, thoug ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nichols
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I learned something new, too, and it wasn't even the question I asked! I too have been playing R'leyh Rising wrong as well. -MickeyD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nichols
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Brian, everyone deserves a day off (or is it an off day?)! You're still a great resource to have! -MickeyD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MickeyD wrote:
You're still a great resource to have! -MickeyD

Yeah, Ally deck is really useful !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
MickeyD wrote:
Hey Brian, everyone deserves a day off (or is it an off day?)! You're still a great resource to have! -MickeyD

Thanks! Today is about 30-degrees cooler and we are knocking off early for the holiday weekend. Basically, the exact opposite of yesterday!

Regardless, I'll try not to ramble off-topic without looking things up first.

So with the extra time, I think I will get a solo game in of AH!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.