Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Arkham Horror: Dunwich Horror Expansion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Dunwich Horror first play questions. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Madgit McOgg
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
My wife and I just had our first play of DH last night and it was really fun! It has been a while since we had lost so miserably...

During our play a couple of questions did come up that I could not find answers to though (and playing at 3 am had nothing to do with that, I'm sure...).

Is the Dunwich Horror itself removed because of any generic card effects (such as a mythos card saying all monsters in the streets are returned to the cup) or by gate closures (if they have a moon symbol)? Normally the point would be moot since he would just reappear at the top of the hill because of the three DH tokens on the DH track but we had removed one after he had appeared due to an encounter at the Whateley farm (Pass a luck -1 check to remove one DH token). Or did we do that wrong, should he have been returned to the sideboard when that token was removed?

Also, is that a typo on the Livre D'Ivon (we had some Kingsport investigators mixed in) the first time it says discard? It really seems like it should say exhaust when you make the attempt and discard when you succeed, like all the other tomes. Currently is says discard when you attempt then discard again when you succeed, which makes no sense.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Madgit wrote:
Is the Dunwich Horror itself removed because of any generic card effects (such as a mythos card saying all monsters in the streets are returned to the cup)


Spawn monster aren't affected by them.

From http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffgforums/posts/list/114.p...

Quote:
5. Do "return monsters to the cup" effects work on Spawn monster or no? Can the Feds Raiding Arkham actually get rid of the Dunwich Horror? (06/13/08)
No. Spawn monsters should never returned to the cup by card effects like "Feds Raid Arkham".


Quote:
or by gate closures (if they have a moon symbol)? Normally the point would be moot since he would just reappear at the top of the hill because of the three DH tokens on the DH track but we had removed one after he had appeared due to an encounter at the Whateley farm (Pass a luck -1 check to remove one DH token). Or did we do that wrong, should he have been returned to the sideboard when that token was removed?


There aren't any gates with the Moon symbol (also, Greater Banishment also specifically prevents using the Moon symbol).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madgit McOgg
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Well, that was quick and easy. You are a rules answering ninja! Thanks for the link to the ruling about spawn monsters, forgot the DH was a spawn. We never even bothered to check gate symbols. I guess maybe that would have been a quick easy way to answer that question myself. It just never occurred to me that there wouldn't be certain symbols. Any rulings on the Livre D'Ivon or of discarding a DH token banishes him?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't have Kingsport (have read some mixed reactions to it), plus I'm happy with AH + DH combo, so have to skip the KH question.

As for banishing the DH, I wouldn't remove him if a counter is removed from the track. Don't think I've drawn that card yet, so if that doesn't mention anything about removing a wakened DH, I'd leave it in play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Madgit wrote:
Also, is that a typo on the Livre D'Ivon (we had some Kingsport investigators mixed in) the first time it says discard? It really seems like it should say exhaust when you make the attempt and discard when you succeed, like all the other tomes. Currently is says discard when you attempt then discard again when you succeed, which makes no sense.

Most likely a typo. Standard sequence for Tomes is to exhaust and use movement points. If it fails nothing happens.

The fact that the rest of this is carried out in the text (discard if successful; nothing happens if you fail) strongly suggests the first word should have been "Exhaust" instead of "Discard."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Dam the Man wrote:
Don't have Kingsport (have read some mixed reactions to it), plus I'm happy with AH + DH combo, so have to skip the KH question.

As for banishing the DH, I wouldn't remove him if a counter is removed from the track. Don't think I've drawn that card yet, so if that doesn't mention anything about removing a wakened DH, I'd leave it in play.

Agreed. The DH tokens and DH monster are two seperate things. While the DH monster is in play, nothing really happens with the DH tokens. You can remove them - but getting them to 0 doesn't do anything. And if he is out, increasing it up to 3 (or beyond) doesn't do anything either.

Once the DH monster is defeated in combat, then the track resets to 0 anyway. So keeping track of it while he is out is really just a waste of time. So I would ignore cards like these when he is in play. (Unless I am forgetting somethingt hat occurs when he is out and you need to look at the track.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madgit McOgg
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
And that answers everything. Thanks! You guys are amazingly fast. Like, scarily so. Sorry I couldn't find these myself, but my search-fu is weak.

We had a lot of fun playing last night, even with the confusion we suffered from these questions By pure chance it seems we played almost everything right though. Forgetting about he Dunwich board no counting towards monster limits is the only thing that hurt us, and that was a stupid mistake anyways. We're going to play again tonight with new investigators and see how we fare.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Duke
United Kingdom
Fleet
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Madgit wrote:
or by gate closures (if they have a moon symbol)?


There aren't any gates with the Moon symbol (also, Greater Banishment also specifically prevents using the Moon symbol).


You'll find the Moon symbol is used for all Earthly 'monsters' - cultists, maniacs, etc. The Dunwich Horror itself was born on Earth and is part-human, so it counts as Earthly. You obviously can't get rid of Earthly monsters by any means that sends them back to their home World!

Before the Dunwich and Kingsport expansions, every other monster symbol was uniquely tied to a specific Other World - and you'll find that the monsters with a particular symbol do tie up with the Other World associated with that symbol.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian,

Do you see any problem with using a time bomb to destroy the Dunwich Horror? That's what I did in a game the other day. I couldn't find anything that said I couldn't just put a time bomb on Sentinel Hill and take out the Dunwich Horror. Does that make sense to you?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Grimstax wrote:
Brian,

Do you see any problem with using a time bomb to destroy the Dunwich Horror? That's what I did in a game the other day. I couldn't find anything that said I couldn't just put a time bomb on Sentinel Hill and take out the Dunwich Horror. Does that make sense to you?


I don't see anything against it that would prevent it. But a couple of thoughts.

1) Being a Spawn monster, they may make a different ruling that says they can only be beaten in combat. Spawn monsters are somewhat above the rules already.

2) We may need official clarification because this is probably an unintended interaction between two expansions that might not have been checked.

3) Since the time bomb is what knocked out the DH, no one should get the reward for him being defeated. He just goes back off baord ready to be summoned again.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.