Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Blizzard
Canada
Salt Spring Island
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a situation which hasn't arisen in any of my games before. My opponent can not bring all 7 of his creatures onto the battleboard due to restricted movement and terrain. So one of his creatures will be immediately lost.
Does this count as a killed creature and I have to summon an Angel right away (which I can not because I have 7 creatures) or do I summon an Angel as normal, after killing his first creature?
Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Wolff
msg tools
davebliz wrote:
I've got a situation which hasn't arisen in any of my games before. My opponent can not bring all 7 of his creatures onto the battleboard due to restricted movement and terrain. So one of his creatures will be immediately lost.
Does this count as a killed creature and I have to summon an Angel right away (which I can not because I have 7 creatures) or do I summon an Angel as normal, after killing his first creature?
Thanks.

No it does not.
I looked in the rulebook and didn't see a clarification there (though I might have missed it), so it was probably an answer from AH at one time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't count as a killed character. As Bruno says, this is not clear in the rules, but I think it goes back to the official AH Q&A by Bruce Shelley.

Note, if it did count, you would run into the defensive strategy of deliberately leaving a character off the board to create this situation. So I think it's a good ruling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Blizzard
Canada
Salt Spring Island
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruno and David, thanks for the reply.
David, your comment on leaving a creature off intentionally to stop the summoning of the Angel makes it so obvious that it can not be classified as a killed creature.
By the way, the game is one that is on turn 93, my Titan(power 15), 2 Col, 2 Angels, Dra, Giant attacking a titan (power 10) and 6 serpents in the marsh. He will not be able to bring in the 6th serpent unless he hangs his titan out to dry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a common fate for the player with lots of serpents. Desert is even worse for him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomi Mononen
Finland
Kuopio
Pohjois-Savo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you clarify a bit the angel summoning (only played few not complete games). Can you summon the angel on your other turns than the first turn?
If you manage to kill one defender on your first turn you can summon angel. But if you dont manage to kill on the first turn can you still summon or is it too late?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Fuegi
United States
Framingham
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tjolmir wrote:
Could you clarify a bit the angel summoning (only played few not complete games). Can you summon the angel on your other turns than the first turn?
If you manage to kill one defender on your first turn you can summon angel. But if you dont manage to kill on the first turn can you still summon or is it too late?

Yes, you get to summon on the FIRST attacker half-turn that occurs after you kill a piece. Thus if on Attacker turn 2 or Defender turn 3 you kill your first piece, you could summon on Attacker turn 3. You can NOT summon if your legion already has 7 living pieces in it however. Also, if you don't summon during the battle (either choose not to or have 7 pieces when you could), you can summon at the end of the battle - obviously that assumes you win the battle and you can only summon one angel to a given battle (and one angel in a given turn) regardless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Wolff
msg tools
Tjolmir wrote:

Actually you can only summon on turns other than the first turn as there is no way to kill something on the defender's first turn in a way that counts for triggering summoning.
Tjolmir wrote:

Angel summoning is triggered by the first defender's character to die in the battle (not entering a character doesn't count for this purpose). On your next movement phase you may summon an angel. If you can't (possibly because your legion still contains seven characters) or choose not to, you don't get another opportunity until after the battle has ended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you summon an Angel if an opponent's legion flees?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Wolff
msg tools
drmabuse00 wrote:

No.
Concession and deals trigger angel summoning, but fleeing doesn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Bruno.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
brunowolff wrote:
drmabuse00 wrote:

No.
Concession and deals trigger angel summoning, but fleeing doesn't.

Hmm, I have definitely missed that in the rules, I'll have to go through the rules again. (Not that I don't believe you, because I do, but for it to "sink in", I'll need to see the rule so I can remind myself of where it is )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Section 15.2 has it:

If the attacker wins an Engagement by agreement or by the defender conceding, he may immediately summon an Angel, so long as he has one available and has not summoned one already uring the current Engagement Phase. If the defender flees, the attacker may not summon an Angel.

(my bold)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, thanks! You learn something new all the time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.