Peter Putnam
United States
Reisterstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
#1. Early in the game always go after leaders. Leaders provide ¼ - 1/3 of what you need for a victory condition or each leader is worth 1 victory point. Even if you can’t use the leader during the game you’ll prevent the other players from taking the leader.

#2. On the first turn try to take 2 factions. Take a faction in 1st turn gives you an extra Laurel and the easiest time to take a faction is on the first turn.

#3. Take factions with the 2 cards when ever possible. You’re likely to get assassinated if you take over a faction with 3 or more cards.

#4. To minimize luck in Tribune rather than starting with 6 cards and keeping 4. I suggest starting with 4 cards and passing 3 to the player on your left. Then pass 2 and then pass 1. This will help prevent one player from getting multiple leaders.

#5. Remember the opportunity cost of each action. Followers can always be placed on the coin bowl for 5 denari.

#6. The Latrine is gamble but if you have a card worth 6+ it worth more than going to the coin bowl. If you can get a leader, you’ve hit the jack pot. You lose if the card is worth 3 – 4 points.

#7. The Atrium Auctionorum is one of the best regions to place your followers. This is an opportunity to get 3 cards and only place 1 worker. I think the minimum bid should be 5 for the Atrium unless it’s late in the game and the cards are useless. I’ve paid as much as 9 denari for the 3 cards.

#8. If your going to control the Gladiators, you could use the catacombs and basically get your money back for controlling the Gladiators.

#9. If you have the Temporary Favor of the God go to the Pantheon with your first follower so you can see what card you need to get the Permanent Favor of the Gods.

#10. The chariot is worth at least 5 denari for the person controlling the Patricians. For the players trying to become a Tribune it maybe worth more. It’s probably not worth 5 to protect the Gladiators, Legates and Praetorians.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Putnam
United States
Reisterstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

For the most balanced game, I would suggest 4 players and 4 objectives 5 followers each and no obligatory objective. I would also use #4.

#4. To minimize luck in Tribune rather than starting with 6 cards and keeping 4. I suggest starting with 4 cards and passing 3 to the player on your left. Then pass 2 and then pass 1. This will help prevent one player from getting multiple leaders by luck.

This game should take 4 - 5 turns. Each player will get a chance to go first. If the game goes 5 turns the first player will have a slight advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good ideas, Pete!

I'm still on the fence about buying this one. Maybe I'll get to play it again this weekend....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukasz Pogoda
Poland
Warszawa
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you think about removing leaders from the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Putnam
United States
Reisterstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't remove the leaders from the game. They add a lot to flavor and strategy of the game. And there is nothing better than finding a leader using the Latrine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Sioux City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KingPut wrote:
I wouldn't remove the leaders from the game. They add a lot to flavor and strategy of the game. And there is nothing better than finding a leader using the Latrine.

And nothing funnier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.