My son and I finally got around to tackling firefight number 3. I was lucky enough to draw the Hasty Defense card. Let me break down what I think I know about fortifications and you all tell me if I'm wrong or not
Things I think I understand:
* Units go under the fortification marker.
* Fortifications have their own DR (15 in the case of a hasty defense)
* Fortifications have DM. My hasty defense has a +1DM, so if I placed it in heavy woods, all units in it would receive +3DM. The +2DM of the heavy woods applies to the hasty fortification, so it is effectively a 17.
* Since they're stacked units, attackers would roll to hit the fortification AND they would roll to hit the unit(s) inside.
* If the fortification is destroyed, the remaining units still have the DM bonus for THAT attack.
btw, as the Soviet player, I got rocked on that one. Starting with only 6 CAP really hurts.