Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So Deb and I decide to play this last night. We quickly went over the rules, and everything seemed clear enough. Being the gracious sort, I let her go first.

That was my first mistake. She rolls a 2-4, quickly moves ahead 4 spots, and immediately grabs the first treasure card. I don't have much forward movement in my hand, so I decide to load up on gunpowder and food. The Ghost Ship moves on ahead, and I'm bringing up the rear already.

On my roll, I get a crappy roll that doesn't match my cards or position very well. I move forward a tiny bit, but have to spend a lot of food. Deb then reveals her card, and it's naturally perfect for her, she moves ahead and quickly grabs her 2nd treasure card. She reveals Morgan's Map, which will give her an extra card advantage.

Here was my second mistake, I forgot to plan for the Ghost Ship. Since I'm now ahead of it, it *must* move forward, and that makes it land squarely on... ME. I use my gunpowder to hopefully fend him off, but I roll a 4 to his 10, and lose. Deb gleefully takes a big stack of food from my holds, and tosses it overboard. I send the Ghost Ship further along, hoping for it to catch her and slow her down.

Were now a couple of turns in, I've barely moved, with nearly empty holds, Deb is already past the first corner, full holds, and already two treasures. She goes again, reveals her double move ahead card, and jumps forward a long ways. And surprise, she lands on another treasure card. I collect some gold, she quickly sends the Ghost Ship backwards to land on me and start another fight. I lose again, my food goes overboard.

My roll... Snake eyes, 1-1. Yee haw. Just what I need. I'm foodless, and don't have a card with food in the morning to get what I need. Further, all my cards have movement and I'm forced to play a card that moves me forward on to a spot I can't pay for. I move forward, then am forced to retreat to a spot I can pay for. Which is the starting line. Deb is now literally half way around the course, while it's as if I haven't even moved. In fact, I have less possessions than I started with. It looks like the game will be a complete wipeout.

Over the next while, I start to make a comeback. I get some large movement forward, while Deb only moves forward a little bit. She has taken the long way around every corner, while I take the short routes. I manage to get a treasure card! Yeah, it's a +7, best possible pull for me. Deb gets a couple more too of course, now having six of them, and reveals Saran's Sabre. She sends the Ghost Ship at me again, but I roll the * and take a large chunk of gold as my spoils.

A couple of turns later, I roll 6-5, take the short cut again and miracle, I pull 3 spaces into the lead! I have a good chunk of gold and I can win this if I can get to the finish line first, and she's had some bad luck by pulling some cursed cards!

She then reveals her card, and it's like one of those moments in the movies where the action goes into super slow motion, and I let out a long drawn out "noooooooooo!". Her card is the double move forward card, lands on the pay 7 gold space, then sails ahead exactly to the finish line. It's all over, except for the counting.

Deb: 15 points for 1st, +7 and +3 treasures, -2 and -4 cursed, +2 gold = 21 points.
Steve: 4 points for 2nd, +7 treasure, +7 gold = 18 points.

Amazingly close, considering how far behind I was. I ended up in 4 battles, losing 3 of them, all to the Ghost Ship. Deb points out she never had to fight even once. Grrrrr.

On to the rematch, tonight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review! I was cracking up when you kept having your food tossed overboard!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, it's funny what you run into years later. I had forgotten I'd even posted this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.